2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd wait for McKenzie's list to come out before commenting on rankings. He was already at 10 and then had a very strong U18 as a centre and had a strong combine (both in terms of measurements and testing). We'll see where he winds up and what the report is in a few days.

Michigan Live has an interesting excerpt from Red Line Report on Kotkaniemi:

"Big, strong center is a horse who plays a pro style power game. Tall, rangy frame and has a fine skill-set with quick, soft hands and powerful shot. Is persistent and aggressive on the forecheck. Steals a lot of pucks from behind. Has a pro quality wrist shot from a quick release but needs to shoot more instead of always looking to pass. He's a tireless worker who plays hard and makes plays for his wingers with good vision. Makes linemates better. Strong along the boards and difficult to contain in one-on-one situations -- shields the puck well and is skilled in tight. Gets involved in the dirty areas and initiates contact often -- shows good physical presence. Still growing into his frame and should develop into quite a handful once he fills out. Can get caught running around in his own end at times."
If our scouts do think he's the BPA (or right in that mix), I definitely wouldn't mind him.

If I remember correctly, Red Line has Kotkaniemi ranked outside of their top 10.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
At 3 has to draft BPA. To draft a player ranked much lower like Kotkaniemi, because of the position he plays likely end up a mistake

If a poster has him 3,4,5 or even in a group of equal prospects, how is it a reach for that poster ? Explain that to me.

Reactions: NoQuinn

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Bouchard gives me N8 DA Gr8 vibes.

Not alot going on between those ears.
IoWyw7D.jpg
And the scary thing is he played like him the Knights game I went to

Lots of 'controller disconnected' moments in the defensive zone, he's got a better shot than NB and NB was tougher but overall I think that's exactly who he ends up being

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So, just reading through the Black Book and found some interesting scouting reports on some guys who could be under the radar picks in the draft, guys I didn't pay much attention to or only saw once or not at all.

Ben Almquist
Seth Barton
Dawson Barteaux
Tommy Beaudoin
Justin Bergeron
Ben Copeland
Cole Coskey
Marc Del Gaizo
Peter Deliberatore
Maxim Golod
Ben Helgeson
Riley Hughes
Keegan Karki
Brett Kemp
Liam Kindree
Semyon Kizimov
Cole Koepke
Vojtech Kropacek
Luke Lamaster
Aidan McDonough (O'Briens linemate)
Nathan Smith
Jack St. Ivany
Carl Berglund

Anybody got any views or thoughts on these guys?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Beautiful edge work and soft hands.

I'm not sure anyone here would be mad if we got Zadina.

That's not really the discussion is it ? It's whether there are other possibilities at 3, and what the pros/cons are for each. I have a group of player at 3 I'm interested in: Wahlstrom, Zadina, Kotkaniemi, Dobson and Boqvist. I'll be happy with any of them and I don't believe the separation to be much between any.
So you would gladly trade with The Coyotes for their #5 +. One of your boys will definitely still be there.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
At 3 has to draft BPA. To draft a player ranked much lower like Kotkaniemi, because of the position he plays likely end up a mistake

That's just publications rankings. From my experience Bob McKenzie's is the best, but even then, Montreal might have Kotkaniemi 3rd while others have him 10th. Zadina could be 4th on Montreal's list and 10th on another team's list.

Reactions: NoQuinn

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

This video basically explains why Bouchard is a doughnut

Great breakdown and savvy observations on all the plays where he grossly misread what was coming at him and created opportunities that shouldn't have otherwise occurred.

This Michael Farkas guy does a great job of breaking down Bouchard's decision-making. The words "risk mitigation" that are part of the title of this segment are nowhere within Bouchard's understanding.

Would watch again for the whistling portion. :sarcasm:

Great find, thanks for sharing. This Farkas guy is worth looking into for observations on other players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Icing

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wasn't able to combine certain bets.. no idea why I couldn't select who the Habs are taking and who goes first Hughes or Tkachuk

Reactions: Mrb1p

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Great breakdown and savvy observations on all the plays where he grossly misread what was coming at him and created opportunities that shouldn't have otherwise occurred.

This Michael Farkas guy does a great job of breaking down Bouchrd's decision-making. The words "risk mitigation" that are part of the title of this segment are nowhere within Bouchard's understanding.

Would watch again for the whistling portion. :sarcasm:

Great find, thanks for sharing. This Farkas guy is worth looking into for observations on other players.
Found it here:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...ohl-2018-draft.2188011/page-12#post-146749509
Full credit to him

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
So you would gladly trade with The Coyotes for their #5 +. One of your boys will definitely still be there.
Definitely wouldn't be against it. It really depends on whats offered and on the feel of the draft, i.e. which top 10 pick I could get for Pacioretty, if any, and what players I could expect would be left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad