2018 off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They didn't bring them back yet. I think this is the glaring issue people somehow are forgetting.

Quite literally all Hextall has said so far is "We'll take a look at that later"

If Hextall really wanted these two, he'd be seeing "We're going to try and get a deal done"

They're just last resorts. Hexy is doing his proper GM-work by keeping doors open even if he doesn't actually want those players on the team next year.

The same way he's not waiving Lehtera, Weise or MacDonald.
There is no reason to make a move until you have to make a move, or burn bridges you may want to cross in retreat.
We saw this last year, plans quickly change due to injuries, and I'd rather have Manning than Oduya or Brennan.

Ideally, everyone stays healthy, Myers impresses in camp, Sanheim comes in stronger and prepared for a top four role, Gudas has his snarl back, etc.
But things rarely work out exactly as planned.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wouldn’t be against moving Gudas. He’s one questionable hit away from being suspended 20+ games. Also I think he’s not the same before being neutered.

Obviously it would all depend on the deal. He's certainly not untouchable, but he's not someone I'd actively be shopping.

I think if he's with Sanheim all year, he'll look significantly better. And yeah, he's much better when he isn't playing careful. Hopefully he can find a better balance.

Reactions: SnS

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He must think that it's possible Lappy can fix it.

I don't agree, but that's far more likely than the ridiculous assumptions you made.

Here's the catch, a lot of people were complaining they don't use analytics, analytics suggests Lappy is doing a much better job than commonly thought, reject analytics?
Maybe Hextall is looking at those analytics and realizes the problem is first the goalies, second personnel, and Lappy is actually doing a good job.

Imagine Ron sitting there, having hired some fancy analytic guys, they tell him Lappy's fine, and all fans do is tell him to fire Lappy.
And you wonder why he tells the fans they don't have a clue?

Of course, the alternative theory is Lappy has pictures of Ron with Hakstol.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

I don't agree, but that's far more likely than the ridiculous assumptions you made.

It has been multiple years, damn I hope its just loyalty over thinking someone so awful can improve.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Lappy's been here for years and can't seem to fix the problem? Somehow every goaltender plays poorly on the PK?

What it could be is that he's a poor PK coach that allows good quality shots while suppressing poor ones making it statistically look bad as a goalie?

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It has been multiple years, damn I hope its just loyalty over thinking someone so awful can improve.
Not that he can individually improve, that the problem is the players and that with the right players Lappy can turn them into a better unit.

Again, I don't agree and I would have fired him, but that's by far the most likely scenario.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Thats-A-Bold-Strategy-Meme.gif

Reactions: Striiker

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The biggest problems on the PK this past season, IMO, were way too many failed clears and atrocious goaltending. Both of those were player issues more than system issues, not that I like Lappy as a coach and not that I wouldn't prefer more aggressive PKing.

Reactions: hatcher

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
BTW, did Chris Pryor always talk with that slight lisp that Hextall has, or has Pryor adopted it in a show of solidarity with his boss? Is it a dentures thing from teeth lost playing hockey?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I'm a little disappointed they aren't going after Tavares, but if they think he isn't worth a 7-year risk, I can understand that. Long term contracts are dangerous.

Reactions: Striiker

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
Just bizarre that Hextall wouldn't consider a 7 year deal for Tavares. But I guess it's reassuring that he won't give a huge deal to Simmonds.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I think all the talk about Tavares and Karlsson has made some people believe it was more likely than the "no chance in hell" reality that always was.
With Tavares, I could see believing the Flyers might take a chance at bidding for him, considering their cap space. Not that it was ever likely they'd win that bidding.

Reactions: BernieParent

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I think all the talk about Tavares and Karlsson has made some people believe it was more likely than the "no chance in hell" reality that always was.

2 superstars come available and we have one of the lowest salary caps in the NHL and would be attractive to these 2 , not sure No chance in hell is the best description.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
With Tavares, I could see believing the Flyers might take a chance at bidding for him, considering their cap space. Not that it was ever likely they'd win that bidding.
Most likely whoever ends up with him will have seriously overpayed, unless he's dumb enough to stay with the Islanders.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
And that Middle 6C doesn’t have to be cheap. He would get killed for it and I’m not sure there isn’t internal league pressure specifically not to start deals of such a structure, but offering someone like Stastny 2/20 makes a ton of sense if they want a quality vet.

This is an idea I could get behind. I like this. Stastny @ 2/20. :thumbu:

The long-term deals being thrown around make me queasy.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad