2018 Offseason Disappointment Tracker

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Our one of best forward and let him walk. I try not to be negative, but this was joke let him go and what term he got from Edmonton.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Our one of best forward and let him walk. I try not to be negative, but this was joke let him go and what term he got from Edmonton.

I like the guy, he stepped up when others didn’t this last season. However, I can see that DA is looking for where the rookies can step in. Kyle was occupying that space.

I wish him well. A professional and a good veteran warrior.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Nope. If you realize what the long term plan is it makes total sense.

The JT thread is where the drama over shiny new toys is at.
It's Bluesy in the sense of this being the typical 'thud' rather than 'bang' and expectations were surely higher than a few stop-gap, place-holders who hopefully won't be needed 2 years from now.

I think it's been clear for a while what the long-term plan is...but the message has just been sent that we're rebuilding and not legitimate contenders...barring a forth-coming major deal or two.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
  • STC Beer Prices Do Not Increase (Requested)

Doesn't the STC name change mean this one is technically true? :naughty:

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Thankful we are not doing some fire sale or paying bags of gold for elite talent.

Agreed. But are you ok with icing a squad that has zero chance at the Stanley Cup and may not even qualify for the playoffs...essentially wasting another year of your core's prime? If this ends up being the roster we break camp with, it's safe to say the off-season will have been a massive disappointment.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Agreed. But are you ok with icing a squad that has zero chance at the Stanley Cup and may not even qualify for the playoffs...essentially wasting another year of your core's prime? If this ends up being the roster we break camp with, it's safe to say the off-season will have been a massive disappointment.

I voted for 2nd round end in 18-19 in another thread with legit runs in 19-20 and 20-21.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012

I cannot disagree with this sentiment more. We upgraded our main positions of need with literally the 2 best Right Handed Shots in free agency, both at contracts for less then we expected. We didn't make the massive mistake of trading Thomas or Kyrou to make this team better, but still not good enougj to really challenge for the division. Hell, even if we got JT, I still we'd be the 3rd best team in the division. There was no quick fixes that suddenly would make us a Stanley Cup favorite. So we kept our one ticket to get there (our really strong prospect pool) and got good complimentary pieces.

For the situation we were in, I think DA completely nailed it.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I cannot disagree with this sentiment more. We upgraded our main positions of need with literally the 2 best Right Handed Shots in free agency, both at contracts for less then we expected. We didn't make the massive mistake of trading Thomas or Kyrou to make this team better, but still not good enougj to really challenge for the division. Hell, even if we got JT, I still we'd be the 3rd best team in the division. There was no quick fixes that suddenly would make us a Stanley Cup favorite. So we kept our one ticket to get there (our really strong prospect pool) and got good complimentary pieces.

For the situation we were in, I think DA completely nailed it.

Thank. You.

Reactions: Xanadude

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Yeah. I recall all of the fans clamoring for Perron and Bozak. Get real.

Any time those names were mentioned it was so in the vain of, "if all else fails". Safe to say all else has failed.
I'm not saying this doesn't fill a need within the roster, because these moves absolutely do so. But you compare hope (Tyler Johnson, ROR, Tavares, Duchene, Kadri, etc.) to reality (Perron & Bozak) how can anyone not call that a disappointment? I'm sure the Blues front office would have loved to have acquired ROR for Thompson and a 2nd...but by landing where they did, I imagine they'd be disappointed too. Othewise they've set their own expectations way too low.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111

Any time those names were mentioned it was so in the vain of, "if all else fails". Safe to say all else has failed.
I'm not saying this doesn't fill a need within the roster, because these moves absolutely do so. But you compare hope (Tyler Johnson, ROR, Tavares, Duchene, Kadri, etc.) to reality (Perron & Bozak) how can anyone not call that a disappointment? I'm sure the Blues front office would have loved to have acquired ROR for Thompson and a 2nd...but by landing where they did, I imagine they'd be disappointed too. Othewise they've set their own expectations way too low.
So we should have gone for it all this year? Trade away our picks and prospect and load up on players to make a cup run? That is fine, but if that happened, no one should be upset when that short run ends with no cups and for the next 10 years, we look like the Sabres or Edmonton had where the only thing we had to look forward to was not having to worry about playoff ticket prices.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Shiny new toys? Is that in reference to the kids I take it?

No JT is the shiny new toy...and other elite UFAs

I think some folks here believe having these elite guys down select to us is some kind of validation in itself of the organization. I'd rather we stay with our game plan and make it work.

Maybe it's me just chaffing at that silly Tavares Watch thread. What a waste of time. Like teenagers with the latest Tiger Beat mag pining over some boy toy.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I think some folks here believe having these elite guys down select to us is some kind of validation in itself of the organization. I'd rather we stay with our game plan and make it work.

Maybe it's me just chaffing at that silly Tavares Watch thread. What a waste of time. Like teenagers with the latest Tiger Beat mag pining over some boy toy.

Yes, much more useful to spend one's time continuously bitching about the Tavares thread then to enjoy posting and reading other people's thoughts in it. I'd much rather be a hopeful teenager than a crotchety old man always complaining about them damn kids.

frabz-i-dont-always-complain-but-when-i-do-i-make-sure-its-about-somet-13d3c3.jpg
old-people-complain-about-everything-and-nothing.jpg

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012

For one thing, on your hopes list, Johnson, Kadri, and Duchene were literally never going to happen. Johnson and Kadri are playing on arguably the two best teams in the East, why would they sell? And there has been no murmerings Duchene even being on the market. And yeah, Tavares would have been awesome, but he didn't want to play here, the end. That just leaves O'Reilly, who Buffalo had no real reason to move unless we went over the top on the offer. And even if we DID do that, do you think trading Kyrou, a 1st. and etc. For O'Reilly would suddenly make us a contender for a Cup? Cause it wouldn't.

So, I'm not disapointed because the only two on that group I thought even were possible to happen was Tavares and O'Reilly. And the only one on that list I even WANTED to happen was Tavares. Once it became clear that wasn't going down, Bozak was the obvious target to me. And thenonly reason I didn't mention Perron as an option is I thought he was gonna get overpaid like mad.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

Yeah it would’ve been a real shame if the Blues were able to add a top 10 center in his prime. Thank goodness that didn’t happen.

Reactions: 91ReasonsYouLose

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I'd much rather be a hopeful teenager than a crotchety old man always complaining about them damn kids.
Hey now. There is something therapeutic about yelling at kids to stay off your lawn. Don't knock that until you try it!

Now if your sentences start with "I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those damn kids", then I can't help you there.

Reactions: 91ReasonsYouLose

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO

I just hate how much we tied up long term in guys like Bozak and especially Perron. I guess I'll like it more in time when Sobotka, JBo and Steen are off the books. But right now we have a crap ton of money tied up in guys that will get 30-45 points next year.

I don't mind that we didn't make big trades. We are wasting one of Petro's last 4-5 great years but we have clearly committed to infusing the future with top prospects. At least we committed to it. We got a 1st for Stastny last year and got Bokk and now we didn't trade any top prospects. Our identity is retooling. We could still make the playoffs but yes...we aren't a Cup team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad