Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again... now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Some of you are very silly talking about how Karlsson is a luxury but what we really need is more grit on the bottom 6.

Or maybe some of you should stop acting like emotional fangirls and see with objectivity that this defense is much better than Murray or Quenneville ever had in hand for their semi-dynasty Cup runs. If getting Karlsson doesn't include giving up Sergachev++, we're all for it, but I'm so sorry that some people with a functioning brain doesn't like the idea of losing him.

Reactions: Todd1a

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We had a third liner put up 60 points this year. EVERY addition, at this point, is a luxury.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
We had a third liner put up 60 points this year. EVERY addition, at this point, is a luxury.
I don't get the the mindset of "luxury". So if your team but is good, you shouldn't try to make it better? :dunno:

Reactions: Rschmitz

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Yeah, Karlsson is a hockey god, but the way the team is structured on defense, he's a luxury, a terrific one but still a luxury. The biggest problem wit the defense core is more related to why it underachieved system-wise, than the need to improve its workforce.

I still don't agree with giving up too many pieces on FA, but IF Yzerman really wants, needs, has to make a splash, just go after Artemi Panarin and be done with it. He'll cost a lot less than Karlsson and fills a gap.

Panarin-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Johnson
Miller-Cirelli-Gourde
Killorn-Paquette-Callahan

And that top 9 is almost all interchangeable.
If we got Panarin and kept Kucherov I think we are the cup favorite. Personally I like that better than EK. Panarin has carried lines for two different teams. Hawks fans talk about how great Toews was but look at his stats since Panarin went to the CBJ. Panarin has very similar stats with less talent.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We don't need more wingers. If we can turn two of them say Killorn + Johnson for Panarin than sure it works cap wise too. But I just don't see us offloading some for fair value so wouldn't make sense. They aren't going to help us out like that for Panarin.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
No one will just help us out now that we are cup favorites and contenders. Twitter is still blowing up with EK to TBL tweets and rumors from "verified" sources.

I think the only we get EK is to include Foote+1st+ one of Stralman,Johnson, or Kilhorn. I hope it doesn't happen because Foote will be essential to saving us some cap in future years. If they can work out a deal with 1st round picks+Johnson/Kilhorn/Stralman any combination it would be a huge upgrade a luxury. Realistically Yzerman will probably stand pat and wait until EK is a free agent.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I imagine this going just like the intro to the first avengers movie.

Over walkie talkie: We fell short again... now what do we do?

*Erik Karlsson's name appears in Avengers font while the main theme plays*

Reactions: TheGreatOutlaw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad