2018 Offseason Disappointment Tracker

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
I spent time away from the board as well but it was mostly external factors. We always come back though it’s hard to resist
I'm new to this forum. I used to post on the PD forum but good lord it was full of negativity and trolls. This place is much better and I can see why people would keep wanting to come back.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Did you think Vegas was going to get to the finals last year?

This isn't a game where the best team on paper usually wins. The best three or four teams on paper don't always make it out of the second round. If you've got a reasonably talented team and you're playing well as a team, you have a legitimate chance. It's not going to be a great chance, but even the President's Trophy winner gets no better than a 20-25% chance to win it all from Vegas when the playoffs start, and they're likely overstating the actual percentages a bit because people tend to bet the favorites even at poor odds.

If the only thing that will make you happy is a top five team on paper, you will be better off being a fan of a different franchise because it's an uphill battle for an organization like St. Louis to get there.

Sorry, for taking this long to answer. I've partied couple days now, No more Berglund! :bb:

Seriously, I just view so commonly Vegas success as 1. everybody thinks we sucks, lets show to them. 2. Gerard Gallant I wan't to show I don't suck as coach 3. guys who has been underrated in previous team(s) and not given change to play higher minutes perform their level and higher (mental confident and success give more confiden). 4. perfect system + everybody has to play 100% to get change to play in Knights, look Tatar.

Vegas run was once in the lifetime. I don't believe they will be that dangerous next season. That was their chance.

Well, I view before all these trades our roster was horrendous, not balanced and looks like there was also locker room problems (Thompson) and maybe Jake Allen too? giving players 'look' when you fail and play badly.

After these trade our roster look pretty f***ing nice (contender), I love it. Dougie has fill our needs 2c and another center who is offensively upgrade what we had (Berglund/Sobotka) + 3 players who 2 of them are right handed. It gives tools to improve our powerplay which will be different level in next season. Easily.

Army did fast pace draftee with 2019 1st round pick + Thompson, get rid off mediocre 3rd liners. Which in my mind would return only 2nd or 3rd round pick(s). I just believed you can only get ROR type of player by draft not by trade without losing too much. So this fast 'draftee' move by Army is genius. ('draftee', I don't know is that even word) Note also that we don't bleed now our best players prime years away being just mediocre bubble team or 1st round playoff easy sweep. Now we're in paper good and real dangerous team, contender.

I was a bit shocked when reading your statement 'you will better off being a fan of a different frenchise', it hurted, 'cus I've read that kind of bs from normal members and I view it as bashing down type of writing and not value my vision of how to build team. I've deserved all those hard words of my negative writing, but why I need to chance my vision and writing if some ones are butt hurt of it? I just haven't liked our GM 'back and forward' type of building team vision or lack of it.
Now this is 2nd off-season where Army's direction has been clear for everyone and right healthy direction too. He has upgraded top 6 players, understand when to cool down and re-evaluate when trade for futures. (Stastny trade) I still view if Army+Yeo is at in some level what I see him doing now, he'll re-evaluate our d-core at this off-season and give guys like Mikkola/Walman legit chance for play up. Guys like Jbo and Gunnar will be on hard test of if guy like Mikkola can fill the hole and be upgade of one of them andI don't believe anymore that Armys doesn't hesitate to trade that weak link from team at next TDL. I believe also Husso will get chance too. I hope coaching staff will be more open for possible positive performances at AHL and give those kids chance too. No more vets are better option then kids mindset.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I was a bit shocked when reading your statement 'you will better off being a fan of a different frenchise', it hurted, 'cus I've read that kind of bs from normal members and I view it as bashing down type of writing and not value my vision of how to build team. I've deserved all those hard words of my negative writing, but why I need to chance my vision and writing if some ones are butt hurt of it? I just haven't liked our GM 'back and forward' type of building team vision or lack of it.

I have changed my stance with regards to your positing. I used to defend you and empathize with you when people criticized your negativity. I too have often been critical of Armstrong and agree with a lot of your opinions, Jake Allen being one of them. Eventually I noticed a difference. While we may agree on Allen's contract extension being a mistake, I urgently hope I am eventually proven wrong or Armstrong can find a way to fix it. Your posts make it seem like you want Allen to fail, fail spectacularly, and drag the whole team down in an epic dumpster fire of woe. Then you can post your kitten soft pictures, say I told you so and belittle those who liked Allen. You have said as much in the past, that you can't wait until something bad happens so you can laugh at the board's pain. Its that desire to see your negative predictions come true that drives the backlash more than the negativity itself. A guy like @Celtic Note is often critical of Armstrong and rarely overly hopeful of the team lately. But he is easily a top 5 poster on the board and rarely, that I have seen, gets grief. He gives the impression that even though he may not think something will work in the Blues favor, he will be celebrating if it does. For you, if Allen caught fire and won the Vezina and Conn Smythe, I think you'd be genuinely upset by that. True or not, that's how you come across. And I cannot call someone who thinks that way a fan, nor call someone who actually wants to see fellow posters suffer a friend.

Reactions: Novacain

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I have changed my stance with regards to your positing. I used to defend you and empathize with you when people criticized your negativity. I too have often been critical of Armstrong and agree with a lot of your opinions, Jake Allen being one of them. Eventually I noticed a difference. While we may agree on Allen's contract extension being a mistake, I urgently hope I am eventually proven wrong or Armstrong can find a way to fix it. Your posts make it seem like you want Allen to fail, fail spectacularly, and drag the whole team down in an epic dumpster fire of woe. Then you can post your kitten soft pictures, say I told you so and belittle those who liked Allen. You have said as much in the past, that you can't wait until something bad happens so you can laugh at the board's pain. Its that desire to see your negative predictions come true that drives the backlash more than the negativity itself. A guy like @Celtic Note is often critical of Armstrong and rarely overly hopeful of the team lately. But he is easily a top 5 poster on the board and rarely, that I have seen, gets grief. He gives the impression that even though he may not think something will work in the Blues favor, he will be celebrating if it does. For you, if Allen caught fire and won the Vezina and Conn Smythe, I think you'd be genuinely upset by that. True or not, that's how you come across. And I cannot call someone who thinks that way a fan, nor call someone who actually wants to see fellow posters suffer a friend.

Wait what? Allen win vezina and I would be pissed? :laugh: Only if he would do it in other team I would. I hate/hated Allen being handed to be #1 goaltender without proven he is. I give him respect when he won that one series by himself at playffs against Wild, but after that he has fall behind what he used to be.

I don't need your guys approval I'm I right fan in your eyes or not. Heck I've told I'm Hawk fan. :laugh: I understand it perfectly if you guys don't like my posts and you guys go bash mode and I'll suck it up I'm fine by it, but when it said by mod. I've to think about is there really room for me here...

I don't compare members to others who is better or who is not who cheers for Blues right way. I think that speaks up itself what kind of person he really is.

But in topic as disappointment I'm thrilled as Blue fan what team we have in paper and I believe we'll see Army upgrading some positions and same time lurking for the future.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Yeah I miss 2MM. We didn't always agree but I felt we always respected each others opinions. I hope he comes back in the future.
He was very level headed, could always count on him to put the situation in perspective when I'd be flipping out about some bad situation with the team. He was very much like Easton in that way, a big loss for the forum imo I really hope he comes back for this season.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I guess I am sort of a negative Nancy.

I try to be critical from a logical rather than an emotional place. Whether I am successful there can be left to others. Regardless my critical nature comes from high expectations. As a general philosophy I believe that we all can reach another level and likely more than a few. So, let’s head that direction, because why not? When it comes to our team that belief is elevated largely because I want nothing more than for the Blues to win a Cup in my lifetime. I will be one elated dude if that ever comes true and I am man not what one would call an emotional guy. I am not one to stay in the celebration phase very long, because I am always looking at the next step in the hike. But the Blues winning the Cup? Yeah, that’s the frigging top, so I would bask heavily and for a long time.

By the way this is not some attempt refute your post. I figured it might help others understand my vantage.

Anyway, I am feeling pretty positive about the season now that we made the moves I thought we needed to make to take that next step. And we did so using the assets I felt should be expendable. There was some fist pumping upon the announcement of the ROR deal for sure!

But ultimately I am still looking for the chinks in the armor to see where we can strengthen the guard. That Cup is in sight. Let’s get it closer!

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Boy, this thread turned into quite the introspective examination.

Also, I think we can all agree that it wouldn't be the end of the world to Ransku if Allen won the Vezina. It's not like Allen is Swedish. Come on guys.
You haven't been paying attention to Ransku very closely have you :laugh:

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
The only disappointment now is that it's July 3rd and not October 3rd.
I know right? What turned out to be a long and disappointing season just ended, but after that shocking day of free agency I feel completely re-energized and antsy for the new season to start. When less than a week ago I was ready for the summer break with the draft & FA being plenty lol.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
You haven't been paying attention to Ransku very closely have you :laugh:
I think he's funny, but then I as I've already stated I haven't been around posting much for the last 2 years. I'm sure that makes a difference.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
The worst thing about my usual disappointment with the Blues is that I can't really complain or be disappointed with this year's off-season FA signings, lol!! The Blues are once again trying to suck me in and get me all excited for the next season!! Somehow, I fall for it every year, I see the lineups and I keep thinking "We could win it all this year", lol!! I like what we have done with our lineup, now we have to hope that our goaltending holds up!!

Reactions: Dbrownss and Ranksu

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The worst thing about my usual disappointment with the Blues is that I can't really complain or be disappointed with this year's off-season FA signings, lol!! The Blues are once again trying to suck me in and get me all excited for the next season!! Somehow, I fall for it every year, I see the lineups and I keep thinking "We could win it all this year", lol!! I like what we have done with our lineup, now we have to hope that our goaltending holds up!!
St. Louis is deffinently Lucy Van Pelt and were Charlie Brown

Reactions: Borderbluesfan

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Sorry, for taking this long to answer. I've partied couple days now, No more Berglund! :bb:

Seriously, I just view so commonly Vegas success as 1. everybody thinks we sucks, lets show to them. 2. Gerard Gallant I wan't to show I don't suck as coach 3. guys who has been underrated in previous team(s) and not given change to play higher minutes perform their level and higher (mental confident and success give more confiden). 4. perfect system + everybody has to play 100% to get change to play in Knights, look Tatar.

Vegas run was once in the lifetime. I don't believe they will be that dangerous next season. That was their chance.

Well, I view before all these trades our roster was horrendous, not balanced and looks like there was also locker room problems (Thompson) and maybe Jake Allen too? giving players 'look' when you fail and play badly.

After these trade our roster look pretty ****ing nice (contender), I love it. Dougie has fill our needs 2c and another center who is offensively upgrade what we had (Berglund/Sobotka) + 3 players who 2 of them are right handed. It gives tools to improve our powerplay which will be different level in next season. Easily.

Army did fast pace draftee with 2019 1st round pick + Thompson, get rid off mediocre 3rd liners. Which in my mind would return only 2nd or 3rd round pick(s). I just believed you can only get ROR type of player by draft not by trade without losing too much. So this fast 'draftee' move by Army is genius. ('draftee', I don't know is that even word) Note also that we don't bleed now our best players prime years away being just mediocre bubble team or 1st round playoff easy sweep. Now we're in paper good and real dangerous team, contender.

Now this is 2nd off-season where Army's direction has been clear for everyone and right healthy direction too. He has upgraded top 6 players, understand when to cool down and re-evaluate when trade for futures. (Stastny trade) I still view if Army+Yeo is at in some level what I see him doing now, he'll re-evaluate our d-core at this off-season and give guys like Mikkola/Walman legit chance for play up. Guys like Jbo and Gunnar will be on hard test of if guy like Mikkola can fill the hole and be upgade of one of them andI don't believe anymore that Armys doesn't hesitate to trade that weak link from team at next TDL. I believe also Husso will get chance too. I hope coaching staff will be more open for possible positive performances at AHL and give those kids chance too. No more vets are better option then kids mindset.

I remember reading your first post to this forums as a lurker years ago. You were full of optimism! Hope this off season lifts your spirits through the whole year. Winters are tough here without good hockey can’t imagine what it’s like there.

Although my one trip to Helsinki in spring of 2001 I didn’t want to leave lol. So maybe I got that wrong.

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
I remember reading your first post to this forums as a lurker years ago. You were full of optimism! Hope this off season lifts your spirits through the whole year. Winters are tough here without good hockey can’t imagine what it’s like there.

Although my one trip to Helsinki in spring of 2001 I didn’t want to leave lol. So maybe I got that wrong.
Pic or it didn't happen!

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Hi, long-time lurker here.

I admit that I wanted Doug Armstrong fired for years. The past two offseasons have changed things in a big way. Even if we fall short, it won't be because of what Armstrong's done.

So, yeah, count me as cautiously optimistic! :D

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
The real scary thing about this team imo is as good as it looks rignt now, if Thomas and Kyrou keep developing and our goaltending gets solved, 2019-20 looks even better.

Reactions: BlueDream

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
My biggest disappointment so far this year is that I can't really blame Armstrong any longer for the team, and I can no longer jump on the blame Berglund or Sobotka bandwagons, lol!! The only thing I can really complain about is the Jake Allen as starting, overpaid goaltending threads, lol!! Good thing that we signed Maroon so some of the posters here still have someone to complain about, lol!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad