GDT: 2018 NHL Draft Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
So he contradicted himself or later changed his mind and ranked Miller ahead of Smith.

You get too caught up in trivial stuff too much.

3d49ae3aa8008e795ce9634e25c1ecbd.jpg

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
So he contradicted himself or later changed his mind and ranked Miller ahead of Smith.

You get too caught up in trivial stuff too much.

You are actually correct -- when doing the LD rankings I had Smith a hair above Miller, and then (weeks later) when I was doing my complete rankings, I had Miller a hair above Smith. But what is important to note is that I had both of these prospects rated very highly from the get-go.

I suppose it's also important to note that I had Smith ranked concurrently with most scouting services/prospect experts, while I had Miller ranked higher than pretty much anyone. Do I think they will both be stars? Yes.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i don't think @Devils Dominion doesn't hate Ty, but I think REALLY wanted some other people. it's like me justifying all these reasons why we shouldn't have drafted nico (until we drafted him of course) in favor of nolan. boy was i glad to be wrong though.

k'andre (i thought) was gonna be a pick of ours, since character was a strong suit and how there was potential for having dynamic offense (which is very shero-esque). but i think his boom/bust potential in that regard made him fall, where as ty has a much higher floor for being a steady D.

from what i've read up on, it seems his offense is underrated and less flashy. you'll get lowkey production (smart passes, good pinches that result in secondary As), as opposed to sexy dangling a la Subban, or a booming shot a la Weber. sort of like Butcher - not the fastest skater, and not the heaviest shot, but boy did he put up points with that brain of his

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
k'andre seems like exactly the type of pick that would have gotten insane hype based on potential with a slim likelihood of actually realizing it. I respect STI's analysis a lot but when you are comparing a well rounded high floor defenseman that falls to you with a project pick with boom and bust potential it's pretty much a no brainer

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
maybe i shouldn't say slim likelihood because I really don't know, but it's certainly far from a given

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
K'Andre Miller has perhaps the 2nd biggest "bust" potential of the 1st round*, and I was saying that LONG before the Rangers took him. Way too many "ifs" & "buts" & "if he continues on this path" he'll be great etc.. to risk a 1st round pick on him IMO.

Looking at 9 NHL mock drafts, Miller was an average #24 pick, the Rangers took him at #21. In the same vein, Merkley was a 2nd Round pick in 6/9 mock drafts, and an average of #25 in the 3 mocks that took him in Round 1, the Sharks drafted him even higher at #21. So Merkley is clearly the biggest high-risk / high-reward pick, because by all accounts if he didnt have a horrible attitude he would have been a top-10 pick.

*Ryan Merkley has to be #1 given he's apparently a huge jerk & you need to bank on that just being "immaturity" which will go away someday

Reactions: OmNomNom

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
K'Andre Miller has perhaps the 2nd biggest "bust" potential of the 1st round*, and I was saying that LONG before the Rangers took him. Way too many "ifs" & "buts" & "if he continues on this path" he'll be great etc.. to risk a 1st round pick on him IMO.

Looking at 9 NHL mock drafts, Miller was an average #24 pick, the Rangers took him at #21. In the same vein, Merkley was a 2nd Round pick in 6/9 mock drafts, and an average of #25 in the 3 mocks that took him in Round 1, the Sharks drafted him even higher at #21. So Merkley is clearly the biggest high-risk / high-reward pick, because by all accounts if he didnt have a horrible attitude he would have been a top-10 pick.

*Ryan Merkley has to be #1 given he's apparently a huge jerk & you need to bank on that just being "immaturity" which will go away someday
if it does though, and he actually works on his defensive game (or they shift him to forward, like a reverse brent burns), then watch out

Reactions: BenedictGomez

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Akira having a potential ceiling of Pekka Rinne? That's a pretty high ceiling.

And if Xavier even becomes HALF the player that Phaneuf is.....that would be amazing. :thumbu:

I think we’d all take a poor man’s Phaneuf on the bottom pair.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I'll say it again, Miller does not really have a ton of "bust" potential. He began this season as probably the #4D on the US-NTDP behind Wilde, Samuelsson and Emberson and by the end of the year he was their best D. The combination of his physicality and speed would make him a useful weapon on an NHL third pairing even if his game never develops into a reliable, 20+ minute defenseman. Moreover, it's important to note that his combination of elite athleticism and extreme intelligence is just rare.

As far as saying Miller has more "bust" potential than Filip Johansson, I mean -- that's just silly. It's just trying to affirm a preconceived (and ill-conceived) bias. If any expert had to list 5 possible busts from the first round, it is extremely unlikely Miller's name would even come up. I mean, several players have far more to prove than Miller in 2018-19: Bernard-Docker, Foudy, Lundkvist, etc etc.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I'll say it again, Miller does not really have a ton of "bust" potential. He began this season as probably the #4D on the US-NTDP behind Wilde, Samuelsson and Emberson and by the end of the year he was their best D. The combination of his physicality and speed would make him a useful weapon on an NHL third pairing even if his game never develops into a reliable, 20+ minute defenseman. Moreover, it's important to note that his combination of elite athleticism and extreme intelligence is just rare.

As far as saying Miller has more "bust" potential than Filip Johansson, I mean -- that's just silly. It's just trying to affirm a preconceived (and ill-conceived) bias. If any expert had to list 5 possible busts from the first round, it is extremely unlikely Miller's name would even come up. I mean, several players have far more to prove than Miller in 2018-19: Bernard-Docker, Foudy, Lundkvist, etc etc.
so was miller's dropping unfounded? not saying that as a rhetorical question, but did he drop because his sample of work AS a defenseman is small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad