Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #2

Player most likely to end up on another team before preseason?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I’m not quite as optimistic as everyone else but I think it’s fairly realistic that we could do a 20 point jump, which is pretty remarkable on its own, even though it leaves us outside the playoffs.
Agreed, playoffs would be great, but if we can just be in the hunt that would be great. When's the last time we were even in the hunt? 2014?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I’m not quite as optimistic as everyone else but I think it’s fairly realistic that we could do a 20 point jump, which is pretty remarkable on its own, even though it leaves us outside the playoffs.

I'm about in the same boat as you. On paper this roster is a more legit NHL roster than we've had in recent memory - certainly since the team has been in Glendale - but I think also that every team looks like a world-beater in the off-season leading up to training camp.

I'm going to predict that we're not in line for #1OA this season. But that's as far as I'm taking it. Not entirely because I'm cynical, but because there's way too much extrapolation of what could happen with guys like Gally and Vinny and etc. We're probably one of the biggest unknown quantities in the NHL right now.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm about in the same boat as you. On paper this roster is a more legit NHL roster than we've had in recent memory - certainly since the team has been in Glendale - but I think also that every team looks like a world-beater in the off-season leading up to training camp.

I'm going to predict that we're not in line for #1OA this season. But that's as far as I'm taking it. Not entirely because I'm cynical, but because there's way too much extrapolation of what could happen with guys like Gally and Vinny and etc. We're probably one of the biggest unknown quantities in the NHL right now.

It’s true. Apart from Stepan, every single forward on the team with any upside has huge question marks.

What is Galchenyuk, really? Which Grabner will we get? Which Panik? Both guys are so inconsistent in terms of game to game and season to season production.

Will Keller suffer the second year slump? Look up question mark in the dictionary and find a picture of Dylan Strome. How much and how quickly will young guys like Perlini, Dvorak, and Fischer progress?

Hinostroza had a lot more talent to play with in Chicago. He’s also not exactly elusive or great at avoiding contact. That’s a probably for a 165lb player. Hard to know what we’re getting there, too and for how long it can hold up.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Bunting, Dauphin, Fasching, and Murphy have all accepted their qualifying offers. All are one-year, two-way deals.

Langhamer is the only remaining RFA. I don't know if he was even extended a qualifying offer but I'd guess we're just releasing him anyway. He's not really in the plans of the organization at this point.

At what point do the POJ and Hayton contracts slide? If right now, today's 4 contracts puts us at 49 contracts.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Bunting, Dauphin, Fasching, and Murphy have all accepted their qualifying offers. All are one-year, two-way deals.

Langhamer is the only remaining RFA. I don't know if he was even extended a qualifying offer but I'd guess we're just releasing him anyway. He's not really in the plans of the organization at this point.

At what point do the POJ and Hayton contracts slide? If right now, today's 4 contracts puts us at 49 contracts.

They slide when they are sent back to their junior team.

49 is still too many, I bet we will see some guys in Tucson dumped.

Langhamer is playing in europe, his QO was simply to retain his rights.

Reactions: Mosby

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Playoffs boil down to Raanta being a top 10 goal tender while staying healthy, our D staying healthy, and our special teams play. A low GAA is how we make the playoffs. Our PK needs to be really good and our PP needs to be at least average. The young talented forwards will shine and disappoint all year but we can ride any hot hands to get points. I wouldn't be relying on our youth as the solution or reason to make the playoffs.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Playoffs boil down to Raanta being a top 10 goal tender while staying healthy, our D staying healthy, and our special teams play. A low GAA is how we make the playoffs. Our PK needs to be really good and our PP needs to be at least average. The young talented forwards will shine and disappoint all year but we can ride any hot hands to get points. I wouldn't be relying on our youth as the solution or reason to make the playoffs.
Not quite what I expect from a Tocchet team. I expect high scores and some pond hockey with GF, not GA our hallmark.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Langhamer is the only remaining RFA. I don't know if he was even extended a qualifying offer but I'd guess we're just releasing him anyway.

He got a QO, but I'm pretty sure the Coyotes did that just to hold on to his rights in case he somehow takes his game to the next level. They're probably content to let him do his maturing (if he does any) back home rather than have to find a place for him on either the AHL or ECHL squad. Gives our other goalie prospects some elbow room to develop too.

Sean Maguire didn't get qualified, so the team must see something still appealing in Langhamer.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Totally different circumstances. That team wasn't in a rebuild mode. I know we need vets, but I would rather upgrade our vets than trade a kid for a vet. IF we were a SC contender, then it would be a different story. The worst thing we could do is trade a kid for a Kessel type player and that kid becomes a star somewhere else.

Disagree 100%. Even though we didn't necessarily term it a rebuild, what do you call it when the previous two seasons were spent being in the basement of the Western Conference? Putting players like Mueller, Turris, Tikhonov, and Boedker into the lineup as soon as possible? Isn't that what people argued we should have done with Strome as part of our current rebuild? What about the trade for Jokinen to turn the page and try to acquire a true #1 C? At that point, we had missed the playoffs for 3 consecutive years, which is pretty much the same amount of time that we missed the playoffs for us to call the 2014-15 season the start of the rebuild that we are currently in.

The logic of what was done in 08-09 represents the beginning of a rebuild, but are you saying that we have to have someone get in front of a microphone and call it a rebuild for it to be believed? The similarities of getting the youth into the lineup sooner rather than later are uncanny. The difference is that now, far more 19 and 20 year olds are more ready for the NHL, as opposed to 10 years ago.

IF we were to trade for a Kessel type player and give up a good young piece in return, we obviously value the concept that the player we acquire will help forge our identity now and are willing to give up the future potential of a player to get up to speed now. Sounds like it is closer to a true hockey trade, and if it means getting to the playoffs this year and for the next three years, maybe we are content with that vs potentially waiting and being uncertain about our abilities to make it to the playoffs for another year or two while waiting on players to finally reach their potential.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He got a QO, but I'm pretty sure the Coyotes did that just to hold on to his rights in case he somehow takes his game to the next level. They're probably content to let him do his maturing (if he does any) back home rather than have to find a place for him on either the AHL or ECHL squad. Gives our other goalie prospects some elbow room to develop too.

Sean Maguire didn't get qualified, so the team must see something still appealing in Langhamer.

Good to know we at least still have his rights. I always felt we didn't give him a fair shake for some reason.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
As for that excess at the center position, the likelihood is that one of either Dvorak or Strome will be displaced to the wing. The problem with that, according to Tocchet, is that both players are younger than 23 and still learning how to play at the NHL level.

“I think it’s a case-by-case thing,” Tocchet said. “I don’t think you can pigeon-hole one guy. You could wreck a guy’s development. If you have a center and you put him on the wing, you could screw up. But, a different guy, if you put him on the wing it could help his career.

“For Dylan, this is a big summer for him and there is a lot of talent there. We’re here trying to maximize it. Whether he plays center or wing, I just want him to have a good training camp.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...mbinations-projections-2018-season/784490002/

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Reactions: Sthlmyote

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona

I certainly dont think we will be world beaters, or even at the top of the division, but a 20 point jump is I think exactly where we will be, give or take a little.

I also think we start seeing players leave their mark on the league, rather than just having a bunch of guys in that 10-20 goal range. I certainly hope we're a hard team to play against. From listening to Tochett he expects every guy to be in the best shape humanly possible, which is huge.

I also cant stress enough how much we need to improve our PK and PP. We need to stack up in the top 10, top 15 in both categories if we even think about a wild card spot.

Reactions: Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
PP has to get better. One 5 on 3 goal would be an improvement. It lost us games last season, and having Chucky impressenating Ovi will do wonders.

I think the playoffs are possible if other teams have issues that are out of their control. Otherwise we should be battling for a spot but just miss.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree, and if one or two of the kids have a breakout year it would be nice.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Not quite what I expect from a Tocchet team. I expect high scores and some pond hockey with GF, not GA our hallmark.
Tocc tried that the first 20 games, didn't work. We don't have the horses Pitt has. Our strength is Raanta assuming he stays healthy and plays well, along with our D core. The forwards have lots of potential to succeed or fail, I think we will see both, just hard to say from who. We have an advantage this year versus last in that we had limited roster turnover and have the same coach/system.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Decided I would go check to see what dailyfaceoff.com had set for the Coyotes lines and I was pleasantly surprised. They had:

Keller-Stepan-Panik
Perlini-Galchenyuk-Hinostroza
Strome-Dvorak-Fischer
Crouse-Richardson-Grabner

Kind of love it. I don’t have great feelings about Strome at wing but hopefully I’ll be wrong and he’ll do ok.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Decided I would go check to see what dailyfaceoff.com had set for the Coyotes lines and I was pleasantly surprised. They had:

Keller-Stepan-Panik
Perlini-Galchenyuk-Hinostroza
Strome-Dvorak-Fischer
Crouse-Richardson-Grabner

Kind of love it. I don’t have great feelings about Strome at wing but hopefully I’ll be wrong and he’ll do ok.

@ 150 points?
@ 110 points ?
@ 110 points ?
@ 70 points?

The D-men better handle biz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->