Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #2

Player most likely to end up on another team before preseason?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
So after Hinostroza (RW), Galchenyuk (C), and Connauton (D), what is our biggest positional need?

Owner who bought bitcoin in 2009.

But seriously...considering the salary handicap I don't know how much better we can be.

We should win more games this year, but I think overall we just need better players. Yotes only had one skater exceed 20 goals last year. Vegas had 5.

Maybe some of the the youths surprise me.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Top 6 winger if being realistic, top line RW if being specific.

The great thing is this could be solved internally if Strome comes out the gate playing like a top 6 center and we can move Chucky to wing or if Perlini puts it all together and starts producing like a top 6 LW.

Right now I see us almost having a legit top line, two very good NHL caliber 3rd lines and a 4th line. Depending on player improvements we could have a legit 2nd line this season as well. In seasons past we rolled out a maybe 2nd line, two 4th lines and a line of AHL quality players. Huge improvement.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
It’s certainly better than years past looking at this roster. Instead of the normal Moss’s, Chipchuras, klinkhammers and Schlemkos, we now actually have NHL caliber players on the roster.

Chyka has done an incredible job building what he can with the budget that’s been given.

I think when you look at comparing rosters it’s really a crap shoot.(see Vegas) Granted better players make you a better team, but you have to look at coaching, systems and certainly your PP and PK. Most games are won with your special teams.

Keller - Stepan - Panik
Perlini - Dvorak - Galchenyuk
Grabner - Strome - Hinostroza
Cousins - Richardson - Fischer
Archibald

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hjalmarsson
Cannauton - Goligoski

Raanta
Kuemper

That there is by far the best roster I think we’ve had in the last decade.

The only question mark is Strome and putting it together as a bonafide center.

We have a good problem when you see Fischer on the fourth line and Crouse in the minors. Although Archibald and Crouse could be interchangeable.

If we were to upgrade I think it would need to be a legit #1 center, but I think they see what Strome offers this year before finding that.

To me, this is the most competitive roster we’ve had. I think we make huge strides this year.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The roster is looking very good, and I know ya'll didn't forget we have a very good netminder. Stay healthy!!!

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
So are we a playoff team?

We may benefit from our weak division. I look at it and see only 2 teams who are clearly better -- San Jose (obvious) and Los Angeles (they couldn't score but they'll have Carter back healthy and they added Kovy, who is good for 55 pts).

The rest?

Calgary - I think we're about even. I think they're crazy to not get a decent backup for when Smitty inevitable gets hurt.
Anaheim - old, slow. Can they score? Carlyle's system is the opposite of where the NHL is going. No real offseason changes.
Vancouver - They're in a rebuilding. It's coming, but playoffs aren't happening.
Edmonton - Lol. I think they're closer to the team they were last year than they were two years ago.
Vegas - Just from how well they did last year, they're due for a step back. How big of a step, we'll see.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
So are we a playoff team?

If Raanta stays healthy, or at least mostly healthy, this team will be a juggernaut.

Even if Raanta can't play an entire season as good as he did play the games he got last season, this team is improved in so many ways. Kuemper hopefully didn't get to broken in the WC, but he should be a decent backup, too.

Forward lines, blueline top and depth, starting goalie. Yup. Playoff team.

Imagine now if Strome finally makes the bust-talk look laughable, and so on. Here's for a deep run.

Reactions: Grimes and doaner

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If Raanta stays healthy, or at least mostly healthy, this team will be a juggernaut.

Even if Raanta can't play an entire season as good as he did play the games he got last season, this team is improved in so many ways. Kuemper hopefully didn't get to broken in the WC, but he should be a decent backup, too.

Imagine now if Strome finally makes the bust-talk look laughable, and so on. Here's for a deep run.
No it won’t. It may make the playoffs but it’s not in the same league so to speak of the top 5 teams.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We have an NHL roster if Richardson and Cousins get limited minutes.

That's miles better than we've been in sometime. If the heavy turnover comes together quickly, and we see some internal growth and improvement with young guys, we might push for a playoff spot. But we'll probably start slow again.

Only hope for any playoff success will still be Raanta continuing his dominant streak.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
SR is correct that this is the most competitive roster we have had... possibly ever. I was alluding to this earlier when discussing trades for veterans - we actually have the depth and quality of players to make further trades that actually get us a bona fide top 6 type of forward. Obviously, we didn't go that route, but it is still possible.

The major question that I see is we are still quite young, and may not quite have the horses to turn it on during a playoff run. Remember the 2008-09 year when we climbed our way to 4th or 5th in the West just prior to the All-Star break? That team beat Detroit 6-3 and then proceeded to lose 12 of the next 15 games. That was Yandle's first full year, Mueller's 2nd, and Turris, Tikhonov, and Boedker were all rookies. Lisin had been called up earlier in the year.

Not certain if this will quite be the case this year, but a lot of players who are that young do not know how to pace themselves and turn it up a notch in the battle for a playoff spot. Yes, we concluded the year with a strong record, but what pressure were we putting on ourselves when already out of the playoff mix? The team only had to contend with improving upon the worst start in the history of the team and pretty much the NHL. If we are close to the playoffs after about 40-50 games, let's see how it all comes together when we do have to continue to win to keep pace against teams with significant experience levels. We are closer, but I still like an additional vet or two to help with that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

A juggernaut?:laugh: I like the optimism, but come on. If we can sneak into the playoffs I will be a happy man. Last year we took a step backwards and the team had a ton of excuses, but this year there won't be any. Most of us have liked what Chayka has done, but it has not translated to the ice as of yet.

Reactions: cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
SR is correct that this is the most competitive roster we have had... possibly ever. I was alluding to this earlier when discussing trades for veterans - we actually have the depth and quality of players to make further trades that actually get us a bona fide top 6 type of forward. Obviously, we didn't go that route, but it is still possible.

The major question that I see is we are still quite young, and may not quite have the horses to turn it on during a playoff run. Remember the 2008-09 year when we climbed our way to 4th or 5th in the West just prior to the All-Star break? That team beat Detroit 6-3 and then proceeded to lose 12 of the next 15 games. That was Yandle's first full year, Mueller's 2nd, and Turris, Tikhonov, and Boedker were all rookies. Lisin had been called up earlier in the year.

Not certain if this will quite be the case this year, but a lot of players who are that young do not know how to pace themselves and turn it up a notch in the battle for a playoff spot. Yes, we concluded the year with a strong record, but what pressure were we putting on ourselves when already out of the playoff mix? The team only had to contend with improving upon the worst start in the history of the team and pretty much the NHL. If we are close to the playoffs after about 40-50 games, let's see how it all comes together when we do have to continue to win to keep pace against teams with significant experience levels. We are closer, but I still like an additional vet or two to help with that.
Stepan, Chuckyk, Grabner, Panik, Richardson and all on D except Chychrun are vets. We have enough vets, but we could use an upgrade on a vet or two, but not at the expense of a core young player.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The path has probably never been easier and the roster never stronger. If guys can stay healthy, they have a good shot at making it.

A lot of changes were made to the room and the summer isn't over yet. I'm curious to see how it all goes over. Chemistry remains a big risk.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We have an NHL roster if Richardson and Cousins get limited minutes.

That's miles better than we've been in sometime. If the heavy turnover comes together quickly, and we see some internal growth and improvement with young guys, we might push for a playoff spot. But we'll probably start slow again.

Only hope for any playoff success will still be Raanta continuing his dominant streak.
Yup, internal growth with the kids. That's a rebuild in a nutshell right there. On paper this is the best team in a long long time. Let's see what kind of coach RT is, and what kind of character we have with our young kids.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Stepan, Chuckyk, Grabner, Panik, Richardson and all on D except Chychrun are vets. We have enough vets, but we could use an upgrade on a vet or two, but not at the expense of a core young player.

And did we not have Doan, Jokinen, Reinprecht, Jovo, Morris, Sauer and Michalek? Having those pieces in place doesn't 100% guarantee that the collective TEAM is quite mature enough to handle that situation. Remember how much trouble was started by not naming a captain prior to the season?

It's a valid concern, before we even get through injuries, etc.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’m not quite as optimistic as everyone else but I think it’s fairly realistic that we could do a 20 point jump, which is pretty remarkable on its own, even though it leaves us outside the playoffs.

Reactions: SniperHF

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And did we not have Doan, Jokinen, Reinprecht, Jovo, Morris, Sauer and Michalek? Having those pieces in place doesn't 100% guarantee that the collective TEAM is quite mature enough to handle that situation. Remember how much trouble was started by not naming a captain prior to the season?

It's a valid concern, before we even get through injuries, etc.
Totally different circumstances. That team wasn't in a rebuild mode. I know we need vets, but I would rather upgrade our vets than trade a kid for a vet. IF we were a SC contender, then it would be a different story. The worst thing we could do is trade a kid for a Kessel type player and that kid becomes a star somewhere else.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’m not quite as optimistic as everyone else but I think it’s fairly realistic that we could do a 20 point jump, which is pretty remarkable on its own, even though it leaves us outside the playoffs.
It's going to be tough, no doubt, but let's see what kind of character we have under these circumstances. I like our depth this year, so hopefully a injury or two won't kill our chances. BUT, if Raanta gets hurt all bets are off.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->