Pre-Game Talk: 2018 NHL Playoffs Round 1: (1) Tampa Bay Lightning vs (WC2) New Jersey Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Confirmed with Boston's loss to Florida. (Thanks Flobros!)

Games:
Thursday April 12 - at Tampa Bay 7 PM
Saturday April 14 - at Tampa Bay 3 PM
Monday April 16 - at New Jersey 7:30 PM
Wednesday April 18 - at New Jersey 7:30 PM
*Saturday April 21 - at Tampa Bay TBD
*Monday April 23 - at New Jersey TBD
*Wednesday April 25 - at Tampa Bay TBD

Regular Season

October 17th - 5-4 SOL

February 17th - 4-3 L

March 24th - 2-1 L

Last edited:
Reactions: Sk8M8

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Well...here we are!!!
We're the champs and so our (I hope first) opponent will be New Jersey.
I think NJ is a hard team to play against. They've some good player and, in particular, nothing to lose.
We've to pay attention: it'll be very important to start well the series.
Btw, our team has to show his skills.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well to make matters simple the Lightning are in a way blessed in that if you hold off Hall you're holding off most of NJ's offense. But these are the last guys I wanted us to play

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Hopefully Hall gets a lot of Stralman and Hedman...

Screw it boys, let's just do it.

tenor.gif

Reactions: LightningStrikes

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Well to make matters simple the Lightning are in a way blessed in that if you hold off Hall you're holding off most of NJ's offense. But these are the last guys I wanted us to play

As I posted in our Kitty Cats vs. Booins thread, Hall scoring goals on us wasn't the problem, it was the space he created for others that hurt us.
Oct. 17: Stafford, Palmieri (1st assist Hall), Gibbons, Stafford
Feb. 17: Lovejoy, Hischier (1st assist Hall), Zacha, Wood
March 24: Hischier, Palmieri (2nd assist Hall)

Hopefully Hall gets a lot of Stralman and Hedman...

Screw it boys, let's just do it.

tenor.gif

From your mouth to Coop's ears. lol Think they'll try McD/Stråls a bit more though. But that would mean one or two of Heddy, Stråls and McD could be on the ice most of the time. Still not quite sold on McD based on his struggles fitting into our system, but he's got oodles of playoff experience.

Reactions: DaBolts

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Should be a fun one. How do you guys anticipate the Lightning will line up for this series? Wondering how the match-ups are going to end up working out.

Devils will likely be something along the lines of:

Hall - Hischier - Palmeiri
Wood - Zacha - Maroon
Coleman - Zajac - Noesen
Grabner - Boyle - Gibbons

Johansson should return at some point, but no idea where he slots in right now.

Greene - Vatanen
Moore - Mueller
Butcher - Lovejoy

Severson will also likely get in at some point depending on how Mueller/Lovejoy play.

Kinkaid
Schneider.

Thunder Warrior

Apr 8, 2018
Cascadia
WHAT'S UP LIGHTNING NATION !

This is my first post ever on HFBOARDS.

I have been following Tampa Bay closer than I ever did since the beginning of the 2017-2018 season.

I turned 30 last November and I made a lot of changes in my life, including a change in NHL hockey team affiliation.

This Tampa Bay team is a treat to watch, and boy do I look good in that blue jersey.

I have been reading this forum for most of the season and I saw the beginning of the playoffs as an opportunity to start contributing.

Tampa Bay in 5.

GO BOLTS

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Play like they did when they shut out Boston, this series is over in 5.

Play like they did against the Sabers and Hurricanes. Could be in some serious trouble. Consistent 60 minute efforts needed every single game.

Do that and no one will take 4 of 7 from TB. They're too skilled to lose a series if they're on their game.

Am really concerned about Vasy though.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I think the Devils blew their chance at an upset by sweeping us in the regular season. That should be enough to have our focus. They might steal a game or two early, but once we figure them out they don't have the depth for a plan B. Just like the Islanders series in 2004.

Reactions: Bolt 45

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I think the Devils blew their chance at an upset by sweeping us in the regular season. That should be enough to have our focus. They might steal a game or two early, but once we figure them out they don't have the depth for a plan B. Just like the Islanders series in 2004.
Yeah, I sort of expect Hall/Hischier to have a big game or two. But by the same token, I also remember what a postseason Hedmonster looks like. I have to think we're in a good place if we work as hard as the Devils. Boyle better not go all traitor on us, dammit.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
@JoeSmithTB
Steven Stamkos says Lightning loss to Devils in 2007 still very much fresh in the minds of the players. "We need to use that to our advantage."

Lol indeed. Literally nobody on either roster is left from 2007; Stamkos was a year away from being drafted.

Although, we are 0-2 in the playoffs against New Jersey but they were favorites both times. Time to turn the screws.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

Said the same thing in the GDT last night as far as people being concerned about facing New Jersey rather than Toronto. The Isles were 3-1 against the Lightning in 2004, and so there was some concern about a 1/8 upset. And then Khabibulin put a pretty definitive end to that.

A SO loss, as well as a couple one-goal losses. I mean, if the Devils had overwhelmed us on a couple of occasions, I'd buy into the matchup aspect of it a little bit more. But all this tells me, really, is that the Devils were on the fortunate end of some variance. They could always win this series, sure, anything's possible, but I always thought it was overthinking things to make yourself believe that Toronto could've been a preferable 1st round opponent in any way whatsoever. Did not buy that for one second.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

tnsn78

China Bolt
Nov 7, 2017
Finally it begins. Have been waiting for 365 + (how many???) days
Go bolts!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad