2018 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Why does there appear to be so many Russian prospects with mediocre - average skating ? I can't recall seeing this problem from the Russians in the past.

I think it is because of the changing standards: what was 'passable' now is 'bad' and what was 'fine' is now 'mediocre.'

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Why does there appear to be so many Russian prospects with mediocre - average skating ? I can't recall seeing this problem from the Russians in the past.

There weren't so many Russian prospects under scrutiny. During Soviet period only best of the best young players were known, and they mostly were great skaters, because if you weren't a great skater, you couln't make any Soviet national team.

Nowadays it's different. Some of the so called top Russian prospects consider top prospects, because they have big frame or good shot. It works on MHL/CHL level, so they get into the top prospects lists, but whether they actually become top players, it's still a question.

Reactions: Atas2000

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Obligatory thanks for amazing writeup! Can't figure out which kid out-of-nowhere gets scooped up by Yzerman this time around.

Reactions: Caser

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Obligatory thanks for amazing writeup! Can't figure out which kid out-of-nowhere gets scooped up by Yzerman this time around.

Last year Yzerman was drafting guys who were ready to cross the pond immediately, so maybe we should be looking at the guys, who didn't extend their contract yet and I think from my list Polodyan and Syomin are without a contract. Yugra guys are all signed, from Lada there is Lyakhov, but he is a total wildcard on my list. Speaking about Lada players, strange that noone noticed the absence of Kizimov on my list yet.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Got inspired by the Caps win in the Stanley Cup and finally added eliteprospects links to every player's name, so it would be more comfortable to look them up, especially if you see some new name.

Also about the inspiration, in order to get rid of that strange '44' number, I have decided to write a small update with notable omissions, which should turn it into a Top50. Probably will do it by the weekend.

Btw, also wanted to use this post to thank everyone for all the kind words and feedback. After the migration I usually use 'like' button for that, but a good ol' classic 'Thank You' is never a bad thing. :)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Expanding it to the Top50 with a small 'Notable omissions' part (also added it ot the OP):

6 Notable omissions
Well, I should've known myself better and that in the end that strange number of 44 prospects will annoy me and I will decide to expand it to the top 50. This small part is called 'Notable omissions' and it consists of players who didn't make the final rank because I decided that the negative stuff about them outweighs the positive, but still I must admit I had spent quite a lot of time scratching my head to make that decision.

45. RW/LW Semyon Kizimov (6'0", 174 lbs; Ladia Togliatti, MHL)
One of my most painful omissions: I really really liked Kizimov's skating and hard work and wanted to have him on the main list and I actually think that there is some draft stock too, but on the other hand I just couldn't ignore that too frequently he just turns into a Mr.Hyde when entering the attacking zone, as he wasn't too effective there. Additionally I wasn't impressed by his hands, although his shot is not bad.

46. LHD Alexander Romanov (6'1", 187 lbs; Moscow Krasnaya Armiya, MHL)
Some good physicality and shot outweighed by under par mobility and not a great defensive reliability — Zinetula Bilyaletdinov's grandson just got to get better than this.

47. RHD Artyom Minulin (6'2", 201 lbs; Swift Current Broncos, WHL; 1 year overage)
Size is there and puck skills too, but, to be honest, I kind of hoped that he will turn quite some heads this season after being passed in the last year's draft and, in my opinion, he just didn't.

48. C/LW Alexander Petunin (5'10", 163 lbs; Moscow Dynamo, KHL; 3 years overage)

I was a bit surprised to see Petunin posting some solid KHL numbers, as he was a pretty known player to me and I wasn't his biggest fan back in the days. To be honest, I still didn't became a fan of him even after another look this year, as while he got some skill and is pretty quick and sneaky I don't think there is enough natural talent for the NHL.

49. GK Daniil Isayev (6'0", 165 lbs; Yaroslavl Loko, MHL)
I've been waiting for some time for the Loko hockey school to produce a great goalie and looks like I will have to wait a bit more, as Isayev, despite good stats, doesn't look too confident and consistent, not to mention a very modest size.

50. RW/LW Yegor Filin (5'8", 152 lbs; Moscow Krasnaya Armiya, MHL; 1 year overage)

"Last, but not least" phrase fits here greatly — Filin has been very consistent and productive this year, also he is a very good and agile skater, got some fancy puck skills and isn't exactly weak despite his size — overall reminds me of Anatoliy Golyshev a bit (even by the way he looks). Still in terms of transferring his game to the pro level it's one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" cases.

I think finally that's all from me, waiting for the BobMckenzie's rankings now, those should be live on Sunday, iirc.

Btw, does anyone know why in most of the rankings Marchenko is being ranked ahead of Morozov? I had Morozov clearly ahead, that's why I'm wondering.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Was listening to ESPN's 31 thoughts podcast (Marek, Friedman and Cosentino) and heard there an intersting thing that for something like 4-7 teams the Russian factor is still a real thing and one of those teams just don't want to deal with Russians like at all.

Among other interesting news is that the only teams that didn't interview Denisenko were Sabres and Stars and I'm pretty surprised by the latter, as I thought Stars' scouts/management usually value some speed.

On Kravtsov, 25 teams interviewed him and apparently someone has him even in their Top5.

Reactions: Aerrol

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Russian factor absolutely still exists. Ottawa and Anaheim always avoid them. A lot of others are only willing to take late round fliers.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Was listening to ESPN's 31 thoughts podcast (Marek, Friedman and Cosentino) and heard there an intersting thing that for something like 4-7 teams the Russian factor is still a real thing and one of those teams just don't want to deal with Russians like at all.

Among other interesting news is that the only teams that didn't interview Denisenko were Sabres and Stars and I'm pretty surprised by the latter, as I thought Stars' scouts/management usually value some speed.

On Kravtsov, 25 teams interviewed him and apparently someone has him even in their Top5.
It is mildly surprising in my eyes. Teams should already see the pattern that only rare picks are hesitant to cross the pond altogether and should just be careful with kids in KHL powerhouse organizations.

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Id like to take a minute to add my thanks and appreciation for the time and effort you have put into this cesar. This is the thread i look forward to the most each year. Love the depth you go into with this.

Reactions: Caser and Leopain

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
It is mildly surprising in my eyes. Teams should already see the pattern that only rare picks are hesitant to cross the pond altogether and should just be careful with kids in KHL powerhouse organizations.

And actually it is a disputable question about the powerhouses: for example with SKA team's recent policy to sign some rather mediocre players to long-term deals I can think of younger players running away from there pretty fast and even in the context of this year's draft we can see that Syomin and Polodyan didn't extend their deals at least yet.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Since we started to talk about Russian factors, I decided to summarize current general managers' record since 2010, so we could get a better picture:

Note 1: 0 Russians selected by Lamoriello in NJD in 5 drafts; 5 Russians (3 out of Russia) selected in TML in 3 drafts.
Note 2: 3 players out of Russia selected by McPhee in 4 drafts in WSH.

TeamGMdrafts in charge since 2010Russian players drafteddrafted from Russian leagues
Carolina HurricanesDon Waddell---
Minnesota WildPaul Fenton---
New York IslandersLou Lamoriello (see note 1 above)---
Toronto Maple LeafsKyle Dubas---
Anaheim DucksBob Murray800
Arizona CoyotesJohn Chayka200
Boston BruinsDon Sweeney300
Buffalo SabresJason Botterill100
Calgary FlamesBrad Treliving410
Chicago BlackhawksStan Bowman844
Colorado AvalancheJoe Sakic342
Columbus Blue JacketsJarmo Kekalainen532
Dallas StarsJim Nill522
Detroit Red WingsKen Holland832
Edmonton OilersPeter Chiarelli331
Florida PanthersDale Tallon722
Los Angeles KingsRob Blake100
Montreal CanadiensMarc Bergevin520
Nashville PredatorsDavid Poile842
New Jersey DevilsRay Shero343
New York RangersJeff Gorton200
Ottawa SenatorsPierre Dorion200
Philadelphia FlyersRon Hextall464
Pittsburgh PenguinsJim Rutherford410
San Jose SharksDoug Wilson842
St. Louis BluesDoug Armstrong753
Tampa Bay LightningSteve Yzerman887
Vancouver CanucksJim Benning422
Vegas Golden KnightsGeorge McPhee (see note 2 above)110
Washington CapitalsBrian MacLellan421
Winnipeg JetsKevin Cheveldayoff722
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Since we started to talk about Russian factors, I decided to summarize current general managers' record since 2010, so we could get a better picture:

Note 1: 0 Russians selected by Lamoriello in NJD in 5 drafts; 5 Russians (4 out of Russia) selected in TML in 3 drafts.

TeamGMdrafts in charge since 2010Russian players drafteddrafted from Russian leagues
Dallas StarsJim Nill522
St. Louis BluesDoug Armstrong742
Vancouver CanucksJim Benning421
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Man, Yzerman sure does love him some Russians.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Yes, the math definitely indicates Hextall takes the most on a per year basis.

Yzerman has obviously been at the helm twice as long, so we'll have to see if Hextall keeps it up.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Note 1: 0 Russians selected by Lamoriello in NJD in 5 drafts; 5 Russians (3 out of Russia) selected in TML in 3 drafts.

Dallas StarsJim Nill522
St. Louis BluesDoug Armstrong742
Vancouver CanucksJim Benning422
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Is there a reason Gorton says 0-0? I believe we've drafted 3 since 2010.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
@Caser

How would you compare the ceilings of Kravstov and Denisenko?

Some time ago this kind of question could trigger quite a holywar, but now I think Kravtsov's ceiling is higher and there is some gap. Again, purely in terms of the ceiling.

Probably I should elaborate a bit: I think that despite being a half-year older, Kravtsov has actually more space under the ceiling to fill out comparing to Denisenko. Denisenko already posesses the raw tools and even some decent muscles and we just hope that all that will be polished, put in a toolbox and, if everything is going smoothly, would result in a 60+ point Top6 LW, who would just exhaust the opposing D guys with his energy and explosiveness even if he is not picking up those points. With Kravtsov it is a bit different: it's pretty hard to evaluate the ceiling as there are things that can be added that could and should notably amplify his game: for example, both lower and upper body strength is just not there at the moment and it is not that hard to add it when you're 6'3" (takes time and some work, of course). Adding some more intensity and maturity is harder, but again, it is about toolboxes, almost everyone has to get through that. So yeah, in the end I don't think it is too optimistic to consider his ceiling at around 70+ points and the "too optimistic" mode can get the evaluation even higher.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Is there a reason Gorton says 0-0? I believe we've drafted 3 since 2010.

Officially Gorton has been NYR GM since July, 2015, which would mean that so far he was in charge of 2016 and 2017 drafts and NYR didn't pick any Russians there. Obviously there is no reason to talk about the 'Russian factor" in this case, as there are enough Russians in the NYR system and organization.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad