Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #2

Player most likely to end up on another team before preseason?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Panthers fans were saying that he played RW this past year and looked pretty good doing so. The major issue with him is injuries to his back, so he could be another Hanzal. Also, the value in trade wouldn't really maneuver ourselves to effectively open up spots. It may make things more jumbled.

Preferably, we had a clear path that trading for a RW would rid ourselves of a glut at LW, where it would be easier to put Dvorak or Strome (whichever of them doesn't appear to pan out at C).

I don't watch many Panthers games, so my impression of him is mainly HockeyDB and Hockey-Reference. He is interesting, but not cheap. His real salary looks slightly higher than his AAV.

He played all of last year. If injury was an issue, it looks like it may have been the previous two. With Florida being about $3M under the cap limit, a trade maybe mutually beneficial. What do they need; perhaps more prospects than picks, since Arizona could benefit from moving out contracts? Would they retain?

Bjugstad w/ % retained for Merkely, another prospect, two picks?

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
I wonder what Toronto would want for Connor Brown? Seems like a decent candidate for a bounce back season, and is young enough that there is still offensive potential there. Could end up as a very good middle six right shot right winger and it appears as if he is going to be stuck behind Marner and Nylander for the foreseeable future.

They also have Kapanen who could also be a trade target, or just someone who could slide up into Browns vacant position if he’s traded.

I like connor brown, but i remember from one of those winter classic documentary things that he is a big time Toronto guy, grew up in the area and it was his family's dream to have him be a Leaf, so don't think he will mind being a guy playing second fiddle to other stars on Toronto if it means winning a cup. I doubt they'd look to move him and he wouldn't request a trade.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Of the available free agents...
  • I wouldn't mind trying to acquire Mantha (6'5, 215, 48 points last season). I suppose we could try an offer sheet, but a trade might work as well (depending on what he'd cost). He's a LHS RW, but seems to have done well. They have 6 million remaining, and I'm guessing Larkin will be getting a substantial raise.
  • Bjorkstrand might be worth targeting, but he's bit small (6'0, 175 lbs). We might be able to offer sheet him and only lose a 3rd (probably a decent cost for a 40 point scorer)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Don't they have to be cap compliant on the first day of the season? Then LTIR starts day two?

Think this may be right. If so, there aren't too many interesting pieces on the Wings roster (realistic ones at least). Maybe we can get Nyquist for free if we take Franzen.

To Arizona
- Nyquist
- Franzen
- 2019 4th

To Detroit
- Archibald
- 2019 3rd

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Think this may be right. If so, there aren't too many interesting pieces on the Wings roster (realistic ones at least). Maybe we can get Nyquist for free if we take Franzen.

To Arizona
- Nyquist
- Franzen
- 2019 4th

To Detroit
- Archibald
- 2019 3rd

How much of Franzen's contract is insured and do we want to have that payed via insurance? Is Nyquist worth the real dollar cost? He's a 50pt LW making $5.5m with one year left on his deal, plus the $1.0m real dollars we are paying Franzen making Nyquist esentially a $6.5m LW.

I can't see Arizona being on board for 1 year of Nyquist at that dollar figure. Then you have Detroit who I can't see motivated to move dead contracts atm. Given their roster, I'd be inclined to believe they are ok to sit it out until the TDL and move guys like Nyquist to a contender for real assets. Unless there is a report that they are targeting someone which requires them to move cap, they don't seem to have motivation to do this.

All that said, I'd be happy to add Nyquist, I just don't see that deal as the way to do it. We'd need to give up more in the way of young assets or higher end picks, and have Detroit retain salary on Nyquist for this to work I think.

Edit: I should add, unless we believe we will resign Nyquist at a particular rate, I don't see retained salary with extra players or picks being all that appealing to us yet either.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I believe I read that Franzen's contract is insured. I'd also try to send back an expensive one-way guy (Archibald, 700k) to lessen some of the cost. Like we did with Vitale in the Chychrun/Datsyuk deal.

The deal probably has to be dressed up a little to match the league's smell test. But I do know we're one of few teams that could take on 9 mil in cap in one shot. Big question for the Wings right now is Larkin. They have less than 3 mil cap space and Larkin (RFA) is likely due 6 mil.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

To Arizona
- Nyquist
- Franzen
- 2019 4th

To Detroit
- Archibald
- 2019 3rd
I’d do that even if you drop the 4th from Detroit and add ours. I might even part with the 2nd even though it’s dumb. Swedish mafia might get Nyquist to re-sign. We’ve proven we can actually keep Swedes if nothing else. Maybe put a re-sign condition on the 2nd. He walks, it becomes a 3rd.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I believe I read that Franzen's contract is insured. I'd also try to send back an expensive one-way guy (Archibald, 700k) to lessen some of the cost. Like we did with Vitale in the Chychrun/Datsyuk deal.

The deal probably has to be dressed up a little to match the league's smell test. But I do know we're one of few teams that could take on 9 mil in cap in one shot. Big question for the Wings right now is Larkin. They have less than 3 mil cap space and Larkin (RFA) is likely due 6 mil.
They can get around that $6.0m for Larkin a number of ways without giving up useful assets for loose change. I do like the idea of adding Nyquist, but I like Nyquist at 30% retention if we are taking Franzen as well, which means we are likely adding value to get Detroit interested.

Nyquist (@$3.85m)
Franzen

For

Archibald
Smereck
2nd
Conditional 2020 2nd if Nyquist resigns.

I could live with that and it may be enough for Detroit to bite. Saves them enough cap space to sign Larkin and keeps us from spending too much in real dollars. I think this covers the value and potential concerns for both sides.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
How much does taking Franzen off their hands actually help Detroit at this point?
There isn't much in the way of UFAs left and they are in a weird pseudo rebuild anyway.

Seems to me they can afford to wait till next draft to dump him unless they somehow surprise next season and need space for deadline deals.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How much does taking Franzen off their hands actually help Detroit at this point?
There isn't much in the way of UFAs left and they are in a weird pseudo rebuild anyway.

Seems to me they can afford to wait till next draft to dump him unless they somehow surprise next season and need space for deadline deals.
That last proposal is probably good value for Detroit even considering your point.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

That's kind of where I get stuck and think we'd have to go for Nyquist alone because Detroit may just be looking for maximum value, rather than larger scale cap savings. If we are going for Nyquist alone then does the ask become more than we want to spend? If we dropped Franzen from my previous proposal and remove the retention, I don't think the value is still there for both teams and a new structure would need to be made. Keeping Franzen makes things manageable for the Coyotes but it may be considered a luxury for Detroit and they will ask for more anyway.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Based on Custance's story from yesterday, it actually sounds like Athanasiou is the odd man out in Detroit for cap purposes.

No interest in him from me. He has the same agent as Rieder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad