Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #28 - Nils Lundkvist (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Does lundkvist make the team with all those big hitters above him?
He could, but I think he has to play better than he has been to guarantee his spot (not that he’s been awful, he just hasn’t been great). I don’t think Sandin is better than him, for example. Sweden seems to have their own very rigid ideas of roles and types of players they like filling out their rosters, so they might be more focused on seeing players X, Y, and Z fight for spot A rather than ‘we’re taking our 7-8 best defensemen and 13 best forwards’.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I don’t think that includes any NA based players, the defense alone could be adding Liljegren, Brännström, and Sandin
Even so, the forward group, with luck, is bellow average, in a year with really strong teams from Canada, USA, Russia, Finland and maybe even Czech Republic - if they get back Zadina, Necas, Kaut and Chytil - I'm not banking on them to make the semifinals.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Even so, the forward group, with luck, is bellow average, in a year with really strong teams from Canada, USA, Russia, Finland and maybe even Czech Republic - if they get back Zadina, Necas, Kaut and Chytil - I'm not banking on them to make the semifinals.
Fair enough, I feel like I usually under estimate their forwards and then they go out and medal anyway

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Did anyone report that he appeared in 2 of the last 3 games played by Lulea's J20 SuperElit team?

Yeah, the SHL team only had a game on Saturday, so they decided to have Nils play with the J20 team on Friday and Sunday. Basically, Nils has not missed a single SHL game and his schedule last week looked like this:

Thursday against Frolunda in Goteborg (7:47)
Friday against Modo J20 hockey in Lulea
Saturday against Malmo in Lulea (7:38)
Sunday against Timra J20 in Lulea

Not sure what his TOI was in the SuperElit games, but he played 4 games in 4 days

Reactions: Mikos87

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
SHL scheduling always seemed weird to me. It seems like there's regularly really long times between games. Maybe it's just me.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
SHL scheduling always seemed weird to me. It seems like there's regularly really long times between games. Maybe it's just me.

In this case, it wasn't that bad. I think they just took advantage of having the J20 team playing home on Friday and Sunday, with the SHL team playing home on Saturday. Getting some more minutes for Nils, while at the same time injecting some quality into the J20 team for a few games. The fact that he played with the SHL team on Saturday, actually shows to me that it wasn't so much a demotion but just taking advantage of the schedule because the J20 team had a game in Saturday as well that he could have played in

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden

They changed it this season to make it even more extreme because people (not sure who, didn't care much) complained that teams had different amount ot games played mid season, so now we have this thing where there's like 2-3 Days every week without games at all :s

Reactions: nyr2k2

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Yeah, the SHL team only had a game on Saturday, so they decided to have Nils play with the J20 team on Friday and Sunday. Basically, Nils has not missed a single SHL game and his schedule last week looked like this:

Thursday against Frolunda in Goteborg (7:47)
Friday against Modo J20 hockey in Lulea
Saturday against Malmo in Lulea (7:38)
Sunday against Timra J20 in Lulea

Not sure what his TOI was in the SuperElit games, but he played 4 games in 4 days

Sounds like he has the same schedule as Andersson had last year. Trade him while his value is high. He's gonna wear out and turn into a bust too :sarcasm:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In this case, it wasn't that bad. I think they just took advantage of having the J20 team playing home on Friday and Sunday, with the SHL team playing home on Saturday. Getting some more minutes for Nils, while at the same time injecting some quality into the J20 team for a few games. The fact that he played with the SHL team on Saturday, actually shows to me that it wasn't so much a demotion but just taking advantage of the schedule because the J20 team had a game in Saturday as well that he could have played in
Yeah I get the reasoning behind Nils going down--it's just like when we sent Georgiev down recently to get some action. My comment was just directed towards the SHL in general; it seemed like I used to go and there were a couple games being played each day, other than maybe Monday. Now, I feel like I go to the site to check the schedule and for like 3 days there's nothing, no SHL, no Allsvenskan, just HockeyEttan or J20 or below. Seems bizarre to set it up that way.

They changed it this season to make it even more extreme because people (not sure who, didn't care much) complained that teams had different amount ot games played mid season, so now we have this thing where there's like 2-3 Days every week without games at all :s
Yeah this is what I'm talking about. Okay, so I'm not crazy. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: ManUtdTobbe

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah I get the reasoning behind Nils going down--it's just like when we sent Georgiev down recently to get some action. My comment was just directed towards the SHL in general; it seemed like I used to go and there were a couple games being played each day, other than maybe Monday. Now, I feel like I go to the site to check the schedule and for like 3 days there's nothing, no SHL, no Allsvenskan, just HockeyEttan or J20 or below. Seems bizarre to set it up that way.

Yeah this is what I'm talking about. Okay, so I'm not crazy. Thanks for the info.

Could be because of the CHL and international tournaments ;)

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
Noel Gunler finished 1+1. I’ve not seen him play but I have played against his dad and uncle (Joakim and Jacob Gunler, I think they are family at least but EP isn’t showing it. They look a like and both were named Gunler and played for the same team, but who knows). They were really good players, especially Joakim. That generation of players were pretty tough even if the Gunlers were really talented. They had Thomas Holmstroms bro too on the same team.

Seems like an interesting kid to follow, wouldn’t surprise me if he is a bit atypical for a Swede given his bloodlines. Should have a lot of killer instinct.
Sorry for being off topic, but I did a quick Google search and discovered that Joakim (Noel's father) is the co-founder and CEO of Leos Lekland, the biggest indoor playground (play center?) company in the Nordics. Maybe you already knew that, I just thought that was some interesting trivia :)

Reactions: Ola

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He played forward the last game too, yes. So he's up to 2 games on the wing, his TOI is creeping up again which is good, 11 and 12 min the last 2 games (1 as winger 1 as D) after 3 games with lower TOI, as low as ~6 in one of the games. Interesting that he was on the left wall on PP1 last game, i Think he's definitely starting to find his game again and hopefully he keeps earning more minutes too.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
For those that are ready to panic, the only reason he is playing forward is because Lulea is suffering a silly amount of injuries up front and of all the dmen on the team Lundkvist makes the most sense to plug into the forward group. The goal he scored this weekend was in a game in which he played as a Dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad