Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
It's not a Quinn issue. It's an NHL issue. Create players are held back a lot because of the style of hockey where they have all these assignments.
But do think we've seen the treatment this season of guys like Smith and Vesey vs Buch and DeAngelo.

Skill isnt how you cut it with Quinn. Its about working hard(or looking like you work hard) and fitting into the team "system"

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
My biggest worry is that the coaching staff is going to suck all the creativity out of him by forcing him to "play a simpler game" or some other bull**** reason they find.

Buchnevich recently had an interview and in answering a question about Quinn's requirements he noted that there's absolutely no restriction about making creative plays in the offensive zone.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Buchnevich recently had an interview and in answering a question about Quinn's requirements he noted that there's absolutely no restriction about making creative plays in the offensive zone.
Yeah, it's such a silly argument. Quinn's thing is about effort and responsible play, not stifling creativity. Zibanejad and Zuccarello were just as creative as ever. Same for Hayes. Chytil tries to be creative. He was another guy that sat out, but not because he was trying to be creative. It's such a silly, stereotypical, false narrative that Quinn doesn't want his players to be creative and only wants some tough, high-effort team of North-South guys. He does want guys to be tough and high-effort but there is literally zero evidence of him trying to curtail anyone's skill or creativity. It's a tired narrative that should be retired.

Quinn's issues with ADA appear to be numerous, but also appear to be largely resolved. And he is creative with the puck. Again, it's just a fabrication from people who don't like the way their favorite players have been handled.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's a stigma that NA coaches have. It's rightfully earned for the most part going by the past, but that doesn't mean that Quinn is that way, or that most modern coaches in the NHL are that way either.

Reactions: Ola

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's a stigma that NA coaches have. It's rightfully earned for the most part going by the past, but that doesn't mean that Quinn is that way, or that most modern coaches in the NHL are that way either.

The really talented players usually aren't affected by this (Kucherov, Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Panarin, Tarasenko) and are given more "freedom" to roam around in my opinion. It will depend on Kravtsov if he's able to do that as well. For all the love Kravtsov gets (and rightfully so), I don't think he will amaze people this coming season. I expect a 25-30 point season out of him with some PP2 time

Reactions: Kendo

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The really talented players usually aren't affected by this (Kucherov, Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Panarin, Tarasenko) and are given more "freedom" to roam around in my opinion. It will depend on Kravtsov if he's able to do that as well. For all the love Kravtsov gets (and rightfully so), I don't think he will amaze people this coming season. I expect a 25-30 point season out of him with some PP2 time
And that's a-okay with me.

Reactions: Kendo

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
But do think we've seen the treatment this season of guys like Smith and Vesey vs Buch and DeAngelo.

Skill isnt how you cut it with Quinn. Its about working hard(or looking like you work hard) and fitting into the team "system"
I disagree. Mika gets tons of minutes and he’s very skilled. Also Quinn said in an interview I read that Hayes wasn’t a perfectly complete player but when he’s scoring like he was, you have to play him big minutes.

You play if you work hard and you play more if you’re skilled while you do it. That’s fine imo.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Yeah for sure some guys get more leeway. When you're producing 50 goals or 90 points then you can be forgiven for turning the puck over in the neutral zone at times with boneheaded plays.

I'm generalizing a lot with this next statement but I think for guys like Buch and maybe a guy like Kravtsov, just the different emphasis in style of play between KHL and NHL is a big thing to overcome. Not necessarily the physical part, but like...I think Buch could/can get away with watching the play and waiting for a moment to "strike" and get a puck and go with it in the KHL, while in the NHL a coach like Quinn is saying "no, you need to be involved, you need to forecheck and win battles and get the puck and THEN be creative with it".

Very broad generalization there, I think NHL coaches just want to see more puck pressure and aggression in play particularly without the puck. Perhaps for better or worse.

As for Kravtsov's production...might depend a lot on the makeup of the team next season, who he gets to play with, etc. If he can play with the more talented guys on the team he can probably do pretty well. If he's kind of bouncing around the lineup working on things the coaches want him to work on etc then he may not produce a lot. That is if he even starts or gets a lot of NHL playing time.

Off topic a bit but it really is something that has irritated me about how Quinn has handled Andersson...just seems like he's always getting the low minutes and not a lot of skilled linemate support. Seems like he's being setup to not produce much right now. Maybe the coaches have their reasons I suppose.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
If his finishing ability was a bit better he'd basically be Petterson. Can't have it all though... and he probably would have went way before we got to pick if that was the case

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If his finishing ability was a bit better he'd basically be Petterson. Can't have it all though... and he probably would have went way before we got to pick if that was the case

Did he stop developing at 19 that he can’t improve his finishing ability?

Reactions: yzerman

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Did he stop developing at 19 that he can’t improve his finishing ability?

Sure it can be improved, but i'm a little skeptical with regard to players turning weaknesses into major strengths. It's not very common for players that are considered primarily playmakers like Kravtsov to become big time goal scorers and vice versa

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Same here. I've researched this a few months ago, but since the 2004-05 lockout, only 1 player drafted 9th or lower has hit 50 points as a teenager in the NHL (Anze Kopitar). Expectations should not be too high. Kravtsov is only 19
I'll take Aho-type production and trajectory :naughty:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Sure it can be improved, but i'm a little skeptical with regard to players turning weaknesses into major strengths. It's not very common for players that are considered primarily playmakers like Kravtsov to become big time goal scorers and vice versa
The majority of scouts call Kravtsov a sniper and a shoot-first player. Pettersson’s shot was actually considered a weakness, especially his slapshot.

Look in his draft year how few goals he scored that were snipes, and not a single slapshot/one-timer. He could only score by dangling the goalie. And now he has a 100mph slapshot and it’s sorta what he’s known for.

A lot of scouts actually praise Kravtsov’s shot, despite me finding it weak myself. He does have a really quick release, but his velocity isn’t too great. He did score more goals from one-timers this season, and in the WJC he was even taking some slapshots from the point that seemed to be pretty hard shots. If he improves the velocity of his shot I think he could absolutely be the Pettersson of this draft, he reminds me a lot of him

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
FWIW

Vitali's dad sent me a photo of him and Vitali (and the rest of the family) telling me "the family will miss him". Looks like they're making the most of his time in Russia before he moves. April 30th is getting closer.

(I don't feel comfortable sharing the photo but if a moderator wants to verify, I'm okay with sending a screenshot in a PM)

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
FWIW

Vitali's dad sent me a photo of him and Vitali (and the rest of the family) telling me "the family will miss him". Looks like they're making the most of his time in Russia before he moves. April 30th is getting closer.

(I don't feel comfortable sharing the photo but if a moderator wants to verify, I'm okay with sending a screenshot in a PM)
Are you guys going to meet up at his first NHL game?:naughty:

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
FWIW

It's understood that as you are an official member of the media it is for public consumption ;)

Seriously though, I'd keep it private to respect his family and to keep your insider status maxed out at level 99

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Are you guys going to meet up at his first NHL game?:naughty:

His dad was denied entrance to the US due to his history with the Soviet army as an officer so I don't think he'll be in the US for game. His daughter, Vitali's sister, works in Toronto so him entering Canada is easier. Hence, me meeting him in Vancouver. Once Vitali plays (and works) in the US it may be possible for him to enter the US

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
His dad was denied entrance to the US due to his history with the Soviet army as an officer so I don't think he'll be in the US for game. His daughter, Vitali's sister, works in Toronto so him entering Canada is easier. Hence, me meeting him in Vancouver. Once Vitali plays (and works) in the US it may be possible for him to enter the US

The f***, was he NKVD or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad