2018 NHL Draft Prospects

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Svechnikov is a winger. And yes, he's absolutely special and deserves to be up there.

He played wing against Sweden, but has all the tools to be a center. I would be surprised if whoever gets him don't try to play him at center. Same with Tkachuk. But it of course also depends on where he goes. A lot/most teams would try to mold Pulju into a center but for EDM that's probably not in the plans. Depends a bit on what style a team plays too.

In juniors you might want to give these guys a more free role. But so many teams are starving for that center with top ability. I've not seen that much of Tkachuck, has he never played center? Think he could do really well there.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Svechnikov is a winger. And yes, he's absolutely special and deserves to be up there.

Sure, never said anything else, but as of today -- is he close to Dahlin? No, he just isn't. AINEC. There are always special players in any draft, and Sveshnikov is one of them. But he is not "special" for a potential top 3 pick. Is Dahlin? He is today. Will he be in 12 months? Will Sveshnikov be in 12 months? That could change a lot. Much more than many are aware of. But Dahlins play as a 16 y/o is remarkable.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sure, never said anything else, but as of today -- is he close to Dahlin? No, he just isn't. AINEC. There are always special players in any draft, and Sveshnikov is one of them. But he is not "special" for a potential top 3 pick. Is Dahlin? He is today. Will he be in 12 months? Will Sveshnikov be in 12 months? That could change a lot. Much more than many are aware of. But Dahlins play as a 16 y/o is remarkable.

I'm pretty sure most if not all people have Svechnikov penciled in for a top 3 pick at this point.

maaran

Apr 17, 2017
Canada

Svechnikov had one of the best 16-17 year old ushl seasons ever.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Svechnikov will be picked top 3 if not top 2

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
It smells like the Swedes are using every opportunity to get this player picked #1. A source of pride. He hardly played in the WJ's. He is great player but the Swedish marketing team is on the case to make him greater than he is. Like Veleno with exceptional status in the Q. Not right.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
It smells like the Swedes are using every opportunity to get this player picked #1. A source of pride. He hardly played in the WJ's. He is great player but the Swedish marketing team is on the case to make him greater than he is. Like Veleno with exceptional status in the Q. Not right.

It isn't right, god damn it. He's so overrated. He should go about 5-10 at best. Preferably wherever Detroit ends up.

Tell your GMs, tell your scouts, tell your coaches.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm

Watching him play is enough, dont need no "marketing".

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Svechnikov had one of the best 16-17 year old ushl seasons ever.

While Svech was great this year, a guy like Kyle connor did have better numbers in his draft-1 season than Svechnikov, so he still has work to do to prove he will be a top 2 pick for sure, but so far he absolutely is the best forward in the draft.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
While Svech was great this year, a guy like Kyle connor did have better numbers in his draft-1 season than Svechnikov, so he still has work to do to prove he will be a top 2 pick for sure, but so far he absolutely is the best forward in the draft.
while svechnikov is a bit overhyped here, i'm confused. wasn't svechnikov like 9 month younger in his draft -1 season? wasn't it the first season for svechnikov and the second for Connor in the ushl (and in a new country in svechnikov's case)? what an absurd comparison.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
while svechnikov is a bit overhyped here, i'm confused. wasn't svechnikov like 9 month younger in his draft -1 season? wasn't it the first season for svechnikov and the second for Connor in the ushl (and in a new country in svechnikov's case)? what an absurd comparison.

All of that is true and I'm not saying Connor was the better prospect at all. Just saying that Svechnkov is not out of the ordinary for a guy expected to battle for the first overall. If he had done less than that It would have been disappointing.

AirJordan

May 23, 2013

Not to mention that svechnikov dominated every single international tournament his age group in which he participated, something connor has never done. But the stupidest statement is still he is not "special" enough to go top 3:laugh: who is then? Dahlin, dahlin and dahlin for the top 3? And i thought the finne were annoying last year...

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Looks like the top 2 guys are Dahlin and Svechnikov for this draft. Will be interesting to see how they develop during their draft yrs. and if someone else steps up.

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
canucks better win a top 3 lottery next year.

one of dahlin, svechnikov, veleno pls

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
I just hope that Wings are even worse next year. Both Svechnikovs would be a great fit in the red and white and a franchise can never have enough Swedish elite defensemen

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Merkley looks interesting. I wonder if he has an outside chance at going top 2.

Tonnes of upside there. A big year as an offensive defencemen of his calibre could really thrust him up there. Looks to be a great year for defencemen so far.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Merkley looks interesting. I wonder if he has an outside chance at going top 2.
I doubt it without a massive growth spurt or a change in approach. He doesn't compete enough and can give up on plays when he causes turnovers. I'd be amazed if he developed in a way where anyone considers him over Dahlin and Svechnikov. I actually think he might have trouble being a top 6 or 7 defender in this draft. Strong arguments for Dahlin, Ty Smith, MacIssac, Samuelsson, Wilde and Jet Woo over him at the moment.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Dahlin clear cut #1. Russian factor. Yes I'm bitter about Tryamkin.

I believe both Svechnikov brothers came over to NA early, and even there parents have moved to NA to live with them. These 2 are not going to feel "home sick" and bolt back too Russia.

Tryamkin's wife stayed in Russia, so Nikita was basically on his own. Furthermore, he played exclusively in Russia/the KHL, so he has deep ties too Russia.

Fear not the "Russian factor" with the Svechnikov's.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
I think Tkachuk will raise a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if he started to challenge for a top spot too. Teams are desperate for that top Center, and Tkachuck has that potential.

I've seen a lot of both Sveshnikov and Dahlin, and with all due respect, I don't think anyone who watches a lot of hockey and have seen both of them a lot would have Sveahnikov ahead at this point. Some will always try to distinguish themselves and say whatever, but Sveshnikov looks like a very very good young center. But nothing special for a top 3-5 ranked player. Rasmus Dahlin -- at the age of 16 -- is probably the most impressive offensively talented D anyone have seen for basically 2-3 decades. The other day he became the youngest player for the men's Swedish national team in 57 years.

With that said, everyone knows that a ton can happen in the coming 14 months when it comes to 17 y/o hockey player. These kids are growing so much. Some kids may be finished growing when they are 16, others when they are 22-23.

how does he compare to erik karlsson?

dahlin obviously.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

That's meaningless. Connor is a September birthday. At 16 (Svechnikov's age) he had 41 points in 62 games.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

You talk a lot for someone who doesn't even know which position Svechnikov plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad