Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Haven't we seen Keller get run enough times? Haven't we seen Domi get provoked enough times in order to get him off the ice with a 5 or 10 minute? We need a 4th liner or D who concerns teams enough that they don't pull this stuff anymore.

No we don't, we need Refs to actually call the game. Yes to start there will be 18 penalties a game but they will drop as long as the refs stick with it. We have to be passed an eye for an eye.. Let's just stop poking people in the eye lol

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Philly has to be smart and move Simmonds before his body breaks down. Before he becomes the next Lucic.

My guess for the core player who could move is Perlini. I'm not really in favor of that, but I get. Perlini is the same player he was in junior and that's not going to change - a very streaky winger. I also tend to agree with Ducky that we need two additions within our top 6, so maybe we go to Montreal and move Perlini for an inconsistent but better winger in Pacioretty? Does Perlini + POJ (French Canadian) make some sense?

Then we either win Svechnikov/Tkachuk/Zadina or dip into FA for the other forward addition.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Philly has to be smart and move Simmonds before his body breaks down. Before he becomes the next Lucic.

My guess for the core player who could move is Perlini. I'm not really in favor of that, but I get. Perlini is the same player he was in junior and that's not going to change - a very streaky winger. I also tend to agree with Ducky that we need two additions within our top 6, so maybe we go to Montreal and move Perlini for an inconsistent but better winger in Pacioretty? Does Perlini + POJ (French Canadian) make some sense?

Then we either win Svechnikov/Tkachuk/Zadina or dip into FA for the other forward addition.
Perlini was second in goals on the Yotes, as a kid with less than two full seasons. We are starving for goals and now you want to trade him AND POJ for Pacioretty who is much older and scored fewer goals last year. Not a chance I would do this deal, but Montreal would. Let these kids develop.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
No we don't, we need Refs to actually call the game. Yes to start there will be 18 penalties a game but they will drop as long as the refs stick with it. We have to be passed an eye for an eye.. Let's just stop poking people in the eye lol
We also need more beauty pageant contestants who want to single handedly promote world peace, car salesmen who offer fair value, and for Trump to be born again. That along with Refs who actually call the game.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Perlini was second in goals on the Yotes, as a kid with less than two full seasons. We are starving for goals and now you want to trade him AND POJ for Pacioretty who is much older and scored fewer goals last year. Not a chance I would do this deal, but Montreal would. Let these kids develop.
We clearly need to trade some of our potential for early-mid career players with both talent and production. Somebody's got to go, but I wouldn't trade for Patches.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm inclined to think Pearls is out based on the Tocchet comments combined with Chayka's.

I hope we aim higher than Patches if that's the case.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'm inclined to think Pearls is out based on the Tocchet comments combined with Chayka's.

I hope we aim higher than Patches if that's the case.

Blues could use to get younger and may want cap to take a run at Taveres. JT Miller I think could be had for cheaper than Perlini, but maybe we could get another pick back. I feel like this one will come back to bite us hard though. I think in two seasons the kid is a regular 30 goal scorer. He clearly needs to figure out how to put it all together though, and his last quater of the season was pretty poor.

Wouldnt want to trade him for anyone that is 29 and up.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Personally, don't see the benefit of moving a 21 year old Perlini on an ELC for Patches or Simmonds who both in their final years of $5M contracts.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Personally, don't see the benefit of moving a 21 year old Perlini on an ELC for Patches or Simmonds who both in their final years of $5M contracts.
I would hate it. Both Patches and Simmonds are about to have terrible contract extensions that will be considered among the worst contracts in the NHL by the end of the 3rd year of likely 6 year deals. Both players are certainly bound to be bought out or traded with retention before the end of their next contracts.

I love Perlini. I think it's extremely stupid for a poor team with no money to trade Perlini when that team also has a putrid offense with a pathetic PP and is desperate for goals of any kind. We need one more Perlini, not one less Perlini.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd think hard about Simmonds because he'd bring a different element to the game -- one we need. But I'd need to know if we had a shot in hell of retaining him first.

But honest honestly, I don't see many teams offering what I'd need to feel comfortable trading him. Like I said earlier, he's got value to us as a depth player even if he never improves, imo.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd think hard about Simmonds because he'd bring a different element to the game -- one we need. But I'd need to know if we had a shot in hell of retaining him first.

But honest honestly, I don't see many teams offering what I'd need to feel comfortable trading him. Like I said earlier, he's got value to us as a depth player even if he never improves, imo.

Simmonds has been great in his career so far. Such a unique and excellent player. Huge fan. I guarantee his game is about to fall off a cliff. His points per game is dropping from .74 two years ago to .66 last year to .61 this year. His goal totals have gone from 33 to 31 to 24. His PIMs have dropped from 147 to 122 to 57 which to me speaks to his level of engagement, as does his plummeting shot totals. He's been playing a power forward game in the NHL at 185 pounds for a decade. It's catching up to him. You send him to a golf course retirement city like Phoenix and set him up with a 6 year 39 million dollar contract when he's already 31 years old to start the deal, and it'll be the worst contract in the league before he's turned 34. Wayne Simmonds is most definitely going to become a boat anchor.

You draft this kind of player and you hang onto them with everything you've got until they're 28 or 29. Then you trade them while you still can. You don't want to be the team stuck paying him his retirement contract. That's one bidding war you absolutely want to lose.

Reactions: CC96

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Reliable 35 goal guys like Pacioretty don’t come around often (this year notwithstanding given his injuries and Montreal’s record). He’s also done it regularly with worse centres than we have in Arizona.

Also adds another leader to the room.

Reactions: ParisSaintGermain

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
My thinking with Perlini is he is the one asset that has good value - because of youth, size, speed and a big shot - that I would be ok with trading. I know I suggested Paccioretty for Perlini and PO Joseph but that hurt.

Not trading Keller, Domi, or Strome. Not trading the 1st round pick. Keeping Fischer because the team is desperate for RHS.

Not a lot else that will garner a legit scoring forward without spending big bucks on an older UFA.

Rather than Paccioretty it might make more sense to target Hoffman in Ottawa. Should cost less and Ottawa is ripe for trading salary.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would hate it. Both Patches and Simmonds are about to have terrible contract extensions that will be considered among the worst contracts in the NHL by the end of the 3rd year of likely 6 year deals. Both players are certainly bound to be bought out or traded with retention before the end of their next contracts.

I love Perlini. I think it's extremely stupid for a poor team with no money to trade Perlini when that team also has a putrid offense with a pathetic PP and is desperate for goals of any kind. We need one more Perlini, not one less Perlini.
I agree.

Simmonds has been great in his career so far. Such a unique and excellent player. Huge fan. I guarantee his game is about to fall off a cliff. His points per game is dropping from .74 two years ago to .66 last year to .61 this year. His goal totals have gone from 33 to 31 to 24. His PIMs have dropped from 147 to 122 to 57 which to me speaks to his level of engagement, as does his plummeting shot totals. He's been playing a power forward game in the NHL at 185 pounds for a decade. It's catching up to him. You send him to a golf course retirement city like Phoenix and set him up with a 6 year 39 million dollar contract when he's already 31 years old to start the deal, and it'll be the worst contract in the league before he's turned 34. Wayne Simmonds is most definitely going to become a boat anchor.

You draft this kind of player and you hang onto them with everything you've got until they're 28 or 29. Then you trade them while you still can. You don't want to be the team stuck paying him his retirement contract. That's one bidding war you absolutely want to lose.
He would be good on a good contending team not a rebuilding one. You are right about Simmons. The body can only take so much punishment.

I'd rather we more or less just stand pat. If a great deal is there sure, but if not let's just bring everybody back, add another high end prospect, and let the growth continue next year.
We were a third to last team. There will be changes, some we won't be happy with.

Reliable 35 goal guys like Pacioretty don’t come around often (this year notwithstanding given his injuries and Montreal’s record). He’s also done it regularly with worse centres than we have in Arizona.

Also adds another leader to the room.
Perlini is doing better than Pacioretty's first years in the league. We have enough leaders in the room, and I'm waiting for the kids to take that step to become a leader.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My thinking with Perlini is he is the one asset that has good value - because of youth, size, speed and a big shot - that I would be ok with trading. I know I suggested Paccioretty for Perlini and PO Joseph but that hurt.

Not trading Keller, Domi, or Strome. Not trading the 1st round pick. Keeping Fischer because the team is desperate for RHS.

Not a lot else that will garner a legit scoring forward without spending big bucks on an older UFA.

Rather than Paccioretty it might make more sense to target Hoffman in Ottawa. Should cost less and Ottawa is ripe for trading salary.
You just said it. Youth, size, speed and a big shot. That package does not come around very often, and when you get one, you KEEP them. Even thinking of trading a kid with only 133 NHL games experience is stupidity. My opinion of course.

Reactions: RemoAZ and Kimahri

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
You just said it. Youth, size, speed and a big shot. That package does not come around very often, and when you get one, you KEEP them. Even thinking of trading a kid with only 133 NHL games experience is stupidity. My opinion of course.
I think the whole is less than the sum of parts with Perini. All the tools no toolbox? And I do not have a problem keeping Perlini (on the third line with Dvorak) but we still need upgrades on the 1st 2 lines.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Wasn’t it his 1st or 2nd nhl game he went into the boards hard and his knee bent like a wet pretzel and he was no worse for the wear? I don’t think Pilates help deter slewfooting.

Yep - very first game of rookie year vs. Philly. I seem to recall thinking how we actually had a rookie who looked decent, and then I literally thought that his entire leg blew up and we would never hear from him again. Kind of like that Patriots RB who tore his knee ligaments so badly during a game on the beach at the Pro Bowl that doctors were considering amputating at the knee. Robert Edwards was his name. Rushes for over 1100 yards in his rookie season, then has to worry about his leg getting amputated...

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think the whole is less than the sum of parts with Perini. All the tools no toolbox? And I do not have a problem keeping Perlini (on the third line with Dvorak) but we still need upgrades on the 1st 2 lines.

The interesting thing with Perlini is that I thought that he was actually talked about quite often as being a surprise player to crack the NHL in his rookie year. IIRC, there was a lot of discussion surrounding him being ready to play, but he wound up getting slashed on the wrist in the preseason and the required surgery basically nixed that plan. So, I would almost have a hard time believing that he is that in the doghouse if it was evident from the start that he had a lot of translatable skill to push toward being in the NHL as early as it sounded. Or that he didn't know how to prepare himself best, since it would seem like that would be a trait that carried over.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I am ok with Perlini's progression so far. To me, the biggest next step for him is to learn/develop how to create his own chances rather than just waiting/hoping for someone else to do the hard work and him just to convert. I would like him to be more involved in plays and also to be significantly more consistent through 82 games.

At this point I am not 100% sure if he can progress to these wishes but I certainly would not give up on him (ie trade him) before finding out more about his development in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad