GDT: 2018 NHL Draft: Picks in Rounds 2, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Also according to McGuire, and I am paraphrasing, he is not sure the Penguins are prepared to trade Kessel. However, there are other players Pittsburgh is prepared to trade. If they can get a first-round pick back, they would make the move.

Sounds like Letang and Brassard to me. Maybe Maatta. I don't think anyone believes you can get a first rounder for Rust.

FYI, I think the issue with Kessel is NOT about getting good offers. As a wise man told me, the Kessel deal was JR's showcase trade. IF he trades Kessel now, the return will need to validate that original move from JR's perspective.

Letang info has been a total blackout, but the Phil chatter has been a perfect decoy, no?

Brass? Yeah, I could see that too IF they have their doubts about the fit. 3M for 1 year of Brassard? Too good a deal for too many teams out there. JR will get more than what he paid for Brass if he goes that way.

Maatta would surprise a little, notwithstanding what I may think of him, if only because everyone says they love him.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Leave Krissy alone :cry:

Imagine Mrs Scandale going into labor as a Letang trade is announced . . .

elmos-nuke.jpg

cc: @Clare2904

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
FYI, I think the issue with Kessel is NOT about getting good offers. As a wise man told me, the Kessel deal was JR's showcase trade. IF he trades Kessel now, the return will need to validate that original move from JR's perspective.

Letang info has been a total blackout, but the Phil chatter has been a perfect decoy, no?

Brass? Yeah, I could see that too IF they have their doubts about the fit. 3M for 1 year of Brassard? Too good a deal for too many teams out there. JR will get more than what he paid for Brass if he goes that way.

Maatta would surprise a little, notwithstanding what I may think of him, if only because everyone says they love him.

Yeah I agree. I don't think Maatta belongs in this discussion but I just threw him in there for the hell of it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Random aside, Kessel was spotted in Vegas for the Wold Series of Poker. After day 1, he ranked 22nd of 1248 people. Here's a picture of him looking depressed he doesn't have any hot dogs.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
If they're going to target any wingers, please try and get guys who are at the very least average-sized. This team gets worked far too easily along the walls. We need guys who can come away with the puck at least 50/50. Most of the team is on the losing side of 70/30.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR has lots of time on his hands so man work it baby. Sheary and Hunwick gone would make this draft.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kidding aside, trading Letang without getting another #1 D would be pretty dumb.

I understand why we would like to move on, but Letang is still a top D in this league, we have to replace that if we want to win more Cups.

That's fair, and I agree.

Failing that, replace Letang and Ruh in the aggregate.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
The only pivot that makes sense to be with Kessel is one that moves him out along with a D man and returns Pacioretty/Skinner with a better D man. Lets say it's Patches.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Patchioretty - Malkin - Rust
Hagelin - Brassard - Sprong
ZAR - Sheahan - Sheary/Simon/Kuhnhackl

If we have that F lineup with an improved D core, and the net change in picks/prospects is about even, I could live with that. Let Sprong set up shop in the Ovie spot on the PP in place of Kessel.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I feel like trading Brassard now would be less a worry about fit, more a reversal of philosophy that they need a 3C that good. You could still get a good return for him in season if the fit wasn't right surely?

That or something's got centre fever and is gonna go mad.

There is a centre who will go lower than 3 isn’t there. Can’t remember who the top rated centre is though. Maybe that’s who they want.

Finnish guy whose name begins with a K. Not sure anyone else would be taking him in the top 5.

- because we can create cap space for other moves
- because our prospect pool is a barren wasteland
- because it's a deep draft in Round 1 this year

Why indeed.

And there's a decent chance a 1st rounder can be NHL ready in a year, which would be a nice wee boost to our window.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
If we aren't going to have wingers to play with Brass at the start of the year, then trade him imo

Sheary - Sheahan will produce as much as Sheary - Brassard

A lot of contending teams would pay a price for him and his reduced cap hit.

Reactions: EightyOne

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
We don't have to get a #1 D back for Letang. Get the best draft pick available and clear the books. Then you start working on other deals to improve the defense. Hunwick still has to go. Sheary is trade bait. Rust could go. Simon has no contract. And then there's Brassard.

The first salvo is trading Letang. Then we can start working on fixing the defense. Without a Letang trade, the D can't get fixed.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If we aren't going to have wingers to play with Brass at the start of the year, then trade him imo

Sheary - Sheahan will produce as much as Sheary - Brassard

A lot of contending teams would pay a price for him and his reduced cap hit.

What's behind door #3? No Sheary?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
We don't have to get a #1 D back for Letang. Get the best draft pick available and clear the books. Then you start working on other deals to improve the defense. Hunwick still has to go. Sheary is trade bait. Rust could go. Simon has no contract. And then there's Brassard.

The first salvo is trading Letang. Then we can start working on fixing the defense. Without a Letang trade, the D can't get fixed.

f*** draft picks. Sid and Geno are 30+, go for more Cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad