Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
When Hextall, prompted about "safe" picks, talked about taking swings on upside, but having to believe that players can actually hit their upside and not a 20% chance, I couldn't help but think of someone like Denisenko (among a few others).

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Bernard-Docker seems to profile as a guy we should definitely be looking very diligently at. I think he's the type that may go much higher than the public mainstream lists have him.

Hypothetically, where would you select him then? I presume you're talking about a trade down from #19 and potentially using the 1st on JBD (though we've never seen him). But would you be willing to pass over a more higher ranked forward, as you see it, to do so?

To me that trade down situation only arises if someone like Kravtsov or Farabee were not there at #14, which might cause other dominoes to fall across the draft board -- our draft board at least! I'm always keen on trying to trade up from 50 to 35-40 to take a faller, but I'm not as strictly RHD as you that high up in the draft. It's possible JBD is still there in that range too. He's definitely not someone who will be easy to predict where he goes.

Last edited:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Hypothetically, where would you select him then? I presume you're talking about a trade down from #19 and potentially using the 1st on JBD (though we've never seen him). But would you be willing to pass over a more higher ranked forward, as you see it, to do so?

To me that situation only arises if someone like Kravtsov or Farabee were not there at #14, which might cause other dominoes to fall across the draft board -- our draft board at least! I'm always keen on trying to trade up from 50 to 35-40 to take a faller, but I'm not as strictly RHD as you that high up in the draft. It's possible JBD is still there in that range too. He's definitely not someone who will be easy to predict where he goes.

I don't know how to answer that because other than some quick YouTube clips I've never seen him. I'm just intrigued by players who profile like him.

I don't necessarily trust any public ranking on him since the AJHL is an afterthought to most. For all we know he's much more highly coveted by NHL teams with the manpower and resources to actually watch those games. Even a reputable list like HockeyProspect.com only has so many resources. I would doubt they have more than a few viewings on him while playing on his normal AJHL team.

If the Flyers decided to move down and take him I'd have no problem with that at all. He fits the profile of a riser who may be underrated, underscouted, and he is a RHD. Something we need. Is always in demand, and really hard to find talent at. And really, the Flyers amateur scouts have earned a fair bit of trust at this point in my opinion.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't know how to answer that because other than some quick YouTube clips I've never seen him. I'm just intrigued by players who profile like him.

I don't necessarily trust any public ranking on him since the AJHL is an afterthought to most. For all we know he's much more highly coveted by NHL teams with the manpower and resources to actually watch those games. Even a reputable list like HockeyProspect.com only has so many resources. I would doubt they have more than a few viewings on him while playing on his normal AJHL team.

If the Flyers decided to move down and take him I'd have no problem with that at all. He fits the profile of a riser who may be underrated, underscouted, and he is a RHD. Something we need. Is always in demand, and really hard to find talent at. And really, the Flyers amateur scouts have earned a fair bit of trust at this point in my opinion.

It's weird to talk about a player no one really knows about and who might end up a 2nd anyway, but I guess I'll more bluntly say: would you rather do a general trade down (for JBD or Lundkvist or whoever) than take Berggren or Kaut at #19? How much would you value a top 4 RHD?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
A thread on McKenzie's draft podcast.

So I listened to this. I think he intimated Konecny had a promise from the Kings and would have gone 13, but they changed their minds and opted for immediate help in Lucic.

Also, I would not bet on Kravtsov being an option at 14.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I am chuckling now at people who said last year's draft was WOAT... but in hindsight looky looky at who the best C's are in 2018. Valeno? Hayton? Kotkaniemi?

Nico & Nolan were/are significantly better prospects than any C available in this draft AINEC

2017 Draft didnt have any franchise player at the top so it was underrated by most. The 1st round is looking really good as of today.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So I listened to this. I think he intimated Konecny had a promise from the Kings and would have gone 13, but they changed their minds and opted for immediate help in Lucic.

Wow did we get lucky or what?

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
This team really does lack shooters. As far as our forwards go we don't really have a single sniper. Giroux, TK and Couts have pretty good shots, but they score goals more off of their IQ than their natural skills. We'll see what Patrick becomes and I think he has potential to have the best shot on the team, but right now we can't call it a major strength of his.

As much as it might not be totally worth trading up to grab Wahlstrom, if he falls into the 8-10 range, I wouldn't be opposed to the move. He really does fill a massive whole on the team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This team really does lack shooters. As far as our forwards go we don't really have a single sniper. Giroux, TK and Couts have pretty good shots, but they score goals more off of their IQ than their natural skills. We'll see what Patrick becomes and I think he has potential to have the best shot on the team, but right now we can't call it a major strength of his.

As much as it might not be totally worth trading up to grab Wahlstrom, if he falls into the 8-10 range, I wouldn't be opposed to the move. He really does fill a massive whole on the team.

Would absolutely trade up for Wahlstrom.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Per McKenzie's podcast, he doesn't think they've made a decision, but trading back and taking Hayton (who has top 5 support from some scouts) is on the table. You're welcome.
giphy.gif

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Hextall probably likes Bouchard, too. He's a very intelligent player who sees the ice very well.
If you have some time, you should check this out if you haven't yet.

Not that this means he's a bad player, but I've also noticed from the little I've watched him that he's often lost in the defensive zone and opposing teams sure do like to target his side of the ice. He obviously has size, talent, and is Canadian, so I'm sure he's going real high anyways.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Not that this means he's a bad player, but I've also noticed from the little I've watched him that he's often lost in the defensive zone and opposing teams sure do like to target his side of the ice. He obviously has size, talent, and is Canadian, so I'm sure he's going real high anyways.

Not a fan of Bouchard myself. Feel as though hes an overrated prospect.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I wouldn't bet on it either. But I wouldn't totally outrule the possibility; we've seen people fall from Bob's rankings plenty, accurate as they are. A Russian falling is hardly new. 14 is close enough too. But even if Kravtsov, for example, fell out of that top 12, Dallas sure seems a possibility, unless they got gun shy after their last two Russian picks.

It only would take a couple teams is my point. But part of my issue is I'm not entirely sure who would sneak in. Mark Edwards basically threw cold water on people's Veleno fantasies. I think Farabee could sneak in, but that doesn't do us much good either probably. And even if he doesn't perhaps he goes #13. Smith? Kaut? Not impossible, but I'm uncertain who would bump someone out. There does seem to be a similar-ish herd of players after that "top 12," without too many standouts, at least in a consensus manner of speaking. A lot of players could go at a lot of spots.

As was posted a few days ago, trading into the top 10 is so exceedingly rare. I agree that at least Wahlstrom makes sense, unlike a defenseman, even as a RH RW. But people get too focused on trading into the top 10 that they ignore NYI having 11 and 12 is a more distinct possibility if the Flyers HAD to have someone. I doubt Wahlstrom would be there, Kravtsov perhaps, or whoever........but trading #14+#50 to move up, say, 2 spots is plausible. Wouldn't love the value with no 3rd rounder either though, given we could perhaps use #50 to move back up into the top 40. And at that point, I'd rather just pick "their guy" #14. It would have to be a slam dunk player falling.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Would absolutely trade up for Wahlstrom.

most mock drafts have him going between 6 and 9. if he's still on the board by the 8th pick, Hex better get on the phone. he'd be the perfect fit for this team.

Wahlstrom is probably the only player i'd trade up for. realistically of course. nobody is moving in the top 5.

Reactions: Rebels57

BUIHAHockey

Oct 19, 2015
St Andrews, Scotland
I was bored so I made a mock draft. I don't post often but I thought it might be worth a share:

1 Buffalo: Rasmus Dahlin
2 Carolina: Andrei Svechnikov
3 Montreal: Filip Zadina
4 Ottawa: Quinton Hughes
5 Phoenix: Brady Tkachuk
6 Detroit: Adam Boqvist
7 Vancouver: Oliver Wahlstrom
8 Chicago: Evan Bouchard
9 New York: Jesperi Kotkaniemi
10 Edmonton: Noah Dobson
11: New York Islanders: Joe Veleno
12: New York Islanders: Barett Hayton
13: Dallas: Joel Farabee
14: Philadelphia: Vitali Kravtsov
15: Florida: Ty Smith
16: Colorado: Martin Kaut
17: New Jersey: Bode Wilde
18: Columbus: Rasmus Kupari
19: Philadelphia: Jonatan Breggren
20: Las Angeles: Grigori Denisenko
21: San Jose: Isac Lunderstrom
22: Ottawa: Akil Thomas
23: Anaheim: Serron Noel
24: Minnesota: Dominik Bokk
25: Toronto: Jared McIssac
26: New York: Rasmus Sandin
27: Chicago: Ryan McLeod
28: New York: Ryan Merkley
29: St Louis: Alexander Alexeyev
30: Detroit: K’Andre Miller
31: Capitals: Jett Woo

Reactions: BigToe and Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was bored so I made a mock draft. I don't post often but I thought it might be worth a share:

1 Buffalo: Rasmus Dahlin
2 Carolina: Andrei Svechnikov
3 Montreal: Filip Zadina
4 Ottawa: Quinton Hughes
5 Phoenix: Brady Tkachuk
6 Detroit: Adam Boqvist
7 Vancouver: Oliver Wahlstrom
8 Chicago: Evan Bouchard
9 New York: Jesperi Kotkaniemi
10 Edmonton: Noah Dobson
11: New York Islanders: Joe Veleno
12: New York Islanders: Barett Hayton
13: Dallas: Joel Farabee
14: Philadelphia: Vitali Kravtsov
15: Florida: Ty Smith
16: Colorado: Martin Kaut
17: New Jersey: Bode Wilde
18: Columbus: Rasmus Kupari
19: Philadelphia: Jonatan Breggren
20: Las Angeles: Grigori Denisenko
21: San Jose: Isac Lunderstrom
22: Ottawa: Akil Thomas
23: Anaheim: Serron Noel
24: Minnesota: Dominik Bokk
25: Toronto: Jared McIssac
26: New York: Rasmus Sandin
27: Chicago: Ryan McLeod
28: New York: Ryan Merkley
29: St Louis: Alexander Alexeyev
30: Detroit: K’Andre Miller
31: Capitals: Jett Woo

Good job buddy :thumbu:

Reactions: BUIHAHockey

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Wow! Great video and thank you for sharing.

I hadn't watched a ton of Bouchard, since he is unlikely to fall to the Flyers' range, and most of what I had seen just focused on his offense, not his defense, which can be a problem in using video to scout defensemen.

He definitely has offensive skill and intelligence, but I absolutely HATE what I see in this video. I mean, utterly despise it, and I'm extremely glad I was able to watch it. Utterly lazy, lackadaisical defense, both technique-wise and effort-wise. And repeatedly so.

He reads the ice well offensively, but he sure doesn't have the same knack on the other side of the puck.

Forget the Flyers drafting him. And he's definitely getting knocked down on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad