Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Smartest man in the room syndrome as usual. Hearing great things about Wahlstrom so far from Islanders reporters. The history of "Gordie's Guy" is not exactly great.

Yeah, and up to this point it was the complete opposite way around. Wahlstrom was looking like a bust who dropped out of college, while Kravtsov was the one leading his KHL team in everything.

It's almost as if it's way too early to make a call on who "won"

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Yeah, and up to this point it was the complete opposite way around. Wahlstrom was looking like a bust who dropped out of college, while Kravtsov was the one leading his KHL team in everything.

It's almost as if it's way too early to make a call on who "won"

I think it's a little bit better to be showing progress than to be moping.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yikes. I’m sure the front office will have a word with the HFD coaching staff very quickly to remind them their job is to develop our top prospects.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I will take it with a (big) grain of salt at this moment but I need official "denouncement" of this rumor from the player himself and / or New York Rangers. Staying silent, like past this weekend for instance, would only confirm that rumor is (largely) true.

A few of thought if this is indeed a true development:

1. It would mean that Gorton, Quinn and Co thought Kravtsov would not be ready to join NYR at any point this year. Also, after experiencing AHL Kravtsov might change his attitude and decide to stay more than just one year (two years?) to come back a lot more mature.
2. Please don't put this development whole on Kravtsov or front office. The desire to come to NA was MUTUAL.
3. Kravtsov might not be coming back to Traktor - could be moved for a fee to a richer club, read SKA, CSKA, or just a tier below (Dinamo, Auto, AK Bars or Avangard).

Reactions: lucky13

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
The fact that this is even being rumored is absurd.

Not going to get on Kravtsov, because I don’t know what’s going on his head. This is Micky Mouse management from the Rangers, however. They’ve done an awful job handling our top prospects the past few years - complete bush league.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’ll believe it when I see it.
This cannot be true. And if he is the type kid who pouts and wants to take his ball and go home if things don't go his way, then not sure about him as a prospect to begin with.

He needs to look at Chytil and see what it takes to even make it to the conversation.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
His game isn't ready for the NA game. I'd rather he stay in NA and work on that.

We'll see.

Agree.

As foolish as it is to go into hysterics about whether or not he's a good prospect or the right draft choice, it's also foolish to blindly defend the KHL at every turn.
Would it kill his career to go back to the KHL? No, he'd probably be fine, I'm sure he can do more developing there, but this has basically come down to a kid who was pretty close to making the NHL team being sent down to the AHL to work on adjusting his game to the NA style and his coach publicly praising him at times and saying that players sent down could certainly quickly earn their way back up to the NHL. If Kravtsov wants to play in the NHL then his best choice is to spend some time in the AHL right now, do what the coaches ask of him, and earn a ticket back up to the NHL. There will be PLENTY of chances to do that and if he was really that close then he has a foot in the door already. Going back to the KHL at this point isn't a good look for him and I doubt it would ingratiate him to the Rangers.
3 months from now if he's struggling with the AHL and American life? Sure, let him go back. I can't see how that wouldn't be fair for both sides. 4 games into the season when the coach publicly stated you could easily be back up in the NHL in short order? Bad time to go back.

It's not about rink size it's about adjusting to a different style of play and pace of the game and putting in some work in the AHL is the best way to do that.

I'm sure the kid is disappointed, but put in some work, try to earn that callup, and if things aren't going well down the road a bit then maybe it's better for both sides if he can go back for the rest of the year.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
My initial reaction is I don't think he will leave to go back to the KHL, but I (begrudgingly) understand if he does. Player development is not one size fits all. So if he decides that going to the KHL is best for him, he has every right to use the EAC he negotiated for.

That said, I would guess if he does leave it would not reflect great on his attitude to the front office. Which is why I wouldn't do it if I were him. His other buddies are in the same boat down in Hartford, he should just stick it out.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Yikes. I’m sure the front office will have a word with the HFD coaching staff very quickly to remind them their job is to develop our top prospects.

1) they already talk all the time...there is literally zero chance that he was scratched in the 2nd game without drury and gorton being aware of the reasoning
2) your assumption that developing top prospects just means given them as much ice time as possible is false...yes the kids need to play but that is a huge oversimplification given that we don't know the reason he was scratched, what he was told, etc.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Eronko and Brooks with conflicting reports on the Kravtsov saga.

Ideal would be if both the Rangers and Kravtsov come out and say they're committed to getting him back in the NHL this season. While I think the KHL is a better league than the AHL, I'm not convinced the KHL is going develop the aspects of his game that the Rangers want.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I will take it with a (big) grain of salt at this moment but I need official "denouncement" of this rumor from the player himself and / or New York Rangers. Staying silent, like past this weekend for instance, would only confirm that rumor is (largely) true.

A few of thought if this is indeed a true development:

1. It would mean that Gorton, Quinn and Co thought Kravtsov would not be ready to join NYR at any point this year. Also, after experiencing AHL Kravtsov might change his attitude and decide to stay more than just one year (two years?) to come back a lot more mature.
2. Please don't put this development whole on Kravtsov or front office. The desire to come to NA was MUTUAL.
3. Kravtsov might not be coming back to Traktor - could be moved for a fee to a richer club, read SKA, CSKA, or just a tier below (Dinamo, Auto, AK Bars or Avangard).

Vince said he reached out to Kravtsov's agent for an update...but don't hold your breath on getting an update from the rangers. IMO there is little chance they discuss it if its true until a decision is made. and there is literally no chance they will acknowledge a random rumor if there is nothing to it...are they now supposed to comment on every false thing said on twitter?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
In no way can it be taken as a positive.

That being said, had he stayed in Russia this season initially, it wouldn't have been overly perceived as a negative. Leaving to go back, though, is.

perception and reality are often 2 completely different things...yes it will look bad and fans will freak out but that has nothing to do with whether or not its actually a good decision for him.

I personally think he needs to stay in hartford and earn his way back to NY cause I have little doubt he'll be in the NHL this year...but whether or not fans overreact and cry about it says little about whether or not its the right move

Reactions: jas

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
1) they already talk all the time...there is literally zero chance that he was scratched in the 2nd game without drury and gorton being aware of the reasoning
2) your assumption that developing top prospects just means given them as much ice time as possible is false...yes the kids need to play but that is a huge oversimplification given that we don't know the reason he was scratched, what he was told, etc.

that’s quite the assumption you made in 2 that I don’t believe at all. Actually 1 as well.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Eronko and Brooks with conflicting reports on the Kravtsov saga.

Ideal would be if both the Rangers and Kravtsov come out and say they're committed to getting him back in the NHL this season. While I think the KHL is a better league than the AHL, I'm not convinced the KHL is going develop the aspects of his game that the Rangers want.
What did brooks say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad