2018 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I had a lot of headache about him recently, as I had to review my opinion about him. So currently my opinion about him being subpar and not too reliable in the D zone still stays, but looks like there might be some offensive upside due to skating, shot and physicality.

Exactly. Does that sound like a top half 2nd rounder?

I think it is slightly different: they picked almost everyone who had some attacking upside, but if you're a two-way guy or a shutdown D - well, sorry, the Russian factor for you got even worse.

With that being said it is hard for me to understand how do you pick Semykin over Galenyuk/Malyshev/Dronov and Manukyan over Polodyan.

That's what I mean. There are those annual wtf picks by NHL scouts that makes me believe they have very limited knowledge on Russians. Dronov's omission being outright laughable.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
These first year guys never stick, right?

Kotkov should have a good chance at getting a contract to join Shvyryov, Boikov (and hopefully Smirnov) on the Avs' AHL affiliate just 45 min up the road from the senior club. They might try to get him to take an AHL deal if his skating doesn't improve enough, but it wouldn't be a surprise if he won an ELC.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Minnesota is getting really smart with their Russian picks. Sokolov and Khovanov were considered at one point 1st round talents. Kaprizov is one of the top prospects in the world and was picked 5th. Interested to see how they develop.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Minnesota is getting really smart with their Russian picks. Sokolov and Khovanov were considered at one point 1st round talents. Kaprizov is one of the top prospects in the world and was picked 5th. Interested to see how they develop.

I guess they didn't listen to Michael Russo's conspiracies about Putin holding Kaprizov in Russia at gunpoint.

Reactions: Acallabeth

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sharks invited Kotkov to the dev camp and as soon it has started, they signed him. Talking about 7 rounds not being enough for teams.

Wonder if the avs sniffing around him made the Sharks feel like they needed to get him signed ASAP or if they just really liked him, despite the work he needs on his skating.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Wonder if the avs sniffing around him made the Sharks feel like they needed to get him signed ASAP or if they just really liked him, despite the work he needs on his skating.

Actually that's what I also thought of, as Sharks signed Kotkov surprisingly fast, I think dev camp wasn't even over at that point. I mean, usually you would expect most signings to be complete around the end of the main camp with dev camp being just an intro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad