Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah. Both had some positives and negatives. Neither was close to the same level as Kravstov.

Sjalin was good / active in his own end. Responsible with his positioning, very active with his stick, and aggressive about engaging in puck battles without getting caught out of position. He broke up a bunch of plays near the net and won a few loose pucks. He also made good first passes, tape-to-tape to open players coming out of the defensive zone. On the other hand, he was close to invisible at the other end of the ice (except for one rush where he tried to skate through the entire Russian team and turned the puck over at the blue line after beating one or two guys). He also got caught up ice on the 2nd Russian goal, although Russia was sprung loose by a bad pass / line change, so it's tough to blame that one on Sjalin.

Ragnarsson brings more to the table offensively. He didn't show off a lot of skill, but he skates well, made good offensive reads, and wasn't timid about jumping into the play. For example, he made a smart pinch behind the Russian defense on one play that created a good scoring chance. He made good breakout passes and joined the rush at least twice, although he didn't end up getting the puck. He also had a smart shot where his teammate could deflect it, which created a scoring chance, although he didn't get a ton on the shot. Defensively, he skates well and was engaged / well-positioned. He did get muscled off the puck along the boards a few times though, and probably lost more puck battles than he won. Outside of one big hit, I thought he struggled a little bit physically. There was also a play where one of the Russians beat him on an inside move on a 2-on-2 where Ragnarsson was too aggressive closing his gap, but Sweden had a lot of defensive support so Russia didn't get anywhere. He did start the overtime for Sweden, which I thought was a good endorsement from their coach.
Awesome, thanks for the reports.

Reactions: pblawr

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Kravtsov is in a middle of a little controversy. There’s an interview with incoming Traktor’s head coach German Titov. It’s about what Kravtsov confided to him before leaving for U20 camp with team Russia that he’s reluctant to leave (emphasis) and rather stay with Traktor. He also said it had something to do with his interactions with Russia’s coaching stuff. Pretty much everyone in the comments feels that this conversation should’ve stayed private and that Titov is **** for talking about it with a journalist.

Герман Титов: "Ощущение, что Кравцову не нравится ездить в сборную. Там ему некомфортно"

Titov did not say it was because of 'interactions with the coaching staff', just that Kravtsov doesn't feel content on the national team compared to Traktor.

I wouldn't either. His spot on the WJC is guaranteed. There's no point playing in these U20 tournaments that are primarily used as try-outs for WJC.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I'm starting to think he might be the superstar among our pack of top tier prospects. Looked absolutely phenomenal in today's game.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The way he stick handles you cant tell if hes going to shoot or deke (and when baring down on defenseman shoot or pass). That's a tough talent to master and if he keeps it up coming over to the NHl its going to make him lethal in the offensive zone.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The way he stick handles you cant tell if hes going to shoot or deke (and when baring down on defenseman shoot or pass). That's a tough talent to master and if he keeps it up coming over to the NHl its going to make him lethal in the offensive zone.

I cannot remember us having a prospect who was this dominant against his peers.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Not like this. Cherepanov was a good prospect, but Kravtsov creates chances out of nothing.
I disagree.he was a lot better then a good prospect and pretty damn good against his peers.Not trying to compare them either,just saying Alexei was a hell of a prospect for us.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ahhh, I remember being at the draft party and being the only guy cheering like it was yesterday.

But but Wahlstrom!!! Silence, plebs.

I got into an argument with a Rangers fan right after the pick in the stadium. Wahlstrom this, Wahlstrom that. I have no problem with people like @GregSirico who has a good argument as to why he wanted Wahlstrom, but so many fans were just echoing whatever they read in a Larry Brooks article. So many fans were ready to burn down the building when that pick was made. It's crazy.

You can actually hear a guy cheering in the background at the draft, the moment Gordie Clark announces the pick. That's me hahaha.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Couldn't be more excited for this kid. The pick was a risk but definitely the right kind of risk. This kid oozes gamebreaking potential. Keep it up and stay healthy!

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think the majority of the NHL scouts just watch international play, he has been this good all preseason with Traktor and his play just become a thing to talk about when he dominates level-B/C prospects.:huh:
I think it's more the media. The media are who ask the scouts the questions, so if they media aren't watching (or reading about it), they're not asking questions and there are no quotes.

Reactions: Fvital92

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Ahhh, I remember being at the draft party and being the only guy cheering like it was yesterday.

But but Wahlstrom!!! Silence, plebs.
There was so much whinging the 12 months prior about management never going for the boom-or-bust type, too.

Reactions: Bozle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia