Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
i really wish the nhl would change their rules when it comes to getting the top 5 pick like teams that make the playoffs have more chances of landing a star instead of losing because i think it would make the teams more competitive, more money.

castle_confused.gif

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017

Interesting article.

Matthew Strome is a pretty good example,” Hextall said last week. “With Matthew, skating is his weakness. He’s got one flaw, everything else is pretty good.

Playmaking ability or possessing a high hockey IQ are traits that require years of development, whereas poor skating is a mechanical flaw that demands rewiring the brain and breaking old habits similar to how a golf coach makes adjustments to a player’s swing.

“I can spend an hour with some players and they can get the stride right off. In one hour, some guys get way better,” said Slava Kouznetsov, who has served as the Flyers' skating coach since 2006. “Some guys spend weeks of training to get the same stuff done. It’s learning a new language. Some guys pick it up right away with the way the brain is wired, and some guys will never be able to speak the language. Some guys will take years to pick it up.”

So, in conclusion, first we'll rewire Strome's brain.

Then, we'll remove all his slow-twitch muscles and replace them with fast- twitch muscles from a "volunteer" donor.

giphy.gif

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
The more I watch Nils Lundqvist, the more I like him. Reminds me of a right-handed Ghost in the offensive zone.

I don’t see it

From my viewing (not super extensive) I think I see what Rebels is talking about. Similar stature to Ghost, smart with the puck and good on the PP.

Ghost probably had a better shot at his draft age, but it looks like Lundqvist's defensive game is more advanced. He did well as a 17 year old in the SHL, which is impressive.

Button has him going to the Caps at #31 in his mock draft, and he mentions Sami Vatanen as a comparable.

Mark Edwards is very high on him and has him at #19 on the HockeyProspects.com list. Mark made these comments about Lundqvist on a main boards post:

"He's a smart player. Offensive upside is quite high and he moved pucks well, smart and quickly. A lot of Boqvist in his game (not the shot) but better defensive game. His pro games were impressive vs men. He didn't play too safe, he showed off his talent. I think he's just getting started."

Reactions: Rebels57

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Depends who is there at 19.

That goes without saying. If a player they like falls to 19, then they’ll obviously take them. I mean though if it’s a situation where there’s no standout at 19 and they feel they can get a similar talent at 26.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Really? He is very assertive in the ozone. Has an angry one-timer. Im not comparing their games on the whole. Just in the ozone. But whatev lol.
From my viewing (not super extensive) I think I see what Rebels is talking about. Similar stature to Ghost, smart with the puck and good on the PP.

Ghost probably had a better shot at his draft age, but it looks like Lundqvist's defensive game is more advanced. He did well as a 17 year old in the SHL, which is impressive.

Button has him going to the Caps at #31 in his mock draft, and he mentions Sami Vatanen as a comparable.

Mark Edwards is very high on him and has him at #19 on the HockeyProspects.com list. Mark made these comments about Lundqvist on a main boards post:

"He's a smart player. Offensive upside is quite high and he moved pucks well, smart and quickly. A lot of Boqvist in his game (not the shot) but better defensive game. His pro games were impressive vs men. He didn't play too safe, he showed off his talent. I think he's just getting started."
He’s the main guy I was gonna watch again before the draft because my opinion is completely different from what almost everyone else is saying. Maybe I’m wrong, but I didn’t see Ghost when I watched him.

Reactions: Foggy14

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Did Sam Cosentino at Sportsnet come out with his final list or mock yet?

"The 2018 NHL Draft is coming up live from Dallas!
A June tradition on Sportsnet 960 is our Mock Draft. We call in the big gunners for this…
Junior Hockey Experts Sam Cosentino and Peter Loubardias come in and predict all 31 first round picks! The boys also give expert analysis on each of the prospects and why they think each team will take what player.
Tune in for our two hour specials on:

Wednesday June 20, from 6-8pm
Thursday June 21, from 10am – 12pm
Friday June 22, from 2pm – 4pm"

Sportsnet

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He’s the main guy I was gonna watch again before the draft because my opinion is completely different from what almost everyone else is saying. Maybe I’m wrong, but I didn’t see Ghost when I watched him.

Well let me know who you think his ozone game is reminiscent of if you get around to watching more of him. I havent seen a ton.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
"The 2018 NHL Draft is coming up live from Dallas!
A June tradition on Sportsnet 960 is our Mock Draft. We call in the big gunners for this…
Junior Hockey Experts Sam Cosentino and Peter Loubardias come in and predict all 31 first round picks! The boys also give expert analysis on each of the prospects and why they think each team will take what player.
Tune in for our two hour specials on:

Wednesday June 20, from 6-8pm
Thursday June 21, from 10am – 12pm
Friday June 22, from 2pm – 4pm"

Sportsnet

You are a scholar and a gentleman. :5:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Well let me know who you think his ozone game is reminiscent of if you get around to watching more of him. I havent seen a ton.

My ozone game has really gone down since I stopped freebasing salmon. I have a really low carbon assprint at the moment. Not sure what this has to do with the draft, but just felt like sharing.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Anyone know of some good hockey podcasts that are doing draft related episodes this week? I know McKenzie just did one on his Bobcast, and Meltzer on Flyerbuzz. Anyone know of any others?

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I think I would stay put at 14. This draft is a funny one, several guys stable and some guys moving up and down. I am gonna narrow it down to 14: Vitali Kravtsov,rw,KHL or Joel Farabee, lw,NDPD. 19 pick may be in play with Simmer trade. Or some may be coming back. Not sure where he ends up but their is interest. Charlie Coyle is one name floated around. I wouldn’t mind him.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I think I would stay put at 14. This draft is a funny one, several guys stable and some guys moving up and down. I am gonna narrow it down to 14: Vitali Kravtsov,rw,KHL or Joel Farabee, lw,NDPD. 19 pick may be in play with Simmer trade. Or some may be coming back. Not sure where he ends up but their is interest. Charlie Coyle is one name floated around. I wouldn’t mind him.

I really like him too, particularly as part of a Simmer trade. I like where we are with both 14 and 19 - I really think that is the sweet spot for what we are looking for (scoring wingers) and wouldn't like to trade down, although that's mostly because I'm desperate for us to nab Berggren. If he's gone at 19, then I wouldn't mind trading down and grabbing a combination of late firsts/seconds and pick up that RHD.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017

No worries. If we all saw this stuff the same, this place would be pretty boring.

My question is where do I place K'Andre Miller against some of the other defenders (like Lundqvist) who might be available at #19? His combination of size, skating and potential is really intriguing.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I hate to say it, but the NYR are going to have a great draft. 5 picks in the top 48.

Like if Draftsite was 100% accurate, they would walk away with:

Bouchard at 8
Denisenko at 26
Bokk at 28
Berggren at 39
Demin at 48

2018 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

I like the approach they’ve been going with by being proactive. As someone else said, they might be missing that elite talent. If they follow this up with 1 or 2 more bottom 5-10 finishes, they’ll be dangerous in a few years.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I really like him too, particularly as part of a Simmer trade. I like where we are with both 14 and 19 - I really think that is the sweet spot for what we are looking for (scoring wingers) and wouldn't like to trade down, although that's mostly because I'm desperate for us to nab Berggren. If he's gone at 19, then I wouldn't mind trading down and grabbing a combination of late firsts/seconds and pick up that RHD.
I think we are in a good position as we have a lot of depth in the system. I would rather try and move up and grab one of the top RHD or top wingers. I'd be willing to take some risks and overpay a bit to move to 6-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad