Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He’s definitely unique in how slippery he can be for a guy with his size, speed, and hands. I’m glad he’s in the national spotlight now so people actually can see how skilled he truly is.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm already looking forward to the select few on this board who are going to jump all over him and label him with a bunch of dumb names the first time he turns the puck over on one of those rushes when he makes he leap over the pond.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Every draft first round I always feel like we get the hindsight "Rangers selected x before y - LOL Rangers!". Just once I want us to be the team that selected that y guy that other team draft picks get compared to.

When it comes t0 Kravstov...

Draft day - Rangers selected x before y LOL

4 years from now - ... f*** I wish we drafted x.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
One more Kravtsov highlight:

I thought he was the best player on the ice (with an honorable mention to Hoglander). Constantly winning loose pucks with an excellent stick, skating into space, beating Swedish defenders, and moving the puck to open teammates. He might have created 10 scoring chances in addition to the goal + assist (and shootout goal). He broke up 2 Swedish chances with strong backchecks and made an impact in the defensive end too. For guys who worry about him getting pushed around in the KHL, he looked very good physically against guys his own age. He had two big hits and outmuscled a Swedish defender for a loose puck.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
One more Kravtsov highlight:

I thought he was the best player on the ice (with an honorable mention to Hoglander). Constantly winning loose pucks with an excellent stick, skating into space, beating Swedish defenders, and moving the puck to open teammates. He might have created 10 scoring chances in addition to the goal + assist (and shootout goal). He broke up 2 Swedish chances with strong backchecks and made an impact in the defensive end too. For guys who worry about him getting pushed around in the KHL, he looked very good physically against guys his own age. He had two big hits and outmuscled a Swedish defender for a loose puck.

That can't be a real name :laugh:

Reactions: Sticky Fingers

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Did Ragnarsson and/or Sjalin play? Thoughts on them?

Yeah. Both had some positives and negatives. Neither was close to the same level as Kravstov.

Sjalin was good / active in his own end. Responsible with his positioning, very active with his stick, and aggressive about engaging in puck battles without getting caught out of position. He broke up a bunch of plays near the net and won a few loose pucks. He also made good first passes, tape-to-tape to open players coming out of the defensive zone. On the other hand, he was close to invisible at the other end of the ice (except for one rush where he tried to skate through the entire Russian team and turned the puck over at the blue line after beating one or two guys). He also got caught up ice on the 2nd Russian goal, although Russia was sprung loose by a bad pass / line change, so it's tough to blame that one on Sjalin.

Ragnarsson brings more to the table offensively. He didn't show off a lot of skill, but he skates well, made good offensive reads, and wasn't timid about jumping into the play. For example, he made a smart pinch behind the Russian defense on one play that created a good scoring chance. He made good breakout passes and joined the rush at least twice, although he didn't end up getting the puck. He also had a smart shot where his teammate could deflect it, which created a scoring chance, although he didn't get a ton on the shot. Defensively, he skates well and was engaged / well-positioned. He did get muscled off the puck along the boards a few times though, and probably lost more puck battles than he won. Outside of one big hit, I thought he struggled a little bit physically. There was also a play where one of the Russians beat him on an inside move on a 2-on-2 where Ragnarsson was too aggressive closing his gap, but Sweden had a lot of defensive support so Russia didn't get anywhere. He did start the overtime for Sweden, which I thought was a good endorsement from their coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad