GDT: 2018 NHL Draft Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The two you liked for us at 17. :)

If you back in the posts, I said that if either Smith or Veleno fell to the Devils at #17, the pick would be a no-brainer. As it (strangely) happened, both of those kids fell to us. Clearly, Smith was an outstanding pick. Thankfully I was wrong in my guess that Smith would be gone in the 10-12 range. According to my hockey-writer friends in Western Canada, Edmonton thought that Dobson/Bouchard would be gone by 10 and were prepared to draft Smith, even over Boqvist/Wahlstrom. When Bouchard fell, the Oilers took him -- they had him ranked extremely highly. Then, Dobson went to the Isles and the rest is history.

A great day for the Devils. Ty Smith will be the #1 LD we sorely needed for the future.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I agree with Steve, Smith would be #1 and Anderson should be ahead of McLeod at this point.

This is by no means an insult to McLeod. There is a very strong chance he develops into a 50+ point, two-way second line C with blazing speed. Any team would be happy to have that. He would be a perfect compliment to Nico as 1C.

But Smith has just outstanding upside as a star 1D, which the Devils organization severely lacked. That puts him at the top of the list. And Anderson's upward progression since draft day has been meteoric. When we drafted him, I thought he could be a speedier Ryan Callahan, but now I'm upgrading him to TJ Oshie 2.0. He's just been outstanding both in the WJCs and at the University of Minnesota-Duluth. There is a solid chance he lines up alongside Taylor and Nico on the top unit next year.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
In technical terms, I think they have multiple servers and a load balancer which sends web requests to the least busy server. One of those servers is out of sync with the other, so it's almost like they split into separate alternate realities a few hours ago. I keep refreshing till I hit the server everyone's posting on.
Sounds like interdimensional Dr. Who stuff

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
He ranked Miller higher than Smith
I think he felt Miller had a higher up-side than Smith, which I understand. I think he'd agree that Smith is also a safer bet considering how much more development Miller had left. He also said he chose Miller over Smith by the slimmest of margins.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If you back in the posts, I said that if either Smith or Veleno fell to the Devils at #17, the pick would be a no-brainer. As it (strangely) happened, both of those kids fell to us. Clearly, Smith was an outstanding pick. Thankfully I was wrong in my guess that Smith would be gone in the 10-12 range. According to my hockey-writer friends in Western Canada, Edmonton thought that Dobson/Bouchard would be gone by 10 and were prepared to draft Smith, even over Boqvist/Wahlstrom. When Bouchard fell, the Oilers took him -- they had him ranked extremely highly. Then, Dobson went to the Isles and the rest is history.

A great day for the Devils. Ty Smith will be the #1 LD we sorely needed for the future.
I'm stunned the Avs didn't snatch him up. They could really have used him.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
How did Pronman grade our draft?
I don't subscribe, but googling it, it seems he gave us a B-minus.
The Devils first pick, Ty Smith, is a very good two-way defenseman with the potential to play in their top four. The first three picks they made on Saturday are none I’d have strongly advocated for, but Xavier Bernard and Yegor Sharangovich are both guys I considered for my board, and Akira Schmid is a fine goalie prospect. For a team without a second or third rounder, I think they did a fine job.
He kinda contradicts himself.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
B+ from Steve Kournianos. He gave the Rangers a D

New Jersey Devils

Grade: B+
The good times in New Jersey continues to roll along, as the Devils followed up their first playoff berth in six years with Taylor Hall winning the Hart Trophy, and then drafted a dynamic defense prospect in Ty Smith (17th). It was no secret that the Devils needed a cornerstone type of defender to augment their skill they have up front, and in Smith they get a mobile playmaker who passes the puck with both accuracy and authority. Hulking rearguard Xavier Bernard (110th) once was considered a possible first rounder but still has the size and physicality to become a steady middle-paring type. New Jersey got itself a quality goalie with No. 1 upside in Swiss netminder Akira Schmid (136th), and Belorussian Yegor Sharangovich (141st) is a double-overage center with size and playmaking ability. Mitchell Hoelscher (172nd) is an aggressive two-way center with the potential to put up more points, and Finnish winger Eetu Pakkila (203rd) has the speed and drive that fits with how the Devils like to attack these days. Still, they didn’t have a pick in the second or third round and only came away with one pure offensive defenseman when they could have used a few more.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The guy who had us taking Makar #1 overall instead of Nico?

The way Makar was talked up at the draft last year you would have thought he’s dominate college as a freshman, instead of going back for his sophomore year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is by no means an insult to McLeod. There is a very strong chance he develops into a 50+ point, two-way second line C with blazing speed. Any team would be happy to have that. He would be a perfect compliment to Nico as 1C.

But Smith has just outstanding upside as a star 1D, which the Devils organization severely lacked. That puts him at the top of the list. And Anderson's upward progression since draft day has been meteoric. When we drafted him, I thought he could be a speedier Ryan Callahan, but now I'm upgrading him to TJ Oshie 2.0. He's just been outstanding both in the WJCs and at the University of Minnesota-Duluth. There is a solid chance he lines up alongside Taylor and Nico on the top unit next year.

Too many people are seeing it as a dig on McLeod, so thanks for that clarification.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
The way Makar was talked up at the draft last year you would have thought he’s dominate college as a freshman, instead of going back for his sophomore year.

Walsh produced about the same as he did too, but Walsh also had a better team aroud him. They both finished 5th in scoring on their teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad