Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I guess, man. I've never once had him in my top 10 and have written pretty veiled negative posts talking about similar issues pertaining to him being a top 10 pick and like 90% of this post from 4 months ago is in my final write-up (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-nhl-draft-shall-we-begin.2379447/page-30#post-142390467).

He gets away with a lot of **** on London he wouldn't and won't elsewhere, but they also need to him to play like this, so I don't know who to blame. 18 year olds playing 30 minutes a night for 70 games is taxing. 5 minutes a night more than another top d-man adds up to 350 more minutes, or close to 15 games. It's not exactly surprising he glides around half the time. Unlike a forward, he can't take shifts off in his own end. He's never excited me like others; I wouldn't be keen on drafting him with a top pick and would greatly prefer others if I had the choice; but supposedly Detroit wants to get him at #6 to add to their collection with Rasmussen. Not our problem.

Seems like a good write-up. I agree that his skating also is a question mark for such an offensive-oriented defenseman, and that's another problem. I suppose it's taxing playing 30 minutes a night for 70 games, but I can't use that as a blanket excuse for the repeated lazy defensive efforts and poor technique in that playoff game. And 18 year old kids should have a lot of energy; it's not like they're 30+ years old and broken down from years of hard wear and tear. He did a lot of things I personally can't stand in a player, and that comes from my own various (non-hockey) coaching experiences. It's not all bad -- I've seen him make some tremendous passes -- but I agree, let Detroit take him at 6.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don’t see the Ghost/Hughes comparison personally

I didn't say it was a direct 1-for-1 stylistic comparison -- I've actually gone out of my way to point out differences before -- but you don't think comparing arguably the best sub-6 ft offensive dynamo LHD to one of the better sub-6 ft offensive dynamo LHD prospects in recent years is an appropriate comparison in terms of NHL upside and role? We're not exactly talking a comparison to Robert Hagg here.

My one sentence contribution to the thought experiment of trading up for Quinn Hughes (which wouldn't happen anyway) was that he'd have no room to flourish here given his spot in the lineup is blocked by an almost 70 point, league best PP point getting, in-his-prime hopeful ceiling of Quinn Hughes. Unless Hughes got Ghost's minutes, which some other team in more desperate need of this player type can offer, it's rather pointless. Opportunity cost always plays a part when determining cost-effectiveness.

Reactions: Rebels57

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Wow! Great video and thank you for sharing.

I hadn't watched a ton of Bouchard, since he is unlikely to fall to the Flyers' range, and most of what I had seen just focused on his offense, not his defense, which can be a problem in using video to scout defensemen.

He definitely has offensive skill and intelligence, but I absolutely HATE what I see in this video. I mean, utterly despise it, and I'm extremely glad I was able to watch it. Utterly lazy, lackadaisical defense, both technique-wise and effort-wise. And repeatedly so.

He reads the ice well offensively, but he sure doesn't have the same knack on the other side of the puck.

Forget the Flyers drafting him. And he's definitely getting knocked down on my list.
Yeah, I probably wouldn't take him at 14, personally. With Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers in the system, I don't feel the need to try to hit a home run on a guy with size and skills, but IQ concerns.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I'm a bit sad to me that Hayton now appears to be completely out of reach, when yesterday he was supposed to be an option at 14. In my mind, if Hayton was there, the Flyers were picking him, but it appears to be highly unlikely he's still there now.

On that note, if Boqvist is there at 14, do you take him or let him keep falling? At this point, if he fell, it would probably mean Smith was picked. So, possibly Farabee or Boqvist at 14. I'm not sure who I'm taking, but I'm leaning towards picking Farabee.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The good news is the Flyers can do no worse than getting one of these 15 prospects:

Defense
Rasmus Dahlin
Quinn Hughes
Adam Boqvist
Noah Dobson
Evan Bouchard
Ty Smith

Wing
Andrei Svechnikov
Filip Zadina
Brady Tkachuk
Oliver Wahlstrom
Joel Farabee
Vitaly Kravtsov

Center
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Barrett Hayton
Joe Veleno

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Underrated, potential sleeper late 1st-early 2nd. Probably a future Bruin.

Love this kid. In the past month he has moved up from the 70's to 30's on my list. I currently have him at 37, which may be a little higher than he should be but every time I watch or read anything about him, he just keeps rising. Smart kid that can skate, not afraid of the dirty area's, vision, control, nice shot......whats not to like?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The good news is the Flyers can do no worse than getting one of these 15 prospects:

Defense
Rasmus Dahlin
Quinn Hughes
Adam Boqvist
Noah Dobson
Evan Bouchard
Ty Smith

Wing
Andrei Svechnikov
Filip Zadina
Brady Tkachuk
Oliver Wahlstrom
Joel Farabee
Vitaly Kravtsov

Center
Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Barrett Hayton
Joe Veleno

there are 2 guys on that list maybe 3 that just don't have the upside as the rest. Farabee, veleno, and smith.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Disagree about Farabee, hear you on Veleno and Smith. Every year the draft results in a few big surprises which means a couple of guys I didnt even list will probably go before 14. I still think if there is any big agressive move Hextall makes this summer its to move up into the top 10 for Wahlstrom or one of the RH shooting D.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
as much i do not like veleno's upside, his floor imo is lars eller. Great mobile center that lacks natural scoring touch and may have less than ideal hands to play in the top 6, but responsible two way player. Could be a 3rd line center for years to come.

Giroux coots konecny
frost patrick voracek
Lindblom veleno ratcliffe

a top 9 that looks like that is money.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
My one sentence contribution to the thought experiment of trading up for Quinn Hughes (which wouldn't happen anyway) was that he'd have no room to flourish here given his spot in the lineup is blocked by an almost 70 point, league best PP point getting, in-his-prime hopeful ceiling of Quinn Hughes. Unless Hughes got Ghost's minutes, which some other team in more desperate need of this player type can offer, it's rather pointless. Opportunity cost always plays a part when determining cost-effectiveness.

All fair points but I don't think Ghost would shut off opportunities from Hughes. He could play in Voracek's spot on the PP or we could just change the PP entirely to accommodate both. Or, god forbid we have a great 2nd unit lol. And it isn't like Ghost plays ridiculous ES minutes. Having both would create some interesting matchup challenges for opposing coaches. You are definitely right that he has more value to a team that doesn't already have a 70 point PP defenseman, but skill is skill and if Hughes dropped (which I'd be shocked if he fell past 8) I would highly consider a move up.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I didn't say it was a direct 1-for-1 stylistic comparison -- I've actually gone out of my way to point out differences before -- but you don't think comparing arguably the best sub-6 ft offensive dynamo LHD to one of the better sub-6 ft offensive dynamo LHD prospects in recent years is an appropriate comparison in terms of NHL upside and role? We're not exactly talking a comparison to Robert Hagg here.

Im with you. Hughes is not what thid team needs any time soon. Could make for one hell of a trade asset though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm a bit sad to me that Hayton now appears to be completely out of reach, when yesterday he was supposed to be an option at 14. In my mind, if Hayton was there, the Flyers were picking him, but it appears to be highly unlikely he's still there now.

On that note, if Boqvist is there at 14, do you take him or let him keep falling? At this point, if he fell, it would probably mean Smith was picked. So, possibly Farabee or Boqvist at 14. I'm not sure who I'm taking, but I'm leaning towards picking Farabee.

Hextall is targetting "pure goal scorers" and "right-handed dmen" in this draft and Hayton is neither.

Hes another guy who doesnt really fit here long term. The 3C job is already Haytons better teammate Frosts in 1-2 years. Coots and Patrick aint going anywhere either. Again, maybe a nice trade asset though?

Reactions: Tripod

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Flyers will be moving up. That's exciting atleast. No more quantity but quality.
Agreed. They have a bazillion prospects at this point who might be decent to good NHL'ers. What they need to start adding now is blue chip prospects to go along with Patrick, Provorov, and Konecny. They have two mid first round picks so at the very least I would hope that they will aggressively try to move up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I doubt they're moving up, once you get past the first 2-3 players in a draft, the quality falls off and scouting acumen is more important than draft position.
Who would you take over TK and Frost in their drafts?

Hextall knows he's going to get a player he likes at #14, and he'll have lots of options at #19 (target a player, trade back).
So to move into the top ten, if it costs #19, is very unlikely, and #50 won't get you there.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think Boqvist is the 3rd best player in the draft. If he falls, a team is getting a heck of a steal, IMO.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Wahlstrom is the type of power forward I bet Hextall thinks would be the perfect complement to a player like Frost.

Hextall likes size. Wahlstrom certainly has size, power, and an absolute cannon shot. I do think he would fit in very well with the young core; they don't have a player of Wahlstrom's style. My concern with Wahlstrom is how much did he rely on Jack Hughes? His stats were rather pedestrian for a top prospect until the magician Hughes came along to center him this season. That worried me at first. That said, the more I watch Wahlstrom, the more I like him, and he should be fine with Patrick or Frost setting him up.

I'm not completely sure it's worth giving up 14 & 19 to trade up, still debating that idea, but I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't be exciting to have Wahlstrom in the system.
You have to remember too, Wahlstrom JUST turned 18 and his development has been pretty rapid. I don't necessarily believe that Hughes was the primary reason for Wahlstrom's success or production. He may have helped him along, but who was he playing with BEFORE? If you watch his game, it's not like Hughes was creating everything and Wahlstrom was just a passenger, he's a driving force just as much as Hughes is.

He's easily my favorite player in the draft after the top 2. I have a real good feeling about him.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

Defense
Rasmus Dahlin
Quinn Hughes
Adam Boqvist
Noah Dobson
Evan Bouchard
Ty Smith

Wing
Andrei Svechnikov
Filip Zadina
Brady Tkachuk
Oliver Wahlstrom