OT: 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics Thread

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Opening ceremonies on Friday at 6am EST.

Habs should put us to sleep early for an early wake-up.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Can't wait to watch the Men's Slopestyle snowboarding...those guys are absolutely nuts; look for Marcus Kleveland and McMorris to duke it out for gold.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Kleveland is a freaking master.

He's ridiculous, there is no other way to describe the talent he has. Had the pleasure of flying him and Terje Haakosen up to some spots a few months back. Really nice, humble guys

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's ridiculous, there is no other way to describe the talent he has. Had the pleasure of flying him and Terje Haakosen up to some spots a few months back. Really nice, humble guys

Flying him? Explain that.

Also; that video is amazing i still dont understand it.

At first i thought it wasnt intentional but then i saw the name on the video.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Flying him? Explain that.

Also; that video is amazing i still dont understand it.

At first i thought it wasnt intentional but then i saw the name on the video.

I pilot for a heli skiing operation, we fly direct from our lodge and some of the biggest names in skiing and snowboarding come here every year. I'd name my employer but I can get pretty spicy on these boards and it could come back to bite me..haha. We basically do this:

Sweet that you are in the know on this stuff though, there's obviously not much of a skiier/rider presence here.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I pilot for a heli skiing operation, we fly direct from our lodge and some of the biggest names in skiing and snowboarding come here every year. I'd name my employer but I can get pretty spicy on these boards and it could come back to bite me..haha. We basically do this:

Sweet that you are in the know on this stuff though, there's obviously not much of a skiier/rider presence here.

I expected that but i kinda hoped it wasnt that, im so incredibly jealous.
Totally a dream job. I hope you know how fortunate you are. (I dont doubt the hard work though)

Do you actually get to ski some of these runs or are you exclusively a pilot?

Sorry thats incredibly OT.

Reactions: covfefe

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I expected that but i kinda hoped it wasnt that, im so incredibly jealous.
Totally a dream job. I hope you know how fortunate you are. (I dont doubt the hard work though)

Do you actually get to ski some of these runs or are you exclusively a pilot?

Sorry thats incredibly OT.

Much appreciated! It's definitely a step up from my former career in downtown Toronto...but that is why I went to helicopter school in the first place. It's never too late to make a change.

I mainly pilot but, industry wide, there are more people with the requisite qualifications (ie. hours and avalanche operations education) than there are jobs, and I've also only been flying for 3 years. So that means I get to wear a few different hats at work and, on lucky days, I get to hop in for some runs if there is an empty seat in the chopper. We also do a bunch of staff days where everyone down to the dishwashers have the ability to ski a full day of epic lines. I'll Gopro my next run and put it up for you to see if you like.

Not every run is as pictured in that video and where we ski is generally contingent on overall group ability/avalanche conditions/visibility. But the vast majority of runs I get to do are better than what 99% of the public will ever see in their lives. And I don't mean to say that to gloat, more so to emphasize that you are completely right...this was a very a lucky spot for me to land (no pun intended.)

edit: Enough about me, back to the Olympics. /digression

Reactions: Mrb1p

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
This isn't the best opening ceremony I've seen, that will always be Athens, but I respect the fact they tried to be financially responsible with it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

We have a couple of other posters here who are pilots, if I'm not mistaken. Fascinating work, thanks for sharing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->