Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #28 - Nils Lundkvist (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
In a pool filled with prospects on the younger side of the spectrum, Lundkvist is the youngest. He barely beats out Lindbom, and Riley Hughes is about a month older.

Lundkvist just turned 18 in July and won't turn 19 until a while after the season ends. He's more than a year younger than his draft classmate Joey Keane, and nearly two years younger than Lias Andersson.

Despite that, he's playing in Lulea as the team's youngest player by a good two years --- he's the only player not born in the 1980s or 1990s.

Last edited:

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
Looooong interview in the local newspaper Kuriren today, courtesy of Google Translate (with some minor corrections):

"Will not be able to graduate for a while"

He came from nowhere and hit through one evening. Since then, Nils Lundkvist has experienced a year that he himself hardly dreamed of dreaming about. The sport has met Luleå Hockey's gold clump telling him about the hysteria around him, all successes, the dip in form this fall and the lack of being just the "18-year-old boy from Pitholm".

Simon Jakobsson

13: 14 | 2018-10-16

18-year-old Nils Lundkvist receives Kuriren Sport in his apartment in Luleå.

His apartment is newly renovated and all the gadgets are well laid out in their places. The driving license book is on the desk, the pillows on the couch are well-drained and well-stocked in the living room sofa and the kitchen is sparkling clean. He has lived here since the fall of 2016 when he moved to Luleå to study economics programs with a focus on ice hockey.

"There was a change," says Nils Lundkvist, when he is sitting on the couch, thinking back on how the SHL debut against Malmö on October 26, 2017 changed his future.

Source: www.kuriren.nu/sport/100-hockey/kommer-inte-kunna-ta-examen-pa-ett-tag-nm4940409.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
In a pool filled with prospects on the younger side of the spectrum, Lundkvist is the youngest. He barely beats out Lindbom, and Riley Hughes is about a month older.

Lundkvist just turned 18 in July and won't turn 19 until after a while after the season ends. He's more than a year younger than his draft classmate Joey Keane, and nearly two years younger than Lias Andersson.

Despite that, he's playing in Lulea as the team's youngest player by a good two years --- he's the only player not born in the 1980s or 1990s.

A very underrated aspect of prospects. Lundkvist has 2 years on any other player on his team, yet he's a regular.

Reactions: Edge

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
SHL is barely a step below AHL. The fact Nils is getting regular minutes as an 18 year old is extremely encouraging.
If NHLe can be considered a proxy for league strength, the SHL is a step up from the AHL. Which is congruent with the fact that many AHL superstars have struggled in the SHL IIRC.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If NHLe can be considered a proxy for league strength, the SHL is a step up from the AHL. Which is congruent with the fact that many AHL superstars have struggled in the SHL IIRC.

Fair point.

I've always had it as: NHL, KHL, AHL, SHL in that order.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I know we’re looking at TOI for his ‘regular role’, but even if he continues as the 7th dman all year in the SHL, he’s already more of a regular than he was last year doing half in juniors and half in the SHL

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Fair point.

I've always had it as: NHL, KHL, AHL, SHL in that order.

AHL is mostly players who aren't good enough for the NHL plus prospects who never made it to the NHL whereas the SHL has a lot players who have significant NHL experience coupled with a bunch of prospects who are on their way to the NHL.

We will never truly know which one is better. It's a matter of opinion but I have always felt the SHL is slightly better than the AHL because it's not solely a development league.

Reactions: darko

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
AHL is mostly players who aren't good enough for the NHL plus prospects who never made it to the NHL whereas the SHL has a lot players who have significant NHL experience coupled with a bunch of prospects who are on their way to the NHL.

We will never truly know which one is better. It's a matter of opinion but I have always felt the SHL is slightly better than the AHL because it's not solely a development league.
That's a good summary. It depends on how you look at it. SHL has a lot of young talents 18-19 y.o. that you don't see in AHL because the NA players are in juniors. The top line in AHL might be at just about NHL standard and might have an edge on the SHL top line on average. But 3rd-4th lines in SHL is filled with much more talent, there's no room for mediocracy. And team tactics is extremely much in focus, you more often win a game with 2-1 or even 1-0 than the 8-5 you see in the AHL, so defense is high priority. Defensmen needs to be mobile. However, rink size makes the transition game tend to go slower in SHL, with more emphasis on passing the puck through traffic rather than dump/chase from red line. But when in the D-zone you need to move your skates, and know your positions precisely.

What is clearly better in general in AHL is shooting, it's the nature of the NA game and probably due to rink size, but historically NA players are focusing their training much more on this ability, although things are changing in Sweden so slowly getting better. But overall it makes it tougher for the goalies in NA, you rarely see a top SHL goalie taking a NHL roster sport first season. The transition is harder than for a skater.
AHL is also a bit more physical, especially in the hot area, but not as much as you might believe.

One thing Swedish players generally emphasize as a big difference though is how you conduct yourself with regards to team mates. In AHL everyone is so focused on their individual career and individual statistics are extremely important. In Sweden it's much more about the team's performance and the individual is not so much in focus internally. The team Standings is what matter the most to everyone, because there's not only the playoffs at stake but also the risk of degradation to the 2nd tier league. Which results in a bit more relaxed atmosphere between the players, it's easier to develop the line as a whole and a skilled two-way/defensive winger is a highly regarded asset.

There are also lots of examples of elite AHL players that are complete busts in SHL.

Last edited:

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
Getting to Nils, he's had some serious problems in the D zone in the beginning of this season. And also clearly needs to add a few pounds not to be shoved around defending his position near goal. There's been a few goals against due to him being moved around, or getting overplayed. So in a late close game while in the lead he won't be seeing much ice time right now. On the other hand, he's getting lots of PP time and he does well with that. Not many individual points so far but the team performance is just fine.

I believe also that he'll figure it out soon how to behave in his own zone. He's a smart player and the coaches are very experienced, and also good at developing talents (the D coach doubles as a WJC-20 coach for Sweden).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If Lundkvist pans out, he probably projects as an under-the-radar type. There's not necessarily one attribute that jumps out at you. He's not physically imposing, he's not necessarily a big numbers offensive defenseman, and he's not a guy who screams top pair defenseman.

But he's smart and he knows how to get the puck moving.

I also wouldn't underestimate Lundkvist's offensive upside. When he's had the chance to use it, he's done well.

Let's also keep in mind that this kid only turned 18 over the summer and won't turn 19 until after the season is over. He's one of our younger prospects.

IMO like Miller he is a couple years away. Playing as a regular in the SHL is quite a feat for someone that young but he looks like a sophomore in high school. I think he needs to let his physical development catch up with the rest of his game. Miller OTOH is kind of already there. So I'm not expecting either of them next season--maybe in 20-21. Hopefully both of them are on their respective WJC teams.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Getting to Nils, he's had some serious problems in the D zone in the beginning of this season. And also clearly needs to add a few pounds not to be shoved around defending his position near goal. There's been a few goals against due to him being moved around, or getting overplayed. So in a late close game while in the lead he won't be seeing much ice time right now. On the other hand, he's getting lots of PP time and he does well with that. Not many individual points so far but the team performance is just fine.

I believe also that he'll figure it out soon how to behave in his own zone. He's a smart player and the coaches are very experienced, and also good at developing talents (the D coach doubles as a WJC-20 coach for Sweden).

The need for strength was and continues to be at the top of the list for needing improvement.

His skills are starting to blossom, but the body has not yet caught up.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
A very underrated aspect of prospects. Lundkvist has 2 years on any other player on his team, yet he's a regular.

From the translated interview article above Nils noted a late puberty start (made me think about Netfix's Big Mouth for some reason) . Combining it with how young he still is he will probably get to about 6'1'' with another year / year and a half of growth left in him.

Also, he admittedly tried to do too much to start the season due to his own and external expectations.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I think it's a bit of a mischaracterization to mention that the SHL has "a lot of guys who have significant NHL experience" without mentioning that most of them also have even more extensive AHL experience, because they were never good enough to really stick in the NHL (or left for other reasons).

Take a look at the top 30 scorers in the SHL at the moment, that have NHL/AHL experience:

Jacob Josefson: 315 NHL games, 60 AHL games
Nick Sorenson: 5 NHL games, 48 AHL games
Joakim Lindstrom: 150 NHL games, 200 AHL games
Oscar Moller: 87 NHL games, 110 AHL games
Aaron Palushaj: 68 NHL games, 343 AHL games
Mattias Tedenby: 120 NHL games, 126 AHL games
Joe Whitney: 5 NHL games, 450 AHL games
Derek Roy: 738 NHL games, 101 AHL games
Lukas Bengtsson: 0 NHL games, 53 AHL games
Michael Keranen: 1 NHL games, 136 AHL games

Joel Lundqvist: 134 NHL games, 48 AHL games
Spencer Abbott: 2 NHL games, 273 AHL games
Ryan Gunderson: 0 NHL games, 77 AHL games, 156 ECHL games
Matt Bailey: 0 NHL games, 135 NHL games, 6 ECHL games
Jonathan Sigalet: 1 NHL game, 354 AHL games

So exactly 15 of the top 30 scorers in the SHL currently have NHL/AHL experience. Only three of them have substantially more NHL experience than AHL experience (bold). 9 of them have overwhelmingly more AHL (and even ECHL) experience than NHL experience (italics). 3 guys are fringe NHL/AHL players. So, just from this list, I only see three guys I would honestly characterize as having "significant NHL experience" and be comfortable leaving out the part where they also spent an equal amount or way more time playing in the NHL.

My point being, if we label a guy as an NHLer or AHLer based on where they spent the majority of their time, this sample of SHL players would actually indicate to me that the SHL is loaded with players that were AHLers in North America, and also some guys that were NHL players in North America. Plus a few fringe guys.

Of course, this doesn't take into account role players, or defensive defensemen, who wouldn't be atop a scoring leader board. However, If you found a way to isolate those guys, I don't see why the results would be any different.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Can you guys read this, most articles from this paper is behind a paywall but this was available to me:
Google Translate

Under 10 minutes of ice time and all donuts in the statsheet tonight. I am not worried, his time will come.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Looooong interview in the local newspaper Kuriren today, courtesy of Google Translate (with some minor corrections):

"Will not be able to graduate for a while"

He came from nowhere and hit through one evening. Since then, Nils Lundkvist has experienced a year that he himself hardly dreamed of dreaming about. The sport has met Luleå Hockey's gold clump telling him about the hysteria around him, all successes, the dip in form this fall and the lack of being just the "18-year-old boy from Pitholm".

Simon Jakobsson

13: 14 | 2018-10-16

18-year-old Nils Lundkvist receives Kuriren Sport in his apartment in Luleå.

His apartment is newly renovated and all the gadgets are well laid out in their places. The driving license book is on the desk, the pillows on the couch are well-drained and well-stocked in the living room sofa and the kitchen is sparkling clean. He has lived here since the fall of 2016 when he moved to Luleå to study economics programs with a focus on ice hockey.

"There was a change," says Nils Lundkvist, when he is sitting on the couch, thinking back on how the SHL debut against Malmö on October 26, 2017 changed his future.

Source: www.kuriren.nu/sport/100-hockey/kommer-inte-kunna-ta-examen-pa-ett-tag-nm4940409.aspx
I too, take the milk pillow back home from work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ColonialsHockey10

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
7:47 TOI as the 7th D-man. Nothing to worry about yet as Ola says, his game wasn't clicking to start the season hopefully it picks up soon.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I too, take the milk pillow back home from work.

A5yuTxhCUAA82jn.jpg:large

url

url

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He grew 7 inches between October 2016 and August 2017. Kids that do a lot of sports can have their growth delayed a bit and then it comes in spurts.

Some guys are physically mature when they are 14-15, others 19-20. Lundkvist is a very good hockey player already, just came of a strong SHL season and a very good U18 WJC. He is still growing into his body and game at this level. He can play two more U20 WJCs, hopefully he gets in this year. He has a good shot if he can pick it up. Let him play at least two more full years for Luleå.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Luleå has had issues this season too, they're not clicking as a team apart from their top line. Once the team figures it out i'm sure Lunkvist will aswell.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I think it's a bit of a mischaracterization to mention that the SHL has "a lot of guys who have significant NHL experience" without mentioning that most of them also have even more extensive AHL experience, because they were never good enough to really stick in the NHL (or left for other reasons).

Take a look at the top 30 scorers in the SHL at the moment, that have NHL/AHL experience:

Jacob Josefson: 315 NHL games, 60 AHL games
Nick Sorenson: 5 NHL games, 48 AHL games
Joakim Lindstrom: 150 NHL games, 200 AHL games
Oscar Moller: 87 NHL games, 110 AHL games
Aaron Palushaj: 68 NHL games, 343 AHL games
Mattias Tedenby: 120 NHL games, 126 AHL games
Joe Whitney: 5 NHL games, 450 AHL games
Derek Roy: 738 NHL games, 101 AHL games
Lukas Bengtsson: 0 NHL games, 53 AHL games
Michael Keranen: 1 NHL games, 136 AHL games

Joel Lundqvist: 134 NHL games, 48 AHL games
Spencer Abbott: 2 NHL games, 273 AHL games
Ryan Gunderson: 0 NHL games, 77 AHL games, 156 ECHL games
Matt Bailey: 0 NHL games, 135 NHL games, 6 ECHL games
Jonathan Sigalet: 1 NHL game, 354 AHL games

So exactly 15 of the top 30 scorers in the SHL currently have NHL/AHL experience. Only three of them have substantially more NHL experience than AHL experience (bold). 9 of them have overwhelmingly more AHL (and even ECHL) experience than NHL experience (italics). 3 guys are fringe NHL/AHL players. So, just from this list, I only see three guys I would honestly characterize as having "significant NHL experience" and be comfortable leaving out the part where they also spent an equal amount or way more time playing in the NHL.

My point being, if we label a guy as an NHLer or AHLer based on where they spent the majority of their time, this sample of SHL players would actually indicate to me that the SHL is loaded with players that were AHLers in North America, and also some guys that were NHL players in North America. Plus a few fringe guys.

Of course, this doesn't take into account role players, or defensive defensemen, who wouldn't be atop a scoring leader board. However, If you found a way to isolate those guys, I don't see why the results would be any different.

I would suggest a lot of Swedes would prefer to play back home than in a 2nd tier league in NA. The money is pretty similar I think between the AHL and SHL.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I would suggest a lot of Swedes would prefer to play back home than in a 2nd tier league in NA. The money is pretty similar I think between the AHL and SHL.

A high paid SHLer makes about 400-500k and AHL traveling is pretty bad. Don’t think anyone play in the AHL to make a living.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
A high paid SHLer makes about 400-500k and AHL traveling is pretty bad. Don’t think anyone play in the AHL to make a living.
Joe Whitney, who is on the list above that I posted, made about $350K for us last season in Hartford, IIRC. The top AHL veterans can definitely earn a good living and often times end up getting multiple NHL 2-way contracts throughout their careers, where even just getting called up for a few games can earn them tens of thousands more. There aren't that many guys that go that route--a lot will eventually try their hands in Europe--but if you enjoy playing hockey, are really good at the AHL level, and don't mind the travel, you can definitely make a few million over a career.

Reactions: Ola
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad