Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't think he's going to be in the Flyers range, but if there is a better passer than Nicolas Beaudin from the backend, I haven't seen him. This kid is a high, high level passer. Look offs. Saucers. Everything. And he makes quick reads too. He's a breakout machine.

Beaudin was one of those players who just looked better the more I watched after I got over the initial size/skating thought. Wanted so badly to rank him higher. I went back and forth. I still think early 30s is pretty high. And it's more a tier for me from late 20s-early 30s. There are a lot of solid players. But he's not the prettiest all-around skater, an October birthday, and pretty slight. Like I said in my write-up, even Sandin is a better skater. I WISH Beaudin just had better feet. But holy shit is he smart and a great puck mover. Like I said too, early second round I would take that chance. I don't know if he'll slip to 50, but anything can happen for smaller defenseman with some flaws. Probably goes closer to 40 though.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's really no point trying to figure out what Ron's going to do, other than taking the lower IQ, lower work ethic, selfish and lazy players off the board.
He runs a tight ship, and the only rumors that have legs will come from other organizations sending trade feelers his way.
But as far as the draft, I don't think anything has leaked out or will leak out.

I mean sure, he'd like a RHD, he likes centers, he wants some shooters, etc.
And that tells you what? Because Ron trusts his whole draft, he doesn't feel like he has to check off all these boxes in the 1st rd.

On the other hand, that makes for real suspense come Friday.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Taking Wilde just screams we want a big RHD and he's the only one left.

Beaudin was one of those players who just looked better the more I watched after I got over the initial size/skating thought. Wanted so badly to rank him higher. I went back and forth. I still think early 30s is pretty high. And it's more a tier for me from late 20s-early 30s. There are a lot of solid players. But he's not the prettiest all-around skater, an October birthday, and pretty slight. Like I said in my write-up, even Sandin is a better skater. I WISH Beaudin just had better feet. But holy **** is he smart and a great puck mover. Like I said too, early second round I would take that chance. I don't know if he'll slip to 50, but anything can happen for smaller defenseman with some flaws. Probably goes closer to 40 though.

I'm anticipating him off the board by ~35. I just find it hard to believe a PPG+ defenseman can slip much further than that (Sam Girard slipping in a deeper draft may be on the minds). I would probably take him around 25. The skating concerns are legit, but I value passing ability on about the same level as I do with skating. I just think he's too smart and too good of a puck mover not to be a good player at the next level, even if the skating doesn't take a big jump. Of course I'm not expecting a first pairing defender, but I certainly think he has top 4 potential. I'm a believer too that if a guy is as productive as he is with average or sub-par skating, what is he going to look like if he picks up a half of step or a full step? I might sound crazy, but watching him he kind of reminded me of [draft year] Provy-lite, figuratively and literally.

I'm a stickler for age, but for him it doesn't bug me as much. This was only his second full season in the Q- 3rd round pick out of midget. Whether he was 2017 eligible or 2018 eligible, his production this year was great. Leading your team in scoring, as a defenseman, without having to play like Ryan Merkley is pretty impressive. And he wasn't too far off of the team lead last year either when he was essentially a rookie. Productive on the PP but not overreliant on it. I wouldn't expect a huge jump next year like most D+1 guys, but he's already pretty good.

I'll be interested to see where these 3rd and 4th tier, sub-6 foot defensemen go this weekend and how it plays out over the next couple of years. There are a lot of them.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Taking Wilde just screams we want a big RHD and he's the only one left.

I'm anticipating him off the board by ~35. I just find it hard to believe a PPG+ defenseman can slip much further than that (Sam Girard slipping in a deeper draft may be on the minds). I would probably take him around 25. The skating concerns are legit, but I value passing ability on about the same level as I do with skating. I just think he's too smart and too good of a puck mover not to be a good player at the next level, even if the skating doesn't take a big jump. Of course I'm not expecting a first pairing defender, but I certainly think he has top 4 potential. I'm a believer too that if a guy is as productive as he is with average or sub-par skating, what is he going to look like if he picks up a half of step or a full step? I might sound crazy, but watching him he kind of reminded me of [draft year] Provy-lite, figuratively and literally.

I'm a stickler for age, but for him it doesn't bug me as much. This was only his second full season in the Q- 3rd round pick out of midget. Whether he was 2017 eligible or 2018 eligible, his production this year was great. Leading your team in scoring, as a defenseman, without having to play like Ryan Merkley is pretty impressive. And he wasn't too far off of the team lead last year either when he was essentially a rookie. Productive on the PP but not overreliant on it. I wouldn't expect a huge jump next year like most D+1 guys, but he's already pretty good.

I'll be interested to see where these 3rd and 4th tier, sub-6 foot defensemen go this weekend and how it plays out over the next couple of years. There are a lot of them.

I can't disagree. He can be a top 4 guy; you bet on smarts and puck skill all day, and he's well-rounded in his game to boot. I'd still prefer Sandin as a similar d-man (I think he has better hands too), who probably is there at 25, but Beaudin is a really good player. Almost like Timmins last year, you don't know if he's a 1st, but you feel great about him as an early 2nd, where risk is easier. I actually like Beaudin quite a bit more than I liked Timmins.

I've made it pretty clear who my guy, no exception, is at #19, but if I was GM, part of me likes the idea of taking him at #14 if the board doesn't break our way and trading down from #19. Hell, even a trade down from #14 is possible. Like I've said a lot, d-men in particular in that 25-40 range look really good, not to mention forwards. Getting 2 in that range is an enticing idea.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm not sure of who this will be, but it would be nice to just go for a "sniper" player. I don't care if they are crappy on D, I don't even care if they are suspect skater, just somebody who can shoot.

If not that guy, draft literally the fastest player available. I love watching players just smoke other players.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
In Pronman’s final mock he has us taking Kravtsov at 14 and Kaut at 19.

All of the sudden we love Pronman and hate Button.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
i really wish the nhl would change their rules when it comes to getting the top 5 pick like teams that make the playoffs have more chances of landing a star instead of losing because i think it would make the teams more competitive, more money.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The more I watch Nils Lundqvist, the more I like him. Reminds me of a right-handed Ghost in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Foggy14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad