Pre-Game Talk: 2018 NHL Playoffs Round 1: (1) Tampa Bay Lightning vs (WC2) New Jersey Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamfastic

Nov 24, 2014
I am glad that we play against the Devils. Not too worried about the regular season sweep. Things will balance out in the long run and I believe we still have our lucky bounces coming our way. I just dont see Devils winning us in seven games + the three regular season wins. And I dont think there is a question about us being more talented, stacked team. Playoffs are a different story and that is something our core has a lot of experience.

edit. We also outshot Devils in all three games (51 to 28 one time) and they all were one goal wins.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's three regular season games... barely means anything. We also lost to the Sabres a couple of times and beat the Pens 7-1. Doesn't mean I'd rather play the Pens in the playoffs.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
It's three regular season games... barely means anything. We also lost to the Sabres a couple of times and beat the Pens 7-1. Doesn't mean I'd rather play the Pens in the playoffs.
I can't believe so many people are putting so much stock into the regular season series. Time and time again the playoffs have shown that the regular season doesn't matter...

Part of me thinks that since it's been so long since the Devils have made the playoffs, the fans are overanalyzing the matchup in anticipation.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
As long as the group of guys do not underestimate the devils we will be fine. Cannot allow them to beat us at home. That aside, we are a better team in every aspect except PK, we are far more experienced and I expect our top guys to step up.

We should confortably win this series in 5 games.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The Devils are a tough opponent, no one is denying that. But if they beat us, which is very much possible, it has very little to do with the regular season.

Reactions: Stammertime91

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
This series will be fun for me as two of my best friends are Devils fans. I want to be able to stick it to them after this series!

The regular season series really doesn't matter because the playoffs are a completely different animal. I remember we were something like 3-20 in the last 20+ games against the Caps in 2011 and we swept them in the second round. The Devils have been a lot more fun team to watch this season so I'm expecting a good series. If we can contain Taylor Hall, we're halfway there.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I can't believe so many people are putting so much stock into the regular season series. Time and time again the playoffs have shown that the regular season doesn't matter...

Part of me thinks that since it's been so long since the Devils have made the playoffs, the fans are overanalyzing the matchup in anticipation.
Came here to post this lol

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Let's Go Bolts! Take care of the Devils. Lets not throw away this season. I got tickets for the 1st and 2nd round!

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The Devils have always matched up pretty well against us in the past. Hall is on a scary run, Kinkaid looks legit and they're over all a very balanced team. I have a lot of respect for the Devils and would have prefered to face Toronto tbh. That said, I do believe the Lightning have another gear. A playoff spot wasn't in question for so long, players just wanted to get it over with and step on playoff ice already. Every team we've faced in the past month or so wanted to show the hockey world that they could hang with us, play us hard, give 110%. For us it was just another almost meaningless hockey game. Get out there, score a couple, try some new line combinations, see where newcomers JT Miller and Ryan McDonagh and callups Anthony Cirelli or Adam Erne could fit but most importantly: don't get injured. Which btw explains our subpar PK numbers. No point for Hedman, Stralman, McDonagh, Stamkos, Palat or Callahan to risk a hand or foot injury while blocking a shot on the PK in a meaningless game against the likes of Arizona or Carolina when you have locked up a playoff spot weeks ago.

Even in this "laid back" phase the Lightning had their share of statement games. Shutout win against Boston. Coming back from 0-3 to win 4-3 against Toronto. That's not a fluke. That's the team we will see in a few days. I don't doubt for one second that the Lightning will show up in early season form once the playoffs start. They're still pissed about missing the playoffs last season by a hair. They're still pissed that they have been stopped in the ECF and the SCF the years before. This is the most stacked team that has ever stepped on the ice wearing the Bolt on the jersey in Tampa Bay: We have legit 2nd liners playing on the 3rd line (Johnson, Palat, Gourde, Killorn), we have a legit 1C playing 2nd line (Point), we have a legit top-2 defenseman playing on the 2nd D pairing (McDonagh). You know this team is deep and every line can score. The only questionmark for me is Vasilevskiy.

Bolts in 6.

Reactions: Steazy Doo

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
LETS GOO!!!!
tumblr_nrp67s2xFo1qelg9yo1_1280.gif

Bring on the Spaceman!
tumblr_nrp661WJnJ1qelg9yo1_1280.gif

killa3312

Mar 4, 2015
Tampa Bay outplayed the Devils in all three regular season games so the 0-3 record means very little. New Jersey plays a similar game to the Bolts, just with nowhere near the overall talent and depth the Bolts have. Don't see Tampa Bay losing if they play their game.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Devils bringing up the season series reminds me of the pre series talk vs another team a while back. Tampa had lost 3 out of 4 games getting outscored 13-6 in the regular season including a 3-1 loss and 3-0 loss in March just weeks before the playoffs started.

Maybe the Devils want to ask around how the Islanders faired in the 2004 playoffs.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tampa Bay outplayed the Devils in all three regular season games so the 0-3 record means very little. New Jersey plays a similar game to the Bolts, just with nowhere near the overall talent and depth the Bolts have. Don't see Tampa Bay losing if they play their game.

I watched those games and I would agree that we outplayed them. They were super opportunistic and their goaltenders played very well denying every one of our opportunities. First goals will be crucial in this series. I like our chances if Vasi plays well and if we can shut down Hall. If those two things happen it wont be a very long series. But if they get some confidence we could see a long series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad