2018 off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
The problem is I sont think ROR is going to come that cheap. Buffalo really needs to start winning. If they're trading away one of their impact players, they're going to want something back that will either help them now, or be so lopsided in futures that it's a no brainer. From a buffalo perspective, that deal probably has to include one of Sanheim or Myers, which is why I'd prefer to stay where we are

If you want to acquire players like ROR, then you have to pay the price. I'd happily move one of them for a player of ROR's caliber. You can't keep everyone.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If you want to acquire players like ROR, then you have to pay the price. I'd happily move one of them for a player of ROR's caliber. You can't keep everyone.

I wasnt suggesting that ROR isnt worth them. Just that I sont think adding ROR fixes the problems. I'm of the mindset -right wrong or indifferent- that I dont want to make major moves until we prove that some of our young kids that we think will be good bottom 6ers show that they can be. Because if we acquire ROR, and our potential bottom 6ers dont pan out, were in the same boat, just with less cap yo fo out and fix it.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I wasnt suggesting that ROR isnt worth them. Just that I sont think adding ROR fixes the problems. I'm of the mindset -right wrong or indifferent- that I dont want to make major moves until we prove that some of our young kids that we think will be good bottom 6ers show that they can be. Because if we acquire ROR, and our potential bottom 6ers dont pan out, were in the same boat, just with less cap yo fo out and fix it.
If the bottom 6ers don’t turn out the team is screwed anyway so it won’t matter. If the plan is to build thru the draft and the prospects bust, then the organization will have to start from scratch again.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We don't NEED an expensive C that needs PP time. We have Couts and Patrick for the top 6. We need a cheaper #3 C that can get 30 ES points. A guy that is here for 1-2 years to bridge to Frost.

Spending big assets to add a guy like ROR makes no sense. I would much rather add 2 good 3rd liners instead...1 being a C.

And time to step up and try to improve the goaltending. Putting all our faith in Hart is dumb. Go get a legit starter for the next few years.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If the bottom 6ers don’t turn out the team is screwed anyway so it won’t matter. If the plan is to build thru the draft and the prospects bust, then the organization will have to start from scratch again.

Cheap-ish bottom 6ers busting is a lot different than a Frost or Myers busting. You can get by if all of the former dont work out, it's just harder. If the latter dont qor out, you've got no prayer. Look no further than Montreal for proof.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We don't NEED an expensive C that needs PP time. We have Couts and Patrick for the top 6. We need a cheaper #3 C that can get 30 ES points. A guy that is here for 1-2 years to bridge to Frost.

Spending big assets to add a guy like ROR makes no sense. I would much rather add 2 good 3rd liners instead...1 being a C.

And time to step up and try to improve the goaltending. Putting all our faith in Hart is dumb. Go get a legit starter for the next few years.

And that cheaper center preferably is a plus PK killer, so Giroux can reduce his minutes and focus on ES and PP.
And a RW who can fill out a bottom six line with NAK while we wait for all the young forwards to marinate in LHV.

This teams needs depth, the kind of depth where you can put together a top checking line to throw against Crosby/Malkin or another teams top two lines for 12-14 minutes at ES, so your scoring line can focus on scoring.

And better 2nd and 3rd D-pairs so you don't have a huge falloff when Provorov leaves the ice.

And a goalie who can stay healthy and play 3 or 4 good games in a row.

When they don't need are expensive stars who are being paid for PP points that they won't get here.

Right now we have Laughton (LW), Raffl (LW), and NAK (RW) as our potential bottom six.
We need more help there.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Ok who are the good 3rd liners in free agency?

ROR has double the amount of PP goals as Couturier this year with a crappier supporting cast. Couldn’t he replace Couturier’s spot and save him some minutes? And it wasn’t like the PP1 was off the charts elite that is could not be improved.

If you can’t put all your faith in Hart, shouldn’t the same be true with Frost?

I think ROR would be a good move depending on the price. I would rather the big move be to fix the defense but I don’t think this team just needs some grinders to compete after the top of the lineup got its teeth kicked in by the top of Pittsburgh’s lineup.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'd be more than fine with pissing away next year if it meant that the garbage was gone and the kids were being communicated with and nurtured and allowed to play through their mistakes. Could they really be any worse than Andrew, Mandrew and Gudas have been anyway? Worse than Torgo and Flip and Moonhead? Really? Instead of acting like an unfrozen ****ing caveman, talk them through their growing pains, help them and establish a culture of comfort and growth rather than a culture of punitive horse ****.

Tanner L, Allison, Bunny, Rubtsov, Frosty, Hart - you'd have to think that all these guys are at least a year away. Get Voro and NAK and Myers and Morin in there, at least, and let them get the kinks out next season, so the following season the next wave can come in and get their kinks out with the other three-quarters of the roster kinkless. I'd love to go Couts-NP-Frosty-Voro down the middle and fill in around them and just see what happens. Maybe add a goaltender if we could find one (as if lol). Maybe toss in a new coach who isn't a complete asshat, that would be nice.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Trade off Simmonds for a 1st rounder. Trade Neuvy for a 3rd rounder. Trade off Mrazek's rights for a low pick. Lehtera and Weise to the minors. Buy out AMac. Bring up talented younger players, such as Vorobyev, NAK, Martel, Morin and Myers. Also have Stolarz as the 1B.

Giroux-Couts-Konecny
Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek
Martel-Laughton-NAK
Weal-Vorobyev-Raffl

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Myers
Morin-Hagg
Gudas

Elliott
Stolarz

PP1:
G-Couts-Patrick
Ghost-V

PP2:
Lindblom-Konecny-Martel
Provy-Sanheim

PK1:
Couts-Vorobyev
Provy-Morin

PK2:
Giroux-Laughton
Hagg-Myers

Last edited:

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
Trade off Simmonds for a 1st rounder. Trade Neuvy for a 3rd rounder. Trade off Mrazek's rights for a low pick. Lehtera and Weise to the minors. Buy out AMac. Bring up talented younger players, such as Vorobyev, NAK, Martel, Morin and Myers. Also have Stolarz as the 1B.

Giroux-Couts-Konecny
Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek
Martel-Laughton-NAK
Weal-Vorobyev-Raffl

Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Myers
Morin-Hagg
Gudas

Elliott
Stolarz

PP1:
G-Couts-Patrick
Ghost-V

PP2:
Lindblom-Konecny-Martel
Provy-Sanheim

PK1:
Couts-Vorobyev
Provy-Morin

PK2:
Giroux-Laughton
Hagg-Myers

That 3rd line would get manhandled on a nightly basis. Laughton is better served as a bottom 6 winger and guys like Weal or Martel aren't effective NHLers. It's time to spend some money and improve the bottom six. Hextall is going to have $15+ million in space to work with and that's not including whatever increase there is to the salary cap. No excuse to keep sitting on our hands so we can wait for these prospects to mature, this team should be trying to compete next season.

Reactions: Les Averman

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Elliott / Stolarz if it worked would be ideal, but right now it is giving me stomach cramps. #mylanta

Also, that bottom six. No me gusta.

Reactions: klutch

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Saying Martel is not an effective NHLer is not fair especially since he's barely had any NHL time this year and he really grew this year in the AHL. I think he deserves a chance at the NHL level next year, especially if he can keep scoring. Also, if you're talking about people with more size to help out the bottom 6, if you want him to go out and get people, there aren't that many options for stronger bottom 6 players. While the 3rd line isn't very big, they can be pretty tenacious.

The only other option to help out the 3rd line is to not trade Simmonds.

Martel-Vorobyev-Simmonds
Weal-Laughton-Raffl

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Saying Martel is not an effective NHLer is not fair especially since he's barely had any NHL time this year and he really grew this year in the AHL. I think he deserves a chance at the NHL level next year, especially if he can keep scoring. Also, if you're talking about people with more size to help out the bottom 6, if you want him to go out and get people, there aren't that many options for stronger bottom 6 players. While the 3rd line isn't very big, they can be pretty tenacious.

The only other option to help out the 3rd line is to not trade Simmonds.

Martel-Vorobyev-Simmonds
Weal-Laughton-Raffl

I think trading Simmonds - and getting a decent return - would actually help the 3rd line out considerably. Simmonds just isnt good at 5v5. the problem is do you want to trade Simmonds for Value in futures, or value in helping now.

I think its hard to make that determination until we know where the kids like NAK, Martel,l et all, stand at the NHL level.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
The 3rd line C option CAN be filled by Laughton - esp if Raffl is still around on his wing - that makes a good duo.

I'd like another face-off machine who can kill penalties here for the 4th line C - if I get all my wishes it's a player that also possesses speed.

Jay Beagle?
Torrey Mitchell?
Chris Wagner?

I would prefer to see a kid get a spot - esp if they can hold their own and keep up.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Sign Bozak for 3rd line duties, get Neal on wing and put him with NP

Giroux-Coots-Voracek
Neal-Patrick-Konecny
Lindblom-Bozak-Simmonds
Laughton-Vorby-NAK

Provorov-Amac
Ghost-Morin
Sanheim-Hagg

Move Raffl/Gudas for pucks.

Reactions: captainpaxil

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The problem with signing some of these centers is that I doubt they would take only a one year deal, especially with the likes of Vorobyev and Frost rising the ranks. I wouldn't want a center for more than a year.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
The problem with signing some of these centers is that I doubt they would take only a one year deal, especially with the likes of Vorobyev and Frost rising the ranks. I wouldn't want a center for more than a year.

We could sign them for 2? That gives our kids a bubble and if they are ready then they sit the vets....

If we trade Simmonds do we target a D, and if so, who?

I know Manson on the Ducks is someone who I have enjoyed watching.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
So my outlandish idea would be trade Simmonds for hopefully a late 1st plus something minor. Trade Voracek in a deal similar to Schenn's where we'd be getting back a couple nice picks (or preferably a legit NHL ready prospect) plus a dead weight but short contract. Use some combo of draft picks to offload MacDonald to offset the eating of the contract in the Voracek deal. Sign Taveres to 7 years @ 9ish, so one extra year and slightly more money than what Voracek has left on his deal. And then yea, go from there :thumbu:

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
If Tavares was signed before trading Voracek that wouldn't be a terrible idea. Voracek is a great player so you wouldn't have to take pennies back on a dollar if you're close to the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad