2018 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Hard to interpret these results when data is so miniscule, but I guess we can once again confirm that Yzerman is a clear outlier in the league.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Hard to interpret these results when data is so miniscule, but I guess we can once again confirm that Yzerman is a clear outlier in the league.

Yeah, not easy, but still I think we can make something out of it, for example, we can more or less clearly identify teams/managers that are active in the Russian market: Lightning, Flyers, Avalanche, Devils, Oilers (although looks like they prefer NA based guys), Predators. Also I'd mention Blackhawks, who are very active in Russian leagues. Possibly Vegas deserves a mention too due to GMGM's history with Russians in Washington. Another mention goes to Blues, they definitely know how to benefit from the factor.

On the other hand, also we can see some Russian factor teams/managers:

* Ducks - no comments.
* Senators - while Dorion has been in charge for only 2 drafts, he was an assistant for quite some time before and Sens also didn't select anyone then.
* Bruins - similary to Dorion, Sweeney was there as an assistant before his drafts and as a result Bruins didn't draft Russians for 6 years total now.
* Flames - if we add into consideration Treliving's time as an assistant GM at the Coyotes, it doesn't look too good.
* Penguins - Rutherford didn't draft Russians in Carolina (signed Tolchinsky though) and so far spent only a 7th round pick on Pavlychev.
* Canadiens - Bergevin didn't draft a player from a Russian league in 5 drafts now.
* Kings? Canucks? - just a suspicion, but I had an impression that they might be a bit down on Russians after recent lack of success. Maybe Jets can be mentioned here too: only 2 Russian picks in 7 years is kind of a low rate and also considering the lack of success with them.

Lou Lamoriello's case has to be viewed separately: his track record tells me that he heavily relies on his scouting staff: compare 0 Russians since 2010 with NJD to the time with Mark Hunter in Toronto.

Last edited:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Not all of this is GMs though.

I'm fairly sure that there are other factors involved when it comes to Sens.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
svechnikov,Kravtsov ,Denisenko ,AA, Marchenko . Could be 5 Russians go first round , don't remember when this happened before

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
svechnikov,Kravtsov ,Denisenko ,AA, Marchenko . Could be 5 Russians go first round , don't remember when this happened before
I personnaly have Kravtsov and maybe Denisenko very late in the first at best. Marchenko is a 2nd rounder at best, 3rd would not surprise me. I don't get the hype about Alexeev either.

So I couldn't care less about such records. Truth is there is only one undisputed future star out of Russia in this draft.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Bob McKenzie's scout poll have been released.

#2 Svechnikov; #12 Kravtsov; #15 Denisenko; #30 Alexeyev - no big surprises here
#44 Marchenko; #67 Morozov - here I hardly understand why it is not the other way, I mean, what asset does Marchenko posseses that Morozov doesn't?
#83 Romanov - totally can't understand that, probably my biggest disagreement with Bob's scout polls in all the time I've been following the draft.
#87 Iskhakov- sounds legit to me, but yes, as I mentioned in the write-up I'd take him higher.

No Khovanov or Galenyuk in the Top 93.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Was asking around and thinking about the Romanov and Marchenko/Morozov questions (since I wouldn't be able to get some sleep until I find out anyway) and sounds like the answer might be, as usual for me, skating.

Romanov is not very dynamic and intense and that might give an impression that his skating is a bit subpar, but looking at the skating stride/technique it likely is not the case. So sounds like scouts are seeing in him something similar to what I see in Zhuravlyov. Still it's very hard for me to understand how a mostly #5-#6 D on the U18 NT is ranked that high, I guess WJAC is the most important tournament now in terms of draft stock.

With Morozov sounds like it might be opposite to Romanov's case: with his dynamic playing style I might have missed some limitations in his skating comparing to which Marchenko's acceleration issues are no big deal. Still it doesn't look like he would be slow, but Marchenko's skating technique in combination with the size just takes him to another level. Although while I feel he might be underrated by me, I still like Iskhakov (smarts and hands) and Morozov (two-way game) too much, can't help it.

Khovanov's absence is a bit strange, my guess would be that he wasn't that good at the Combine, for example to me it is suspicious how he gained so much weight, but that is just a blind guess. Galenyuk is not a huge surprise, he didn't have a strong second half of the season.

Obviously those scout pollings are very approximate (not to mention that it looks like those don't include overagers... upd: my bad, it does, still draft history shows that it is hard to apply this list to them), but at least we can get an idea of what to expect in a couple of days.

Last edited:

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
They include overagers, Perunovich is listed.

Your thoughts on Kovalenko not listed?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
They include overagers, Perunovich is listed.

Your thoughts on Kovalenko not listed?

Yeah, he is there, also Durzi, probably somebody else, so looks like I'm wrong, but still it's hard to apply this list to overagers (see examples of Korshkov, Volkov, Altybarmakyan - I don't think they appeared on any poll list, still they were picked pretty high).

Totally no surprise on Kovalenko, he didn't make my 'Top Guns' part for a reason: he lacks exposure (yeah, not all teams are scouting the MHL or even Sochi tournament), also he isn't exactly great in terms of both size (5'10", even though he is not weak) and skating (not slow, but isn't exactly a high-speed sprinter like Denisenko). Yet I totally like him.

Reactions: Leopain

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Romanov is not very dynamic and intense and that might give an impression that his skating is a bit subpar, but looking at the skating stride/technique it likely is not the case. So sounds like scouts are seeing in him something similar to what I see in Zhuravlyov. Still it's very hard for me to understand how a mostly #5-#6 D on the U18 NT is ranked that high, I guess WJAC is the most important tournament now in terms of draft stock.

I thought I remember seeing him on lineup sheets for Russia on the top pair... Was that just for the WJAC? Or am I losing my mind... I feel like he slotted high for Russia at least a few times.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I thought I remember seeing him on lineup sheets for Russia on the top pair... Was that just for the WJAC? Or am I losing my mind... I feel like he slotted high for Russia at least a few times.

At the 5 Nations in February he was at the first pairing with Okhotyuk. Mostly the first pairing was Galenyuk-Okhotyuk (at the start of the season) or Galenyuk-Zhuravlyov (U18 WJC), Misyul-Malyshev were a stable second pairing. At the U18 WJC Romanov was playing with Okhotyuk at the 3rd pairing.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
In case anyone is too bored waiting for the draft to start, I have tried to make a Top20 of brightest moments of the season for draft eligible Russian prospects and collected them in my twitter page, you can see those as latest 20 tweets on the main page there.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Quite an interesting first round:

Svechnikov at 2nd to Carolina - no surprises, obviously.

Kravtsov at 9th to NYR is kind of a surprise, but can be explained, as they are in the rebuilding mode and therefore should aim for the upside, not for the safe guys.

Denisenko at 15th to Florida is kind of as expected: if I understood correctly, they needed to add some attacking boost to their prospect pipeline and obviously they didn't mind to ride their recent success with Russian players.

And for Alexeyev going to Washington at 31st, here it was hard to predict anything, but I'm just glad he did.

Looking forward to the day 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->