Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #28 - Nils Lundkvist (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I listened to a long podcast interview with Nils Lundkvist, its really old news, maybe it has been covered in the past. Think its from last spring. But it was interesting to hear. The kid is a bit of a leader, didn't know that. He takes a lot of responsibility in the group, and its so refreshing to hear about these kids and how they totally disregard the business side of things and only care about the team, making sure that everyone on the roster helps each other as much as possible, supporting each other.

A few interesting things:
-He felt that Bobrov really like him. Talked with 28 teams, everyone was always very positive so it was hard to read much into it, but said that NB had talked with him several times and that he knew he had a shot to be drafted by us.

-There where 10 Swedish players that considered not going to the combine up until the last second, then they made a joint call and decided to go. The reason for not going was that it would disrupt their summer training so much.

-He said that his season last year turned around after the WJCs. Due to the make-up of that team (a boatload of offensively gifted RHS), he got much more defensive responsibility than he was used to. Was a big upswing for him, said that he always had taken pride in defending well, but that he really could feel that he could do it well at the highest level after the WJCs when he was Sweden's top PKer etc.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
was completely unaware of just how much I've been texting my friend and cousin to tell them about how awesome Nils is until today when the phone autocorrected Lundqvist to Lundkvist lol

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I saw about half the game, Edström played like 4 minutes but I never spotted him so I wonder if all wasn’t early on.

Lundkvist played well. He is starting to show good timing with his hits.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Not to take anything away from Nils, but that stat is a tad bit misleading since Hedman's 25 points came in his D-2 and D-1 years. Hedman was already a regular in the NHL when he was in his D+2 year. However, what Nils is doing this year is still shaping up to be one of the best U20 dman seasons in SHL history, and it's really tough to find any comparable players to him at this point since very few have such high offensive outputs. The only standouts are Tim Erixon and David Rundblad, and I think we'd all agree, even in hindsight, that Nils is a better prospect than those two were at the same age. He's also not in the same mold of an offensive dman that is weak in the defensive zone.

I'm still not sure if I see him carrying over this type of offensive ability to the NHL, but from what I've seen, it shouldn't matter because we're going to benefit way more from his ability to read the play on the ice and control the flow of the game from the backend.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Let me guess,they glommed that from AK?

Who are the other 3 defensemen that he tied? Hedmen is one.

its not hedman...hedman had the same 25 points but he had 4 points 1 season and 21 the next before coming over...

according to the thread on twitter the other 3 were Mattias Öhlund, David Rundblad and Tim Erixon.

Ohlund: 94-95 had 16 in 34 games, 95-96 had 14 in 38 games
Rundblad: 08-09 had 10 in 45 games, 09-10 had 13 in 47
Erixon: 09-10 had 13 in 45 games, 10-11 had 24 in 48 games.

nils had 10 in 41 games last year...already 10 in only 15 games this year

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Not to take anything away from Nils, but that stat is a tad bit misleading since Hedman's 25 points came in his D-2 and D-1 years. Hedman was already a regular in the NHL when he was in his D+2 year. However, what Nils is doing this year is still shaping up to be one of the best U20 dman seasons in SHL history, and it's really tough to find any comparable players to him at this point since very few have such high offensive outputs. The only standouts are Tim Erixon and David Rundblad, and I think we'd all agree, even in hindsight, that Nils is a better prospect than those two were at the same age. He's also not in the same mold of an offensive dman that is weak in the defensive zone.

I'm still not sure if I see him carrying over this type of offensive ability to the NHL, but from what I've seen, it shouldn't matter because we're going to benefit way more from his ability to read the play on the ice and control the flow of the game from the backend.

how are facts misleading? they both had 25 points U20 in the SHL facts. if you try to draw your own conclusion that this means he is as good as hedman than thats is on you but the original fact and statistic is not misleading or incorrect. :naughty:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
how are facts misleading? they both had 25 points U20 in the SHL facts. if you try to draw your own conclusion that this means he is as good as hedman than thats is on you but the original fact and statistic is not misleading or incorrect. :naughty:
Alternative facts. :sarcasm: :dunce::scared:

Reactions: Leetch3

Jagge11

Dec 13, 2018
I can add that it's tougher to score points in the SHL today compare to say ten years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad