Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Huge differences in a) the existence of a transfer agreement and b) the quality of the team vis a vis the rest of the league in which it plays.
But maybe the familiarity of being in your home country developing vs him not being ready to make the jump to the NHL? IDK... Lets just hope he gets back on track. I don't understand if it is an attitude thing. Shesty and VK must have known that it was gonna be greater than 50/50 chance they would be starting in Hartford and not with the big club.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Rangers as I thought are playing a dangerous game. They keep knocking down the youngster, he will leave....

Assigning him to Hartford they took over 800k from his paycheck. They did that to me , my bags would be packed.

"It’s too early to read too much into the situation in Hartford, but the Rangers have to know that Kravtsov has a European Assignment Clause in his contract and at any point could return to the KHL to play for Traktor (who retained his KHL rights)."

What’s going on with Kravtsov, a healthy scratch in Hartford?

Keep knocking down the youngster? What?

You don't get special treatment for being the 9th overall pick. You have to play the game like everyone else and I am sure they don't want him developing/continuing with any bad habits he might have. It is easier for him to learn playing in the AHL than getting 7 minutes a night in the NHL.

If Kravtsov is cowardly enough to leave because he was scratched from one AHL game then good riddance. It tells me he doesn't have the drive or mental strength at this time to be the player the Rangers need him to be.

I don't think they are playing a dangerous game at all. I think they are doing exactly what they need to be doing, not coddling the kid. I would be surprised if Kravstov left, even if he spent the entire season in the AHL.

It was all to make the team. And he didn't. There is no benefit to playing in the AHL. No Pay, no extra time on ice, cause they have the same amount of games early on. And then he gets benched, most probably because he can't smile about his situation.

I found it weird that he didn't smile after that goal in preseason. Maybe he already knew his fate? One thing is for sure, this is not how you build confidence in a young player who has other options.

You're joking right? Do you know how many successful NHLers have started in the AHL?

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
No one is talking about coddling. But when you have special circumstances the approach can't be the same. We all saw the talent he has. And we all heard the high praise from the coaches. You don't want to place a promising talent in a position where you might force his hand. And IMO, sending him down, and scratching him after one game, is coming pretty close to backfiring and not getting the result you want.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Keep knocking down the youngster? What?

You don't get special treatment for being the 9th overall pick. You have to play the game like everyone else and I am sure they don't want him developing/continuing with any bad habits he might have. It is easier for him to learn playing in the AHL than getting 7 minutes a night in the NHL.

If Kravtsov is cowardly enough to leave because he was scratched from one AHL game then good riddance. It tells me he doesn't have the drive or mental strength at this time to be the player the Rangers need him to be.

I don't think they are playing a dangerous game at all. I think they are doing exactly what they need to be doing, not coddling the kid. I would be surprised if Kravstov left, even if he spent the entire season in the AHL.

You're joking right? Do you know how many successful NHLers have started in the AHL?

Yeah, when Swedish youngsters get back to the SHL after they can't make the NHL, it's ok, but when it's Kravtsov, it's a cowardice. Nice logic. I think, he has that out KHL clause for a reason.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah, when Swedish youngsters get back to the SHL after they can't make the NHL, it's ok, but when it's Kravtsov, it's a cowardice. Nice logic. I think, he has that out KHL clause for a reason.
This situation you're describing, with kids going back to the SHL--when has that happened with us?

effen

Feb 3, 2018
No one is talking about coddling. But when you have special circumstances the approach can't be the same. We all saw the talent he has. And we all heard the high praise from the coaches. You don't want to place a promising talent in a position where you might force his hand. And IMO, sending him down, and scratching him after one game, is coming pretty close to backfiring and not getting the result you want.
You must be joking.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Assigning him to Hartford they took over 800k from his paycheck.

Only assuming he spends the whole season down there, which he can easily prevent by keeping his head down and playing hockey for a month or two. Hartford isn't a prison.

Our forward depth is horribad, and it only got worse with the trade last night. There will be injuries. There will be no lack of opportunities.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
GM was talking about a guy starting in the AHL, getting scratched, and choosing to "go home". Which Swedish prospect did that? Unless we're talking about guys like Kovacs and Stromwall which were completely different situations.

Well, including the "being scratched" makes it very specific but Lias was loaned to Frölunda after not making the team in 2017. Not that any Swedish player doing so is ever comparable to KHL players because of the transfer agreement (or lack thereof)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well, including the "being scratched" makes it very specific but Lias was loaned to Frölunda after not making the team in 2017. Not that any Swedish player doing so is ever comparable to KHL players because of the transfer agreement (or lack thereof)
Lias is totally different as well. The initial comment was about a player being so unhappy with being scratched in his second professional game in North America that he himself would exercise his EAC and go home. And how THAT would be cowardly. Then this other guy comes in and alludes to it happening with Swedish prospects and it being considered okay, when to my knowledge nothing comparable to what OP was talking about has occurred with Swedish prospects, or really any other prospects. So, IDK.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lias is totally different as well. The initial comment was about a player being so unhappy with being scratched in his second professional game in North America that he himself would exercise his EAC and go home. And how THAT would be cowardly. Then this other guy comes in and alludes to it happening with Swedish prospects and it being considered okay, when to my knowledge nothing comparable to what OP was talking about has occurred with Swedish prospects, or really any other prospects. So, IDK.

This whole debate has gone on for far too long based on Kravtsov being a healthy scratch for a single game :laugh:

Reactions: lucky13

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Only assuming he spends the whole season down there, which he can easily prevent by keeping his head down and playing hockey for a month or two. Our forward depth is horribad, and it only got worse with the trade last night. There will be injuries. There will be no lack of opportunities.

It's funny cause they got rid of Names due to our depth on the wing. One thing that might hurt us is Names ability to play center. If we get injuries up the middle, we could have a problem now.

But I agree there will be opportunities for Kravtsov. just hope they ain't pushing this kid too hard. To scratch him after one game sounds a bit harsh for a rookie playing his second professional game in North America. Unless it is something mundane like not knowing how to set his alarm clock and showing up late. Who knows, but it doesn't look good if it continues down this path.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Take it easy, killer. I laid out exactly why I brought that up and showed how it was relevant while doing so. Seems like you took offense on AK's behalf but you should read how he actually responded to me. He's already said it himself many times that he has to back people off and remind them he's just a fan bc people get a little overzealous about his thoughts and praise on some of our prospects . I bet a lot of posters here took his praise as incontrovertible proof that Kravtsov would be top 6 NHL ready from day 1 which led to the overreaction. The overreaction we literally saw the thread page before my comment. My perfectly relevant comment

Absolutely not, player! If the posters converted @Amazing Kreiderman reports into expectations that Kravtsov would be immediately ready to step into top6 on the Rangers - it’s on them. My point was that AK reports were totally in line with other more “professional” hockey sources.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It was all to make the team. And he didn't. There is no benefit to playing in the AHL. No Pay, no extra time on ice, cause they have the same amount of games early on. And then he gets benched, most probably because he can't smile about his situation.

I found it weird that he didn't smile after that goal in preseason. Maybe he already knew his fate? One thing is for sure, this is not how you build confidence in a young player who has other options.
If he places a lot of value on making the Rangers, being in the AHL has a huge benefit. He can be, and almost certainly will be, called up at some point. Can’t jump back and forth from the KHL to the NHL mid season.

I’d bet he didn’t get this far by running away at every sign of adversity in his career. He’ll be fine and should absolutely stay

Reactions: ohbaby and Lua

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Rangers as I thought are playing a dangerous game. They keep knocking down the youngster, he will leave....

Assigning him to Hartford they took over 800k from his paycheck. They did that to me , my bags would be packed.

good thing the Rangers did not draft that head case "ohbaby" who has more attitude issues than ADA, Latrell Sprewell, and Sean Avery combined and cares only for money instead of the dreams of being a hard working NHL professional.
2 games into the season. CALM. YOUR. BITS.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Take it easy, killer. I laid out exactly why I brought that up and showed how it was relevant while doing so. Seems like you took offense on AK's behalf but you should read how he actually responded to me. He's already said it himself many times that he has to back people off and remind them he's just a fan bc people get a little overzealous about his thoughts and praise on some of our prospects . I bet a lot of posters here took his praise as incontrovertible proof that Kravtsov would be top 6 NHL ready from day 1 which led to the overreaction. The overreaction we literally saw the thread page before my comment. My perfectly relevant comment

Actually, I've been very vocal about wanting him to stay in the KHL because I felt that was best for his development and he isn't NHL ready yet. I've said this numerous times on different platforms. Am I excited to see Kravtsov play for the Rangers? Sure! But you can't say I hyped him and that I created unrealistic expectations. I have not once said I think he can crack the line up this early in his career but people read something and jump to conclusions. I get very excited about hockey in general. I went to an Alps league game last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I just love the game. I follow our prospects with more interest for obvious reasons but I can clearly distinguish excitement from having unrealistic expectations. Same with Lundkvist. I love the kid, he's great. But there's no way he should be anywhere near the NHL team at this stage of his career.

The "I'm just a fan" bit is something I've said regularly while in New York the last 3 weeks. My girlfriend even joked about it because walking around at MSG, people kept stopping me, asking for a photo. She kept saying "Now I know what the player's wives feel like". It was surreal but a lot of fun. Still, I'm not a scout, I'm not in any way affiliated with the NHL, the team or even a news outlet (unless you can call a blog a news outlet). My love for the game takes me places, sure. I get to meet people which is great. But I am still just a fan who has a full time job working in IT and I wouldn't trade in my job for a scouting position even if they offered :laugh:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

Don't be so dramatic. First off, why was he scratched? We don't know. Maybe he needed a breather after a very hectic period going from Traverse, NHL, and now to the AHL. Maybe he was moping and needed a little kick in the butt. Maybe he had a minor injury that the team didn't want to expose.

Mcdonough, Girardi, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Callahan, Talbot ... just a handful of Rangers in recent memory who played SIGNIFICANT time in the AHL prior to becoming regular NHL players. There is no shame playing a developmental league.

There is nothing wrong with honing your game in the AHL.

The Rangers aren't ruining him for scratching him in one one game. The Rangers have a more vested interest in this kid than any of us. I'm sure there are some things he needs to learn at the AHL level. Let him hone those skills in a less pressure packed environment. Let him develop, score, get his confidence level up high, then bring him up when you feel he's fully ready. That's a better recipe than throwing him out there on a 3rd or 4th line where he's playing with players whom aren't that talented and where all his mistakes will be magnified.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad