Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
At this point it’s pretty obvious that as a younger prospect Buchnevich didn’t put much (or enough) stock in his off-ice and off-season preparation for the NHL. It is called maturity issues, not uncommon among prospects of all backgrounds. But making wide generalizations about a whole league based on maturity issues of one prospect is on you. But hey try rolling your eyes a bit harder because you know...

You know, I am not even sure about this.

Like when Buch played in the WJC, did he look like kid in worse shape than the rest? He was one of the best players there, very strong on the puck. Moved well.

He grew a little and needed to add weight in the NHL.

I also think that when it comes to KHL players — any — issues they might have is attributed to the KHL. Like we called out Howden and Lemieux too, nobody blamed the CHL leagues for them being out of shape.

We should also remember the type of player we are talking about. Everyone are different, have different strengths. Should we compare Kravtsov and Buch with Boo Nieves and co? Or more like with Oliver Wahlstrom or Johnny Hockey and those types? Like if Johnny Hockey went to Russia and played, would it be fair to label the US hockey system as weak because he is built like a shrimp?

We call out Kravy because he tries to do too much with the puck. Like JT Miller did the same, and he was used to the NA game.

Ultimately, I just think we are over exaggerating a bit. Jumping to conclusions. JMHO.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Like when Buch played in the WJC, did he look like kid in worse shape than the rest? He was one of the best players there, very strong on the puck. Moved well.

I also think that when it comes to KHL players — any — issues they might have is attributed to the KHL. Like we called out Howden and Lemieux too, nobody blamed the CHL leagues for them being out of shape.

We should also remember the type of player we are talking about. Everyone are different, have different strengths. Should we compare Kravtsov and Buch with Boo Nieves and co? Or more like with Oliver Wahlstrom or Johnny Hockey and those types? Like if Johnny Hockey went to Russia and played, would it be fair to label the US hockey system as weak because he is built like a shrimp?

We call out Kravy because he tries to do too much with the puck. Like JT Miller did the same, and he was used to the NA game.

Ultimately, I just think we are over exaggerating a bit. Jumping to conclusions. JMHO.

Completely agree. Also need to remember that Buchnevich came over after suffering from an injury in the later part of his last KHL season that also would have an impact on his offseason preparation that year (not saying it was the main reason for his physical issues but it was a contributing factor). It would be a bit of an analogy to say Lias' issues in his D+1 season due to travel were due to his development in the SHL.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Completely agree. Also need to remember that Buchnevich came over after suffering from an injury in the later part of his last KHL season that also would have an impact on his offseason preparation that year (not saying it was the main reason for his physical issues but it was a contributing factor). It would be a bit of an analogy to say Lias' issues in his D+1 season due to travel were due to his development in the SHL.
You know me, I am not the biggest fan of the way things are done in the KHL. However, I wouldn't ever say that it's "bad" at preparing players for the NHL; at least not any more so than any of the other non-North American leagues. It's obvious that the KHL, SHL, Liiga, NLA, etc., all play the game a bit differently than the NHL. So of course players coming from those leagues have to make certain adjustments that their counterparts in the CHL, NCAA, and AHL don't have to make. At the same time, the other leagues have their advantages, as well. I don't know why some people always want to make it a fight over leagues. :laugh:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

If there’s a chance to dump on the KHL, for any reason, a lot of people will come out of the woodwork.

However you see the same sentiment on forums in Russia when a NHLer fails to live up to expectation in the KHL, or Russians come back worse after a stint in the NHL.
“What’s wrong with the NHL? What do they teach over there? This guy sucks.”

Same old same old.

Last edited:
Reactions: kovazub94 and Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You know me, I am not the biggest fan of the way things are done in the KHL. However, I wouldn't ever say that it's "bad" at preparing players for the NHL; at least not any more so than any of the other non-North American leagues. It's obvious that the KHL, SHL, Liiga, NLA, etc., all play the game a bit differently than the NHL. So of course players coming from those leagues have to make certain adjustments that their counterparts in the CHL, NCAA, and AHL don't have to make. At the same time, the other leagues have their advantages, as well. I don't know why some people always want to make it a fight over leagues. :laugh:

I agree, and there are pros and cons with all places for sure, I don’t think anything that is said is like baseless, but we are making a too big deal of it.

Kravy is too years away from his draft year. Many highly touted kids has issues at that age — because if you are 20 y/o, you are not going to have had the time to get into pro game NHL shape all over the board, unless you are very unique not only in terms of talent but in terms of consistency etc. It’s not like these guys have unique problems. They are common.

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny
casey-mittelstadt.jpg

Not sure, but I bet this guy played in the KHL.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

yeah this whole thing is pretty lol worthy at the moment.

I'm a huge Kravtsov as a prospect supporter but if it takes him a few weeks to get going in the AHL and earn his coaches trust that's fine. If this all is still happening in November I'll be more concerned but let's give the kid some time and the coaches some time.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Does anyone have some of Kravtsov workout videos from his Traktor days, asking for a friend?

It's a compilation of him not getting fries to go with his burgers. Learned it from good ol Mario. it actually would be cool to see how different teams train their prospects/young guns in each league or even what the difference is bt a team like Traktor and SKA. I bring up SKA bc they're considered the top dog and bc we've had a few prospects go through there recently.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
SKA’s VK page has some off-ice workout photos. Looks like standard hockey strength training, but I’m hardly an expert.
But if what Gilbert Brule said is correct and they’re working out daily plus doing on ice two-a-days for two months, I can understand why guys going over there would want to skip out on training camp. That’s insane.

СКА в Новогорске. День второй (16..
СКА в Финляндии. День второй (11...
СКА в Новогорске. День третий (17..

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
It's a compilation of him not getting fries to go with his burgers. Learned it from good ol Mario. it actually would be cool to see how different teams train their prospects/young guns in each league or even what the difference is bt a team like Traktor and SKA. I bring up SKA bc they're considered the top dog and bc we've had a few prospects go through there recently.

Teams and leagues play a part, but at the end of the day fitness is the responsibility of the player; and no 2 players are alike in terms of preference and what suits him.

Like Kravtsov choosing to spend the summer in NY to get a jump start on NHL fitness; meanwhile Provorov recently said he works out in Yaroslavl because he prefers his youth team trainers over training in Philadelphia. Each to their own.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
SKA’s VK page has some off-ice workout photos. Looks like standard hockey strength training, but I’m hardly an expert.
But if what Gilbert Brule said is correct and they’re working out daily plus doing on ice two-a-days for two months, I can understand why guys going over there would want to skip out on training camp. That’s insane.

СКА в Новогорске. День второй (16..
СКА в Финляндии. День второй (11...
СКА в Новогорске. День третий (17..

Great info but idk about insane.

High school football programs have done month long+ training camps with two or even three a days in blistering summer heat. These guys are paid hundreds of thousands if not millions. It's intense stuff but not insane.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
High school football is run by insane man children who have no clue what they’re doing

Reactions: Kendo

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Great info but idk about insane.

High school football programs have done month long+ training camps with two or even three a days in blistering summer heat. These guys are paid hundreds of thousands if not millions. It's intense stuff but not insane.

Depending on the state, high school athletes are only allowed 2-5 practice hours a day. But that’s besides the point.
I was just reiterating what NHL'ers who spent time in Russia apparently described training camp as when interviewed on Spittin Chiclets.
Don’t shoot the messenger.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Kravtsov needs to stay in north america if he is serious about an NHL career. This is really concerning, he has done all he can to prepare in the KHL he needs to be here.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kravtsov needs to stay in north america if he is serious about an NHL career. This is really concerning, he has done all he can to prepare in the KHL he needs to be here.

This is not true. Kravtsov has room for improvement in the KHL. I've said it all year. He has not outgrown the KHL, like Tarasenko and Kuznetsov when they came over. Rangers jumped the gun. This organization has 0 patience when it comes to developing their prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad