Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
am i the only one who doesnt like any of our top prospects anywhere near hartford ??

i mean its not like we develop guys down there.

i do know that these young russians want no part of the A even though its a solid developmental league for sure.

hartford has been such a disaster for so long. its like purgatory.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
am i the only one who doesnt like any of our top prospects anywhere near hartford ??

i do know that these young russians want no part of the A even though its a solid developmental league for sure.

The entire coaching staff has been changed and they have added other developmental coaches. We can't say yet if the situation is improved, but at least they recognize it and are trying to fix it.

But of course young Russians coming from the KHL want no part of the AHL. They are making less money and have to ride buses to games. That said, I doubt Kravtsov is pouting about it. They told him what he needs to do to get called back up and he seems like he has a good attitude.

With Names traded, we now have 12 forwards, not counting Smith, and plenty of cap space to carry 14 forwards if we want. Both Chytil and Kravtsov will be back sooner rather than later.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

It’s never going to get fixed if we keep talented players from there. Look what TB did with their farm - that’s how it’s supposed to work.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
It’s never going to get fixed if we keep talented players from there. Look what TB did with their farm - that’s how it’s supposed to work.

oh i agree.

ive been a season ticket holder for the syr crunch for years. quality AHL organization.

howard dolgan - the owner and his right hand guy, vance leaderman both grew up nyr ranger fans from manhattan and run a clean operation here.

winning games is part of the culture here. develop players for tampa and win playoff games.

hartford is a mess or was.

Reactions: egelband

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
oh i agree.

ive been a season ticket holder for the syr crunch for years. quality AHL organization.

howard dolgan - the owner and his right hand guy, vance leaderman both grew up nyr ranger fans from manhattan and run a clean operation here.

winning games is part of the culture here. develop players for tampa and win playoff games.

hartford is a mess or was.
Yeah we should try to shape Hartford into that, part of that is having actual talent in Hartford.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Rangers as I thought are playing a dangerous game. They keep knocking down the youngster, he will leave....

Assigning him to Hartford they took over 800k from his paycheck. They did that to me , my bags would be packed.

"It’s too early to read too much into the situation in Hartford, but the Rangers have to know that Kravtsov has a European Assignment Clause in his contract and at any point could return to the KHL to play for Traktor (who retained his KHL rights)."

What’s going on with Kravtsov, a healthy scratch in Hartford?

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

Appreciate him actually commenting on it instead of 'I'm sure the coaches down there know what they're doing aren't we here to discuss NHL RANGERS, NEXT QUESTION'. Effectively he said the same thing without being combative and providing a bit of an explanation aside from STOP COACHING PAT

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Rangers as I thought are playing a dangerous game. They keep knocking down the youngster, he will leave....

Assigning him to Hartford they took over 800k from his paycheck. They did that to me , my bags would be packed.

"It’s too early to read too much into the situation in Hartford, but the Rangers have to know that Kravtsov has a European Assignment Clause in his contract and at any point could return to the KHL to play for Traktor (who retained his KHL rights)."

What’s going on with Kravtsov, a healthy scratch in Hartford?
I don’t think it’s that dangerous, he came over early and stayed all summer to learn English, leaving would go against the level of commitment he’s already shown. And if he’s not getting something, the message should be sent early so that the bad habit doesn’t form or get more ingrained in him

lemonybergamot

Jun 2, 2018
New York City
Kravtsov doesn't seem like a malcontent type of kid. He's also from a wealthy family, and in my experience, money isn't as important to you if you already have it. I think being successful in the NHL is more important to a kid like Kravtsov, so I doubt he'd bolt back to Russia... He'll be fine imo & this scratch was just a mild lesson on playing the "right way".

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I sure hope the Rangers brass have assured him, that his reassignment is only a temporary measure and that he will be back shortly.

Cause after his healthy scratch, one could gather, he's not happy about this situation.

Going back home to Russia and getting paid, most probably seems like a pretty good option right about now.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I sure hope the Rangers brass have assured him, that his reassignment is only a temporary measure and that he will be back shortly.

Cause after his healthy scratch, one could gather, he's not happy about this situation.

Going back home to Russia and getting paid, most probably seems like a pretty good option right about now.

Kravtsov doesn't seem like the type to run at the first sign of adversity. Actually, it's a pretty ridiculous thing to suggest at this point.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
leaving would go against the level of commitment he’s already shown
It was all to make the team. And he didn't. There is no benefit to playing in the AHL. No Pay, no extra time on ice, cause they have the same amount of games early on. And then he gets benched, most probably because he can't smile about his situation.

I found it weird that he didn't smile after that goal in preseason. Maybe he already knew his fate? One thing is for sure, this is not how you build confidence in a young player who has other options.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It was all to make the team. And he didn't. There is no benefit to playing in the AHL. No Pay, no extra time on ice, cause they have the same amount of games early on. And then he gets benched, most probably because he can't smile about his situation.

I found it weird that he didn't smile after that goal in preseason. Maybe he already knew his fate? One thing is for sure, this is not how you build confidence in a young player who has other options.

You are definitely reading way too much into the situation. None of us know what Kravtsov is thinking, but it's ridiculous to assume the worst.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006

Playing him despite him needing to improve isn't how you do it either.

Stop acting like he's some entitled brat. These posts are ridiculous. Hockey players know they need to earn their ice time. Success will be rewarded. Its been TWO GAMES. You really need to chill out.

Reactions: ohbaby

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Kravtsov doesn't seem like the type to run at the first sign of adversity. Actually, it's a pretty ridiculous thing to suggest at this point.
Who's to say this is not the beginning of something counterproductive? It won't be ridiculous two or three weeks from now if we continue down this road and he doesn't respond kindly.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
We don't know the exact circumstances, so I hope the "Kravtsov is down pouting in the AHL" narrative doesn't grow any legs. Speculation paints reality quite a bit on these boards.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

I think the team has a unified front of what DQ said- certain things such as back checking, being too fancy in risky situations (ala Hajek's trying a fancy move in game 1 when he was the last man back in the D zone and got stripped of the puck) are non-negotiable. You can't scratch him hoping to send a message, while through back channels he's being reassured his position is stable no need to stress it. Don't think that will get him on his horse to catch his man at the end of an extended O zone shift and he's gassed. Knowing your spot on the team relies on it will drive him much harder than reassurance his spot is secure no matter what.

VK was already heartbroken getting sent down, he knows he has the talent and he's been driving to be an NHLer for quite some time. It's a tough hit to the ego and defensiveness is an immature but still natural reaction. As he comes to terms with it and contemplates his next steps let's hope he doubles down to prove he has what it takes like fellow countryman Buch did when he was struggling early on healthy scratched and clearly upset about it.

Facing and overcoming adversity is key and for many of these prospects it's their first taste of it.

Reactions: ohbaby

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Playing him despite him needing to improve isn't how you do it either.
Stop acting like he's some entitled brat. These posts are ridiculous. Hockey players know they need to earn their ice time. Success will be rewarded. Its been TWO GAMES. You really need to chill out.

You didn't read the article I posted. What would be the big difference playing him less minutes up here than the same amount of games down in Hartford?

And all I'm pointing out, is that this could be a dangerous approach taken,... with a talented youngster who has options. Plain and simple.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Loving the way Nils is staying back home and developing. Was hoping VK would go the same route. I know he wanted to come here and he has the talent but making a huge jump at 18/19 to north america is not easy. We probably rushed Chytil/Lias and just would rather have had VK stay back another year or two in Russia.
If its an attitude thing I hope he can at least try to get his game/emotions together to at least give the AHL a good month or two to improve his North American game before coming back up to the Rangers. I just don't see how putting him on the 4th line up here is gonna do much good for him right now.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
You didn't read the article I posted. What would be the big difference playing him less minutes up here than the same amount of games down in Hartford?

And all I'm pointing out, is that this could be a dangerous approach taken,... with a talented youngster who has options. Plain and simple.

I know he was scratched - and based on Quinn's comments, he did something to deserve it and it was addressed. Maybe he did get pissed about being demoted. Maybe he half-assed it in practice. The fact is, he has shown to be willing to put in the work. Maybe he slipped up - he's a kid. This isn't Radulov being a petulant child all over again. It's a process.

And you know what? If he's going to end up acting like that where it's "play me on the big club or I'm packing my bags" and he didn't earn the promotion, than he isn't the kind of attitude you want on the team. Go look at Ho Sang. Tons of talent, terrible attitude, and no one even wanted him on waivers. I don't think we have anything near that problem here, not even close, but that's what happens to players with attitudes bigger than their work ethic and it's not a huge loss.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

They clearly see him as a liability on the ice right now. We have some high end talent and as of now expectations are high for the season and the coaches want it to stay that way. Playing a rookie who is a liability is not fair to the rest of the NHL squad and could build resentment in the locker room. Making mistakes at the NHL level end up burning you and could really break his confidence at this level so they'd end playing him 7 minutes on the 4th line with scrubs, not helpful to his development either.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Loving the way Nils is staying back home and developing. Was hoping VK would go the same route. I know he wanted to come here and he has the talent but making a huge jump at 18/19 to north america is not easy. We probably rushed Chytil/Lias and just would rather have had VK stay back another year or two in Russia.
If its an attitude thing I hope he can at least try to get his game/emotions together to at least give the AHL a good month or two to improve his North American game before coming back up to the Rangers. I just don't see how putting him on the 4th line up here is gonna do much good for him right now.
Huge differences in a) the existence of a transfer agreement and b) the quality of the team vis a vis the rest of the league in which it plays.

Reactions: romba
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad