Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #28 - Nils Lundkvist (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would suggest a lot of Swedes would prefer to play back home than in a 2nd tier league in NA. The money is pretty similar I think between the AHL and SHL.
Of course. But that wasn't my point. My point was that the SHL isn't littered with a bunch of guys that had long and illustrious NHL careers; it has some of those guys, but the guys with North American professional experience that are there are generally guys that spent the majority of their career in the AHL, not the NHL.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Of course. But that wasn't my point. My point was that the SHL isn't littered with a bunch of guys that had long and illustrious NHL careers; it has some of those guys, but the guys with North American professional experience that are there are generally guys that spent the majority of their career in the AHL, not the NHL.

Things have changed with the KHL snatching many of the high caliber guys outside the NHL.

But the SHL is still a very professional league. I think most SHL are even more professionally run than NHL teams. They don’t have the limitations of the CBA and fewer games. There is never any tanking and, I think, less turnover on the roster. More long term approach.

So the challenges are different.

I also think in general SHLers do much better in the AHL than AHLers does in the SHL — and by a quite large margin too. But it don’t quite show in stats since SHL of course handpick the top 10/15/20 AHL guys they can get their hands on that they feel will fit perfectly in the SHL and the the team in question while the SHLers that go to the AHL basically never go to a team for which they have been picked to perform.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I'm well aware of what league he plays in. I went to the league website to find these stats.

I don't think their point was that you honestly didn't know what league he is in. Their point was that you ignored this fact when providing your analysis and you don't understand how to properly take that context into account because you already formed an opinion.

He's not even taking regular shifts. Not exactly what you'd like to see from a first round pick.

Case in point. Why is this case in point? See the post that came a little after yours for the Boq comparison.

Also, again, SHL, 18 years old.

Last edited:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Luleå has ridiculous injury problems at F so Lundkvist playing an unsual role today… Didn't Catch the 1st period but he got ~3min TOI there, saw the 2nd though where he got plenty of shifts and played well, drew a penalty towards the end... He does look a bit lost sometimes which is expected given he's a D-man playing wing but overall played well…

Cool line with Noel Gunles on the other wing, just had his 17th birthday and i absolutely tearing it up this season, 12+12 in 14 games in SuperElit and now 1+1 in 5 periods in SHL, big riser in the 2020 draft.

Reactions: Ola and Sarge13

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Luleå has ridiculous injury problems at F so Lundkvist playing an unsual role today… Didn't Catch the 1st period but he got ~3min TOI there, saw the 2nd though where he got plenty of shifts and played well, drew a penalty towards the end... He does look a bit lost sometimes which is expected given he's a D-man playing wing but overall played well…

Cool line with Noel Gunles on the other wing, just had his 17th birthday and i absolutely tearing it up this season, 12+12 in 14 games in SuperElit and now 1+1 in 5 periods in SHL, big riser in the 2020 draft.

Noel Gunler finished 1+1. I’ve not seen him play but I have played against his dad and uncle (Joakim and Jacob Gunler, I think they are family at least but EP isn’t showing it. They look a like and both were named Gunler and played for the same team, but who knows). They were really good players, especially Joakim. That generation of players were pretty tough even if the Gunlers were really talented. They had Thomas Holmstroms bro too on the same team.

Seems like an interesting kid to follow, wouldn’t surprise me if he is a bit atypical for a Swede given his bloodlines. Should have a lot of killer instinct.

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea

The first period especially his line played really well and Nils was behind two-three good scoring opportunities. Created some also later in the game but then they were in the lead 3-1 already so focus was more on not letting anything in. Overall a surprisingly good job as a forward, he'd probably make it to WJC-20 in that role as well if he'd continue playing like that :yo:

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I can’t be the only one that finds it weird that people are celebrating his play as a forward, even if it was good.

We just drafted this guy in the first round as a defenseman...

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I can’t be the only one that finds it weird that people are celebrating his play as a forward, even if it was good.

We just drafted this guy in the first round as a defenseman...

yeah, and what was the point of these players staying and developing in Europe where they don't even get regular icetime? We should have drafted Serron Noel instead or at least Veleno. I don't like undersized Dmen, and especially don't like spending 1st or 2nd round picks on them.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
yeah, and what was the point of these players staying and developing in Europe where they don't even get regular icetime? We should have drafted Serron Noel instead or at least Veleno. I don't like undersized Dmen, and especially don't like spending 1st or 2nd round picks on them.
Yeah that Ryan Ellis guy really sucks

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It was one bleeping game as a forward because Luleå has like a gazillion forwards injured. But of course 2 of the most uninformed posters has to come in here and give us their wisdom about the small euro D-man they never wanted us to draft, smh.

Versatility and adaptability are terrible qualities. Bust

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
It was one bleeping game as a forward because Luleå has like a gazillion forwards injured. But of course 2 of the most uninformed posters has to come in here and give us their wisdom about the small euro D-man they never wanted us to draft, smh.

I sincerely hope this wasn’t directed at me..

Have no problem with them drafting a smaller player, or one that plays in Europe. Just because I’m not celebrating our first round pick being asked to switch positions doesn’t mean I’m “uninformed” or never wanted us to draft him. Relax - I could see your blood pressure shooting up just from reading your message.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I sincerely hope this wasn’t directed at me..

Have no problem with them drafting a smaller player, or one that plays in Europe. Just because I’m not celebrating our first round pick being asked to switch positions doesn’t mean I’m “uninformed” or never wanted us to draft him. Relax - I could see your blood pressure shooting up just from reading your message.

You make a snarky remark and then you play victim when you are being replied in kind?

Reactions: haveandare

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
You make a snarky remark and then you play victim when you are being replied in kind?
Maybe I missed something, I didn't see a snarky remark at all from him. Even though I disagreed with his comment, I understand the reasonable anxiety that likely fueled it and I thought he presented it in a reasonable way.

I also did not think you meant him as one of the "uninformed" posters. I have not seen him leave volcanic, scorching hot takes pulled from everyone elses' "Terribly illogical idea" discard pile. Can't speak for some other people with posts on this page..buuuuut I am not identifying the mastermind/individual behind the bench so to speak.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Maybe I missed something, I didn't see a snarky remark at all from him. Even though I disagreed with his comment, I understand the reasonable anxiety that likely fueled it and I thought he presented it in a reasonable way.

I also did not think you meant him as one of the "uninformed" posters. I have not seen him leave volcanic, scorching hot takes pulled from everyone elses' "Terribly illogical idea" discard pile. Can't speak for some other people with posts on this page..buuuuut I am not identifying the mastermind/individual behind the bench so to speak.

I’m a side observer as well and the original post where Lundkvist’s play at forward was explained with a context provided about the injury situation on the team. After this the poster who is kind enough to watch the game and give us a report (as we are all starving for fresh updates on the overseas prospects) noted a couple of good plays, again, in the context of unfamiliar position. I failed to see any undue “celebration” in that report.

Reactions: haveandare

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
I’m a side observer as well and the original post where Lundkvist’s play at forward was explained with a context provided about the injury situation on the team. After this the poster who is kind enough to watch the game and give us a report (as we are all starving for fresh updates on the overseas prospects) noted a couple of good plays, again, in the context of unfamiliar position. I failed to see any undue “celebration” in that report.
As OP, the things I wanted to emphasize with that post was how well he adapted to the situation, and also that he showed both versatility and perhaps most importantly the skating skills and IQ needed to be a functional forward in SHL with virtually no training. It's not an easy job to do at this level but he fared really well. Of course, in the long run it'd be useless for his development to play on the wing and everyone knows that, but that's not going to happen either. This was a stop gap solution before they can get another Superelite player up to the pro team, or an injured player back. The last piece about WJC was a joke that perhaps some looked a bit too seriously upon... :scared:

Anyway, since he's started the series somewhat below expectations, this might give a confidence boost and help to raise his standards in his natural inhabitant. Still, it's obvious that he needs to add a few more pounds to become a top D in SHL and eventually (we wish) in NHL. Hopefully that'll come with age. In the meantime everything that adds skills and experience to the CV will be a good thing really no matter what.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Lundkvist playing forward wasn't a punishment because of failings as a defenseman, it was because his team was desperate for forwards.

The fact that the youngest player on the team was trusted enough to play a completely different position and performed well should be something to smile about, not fret about.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Lundkvist playing forward wasn't a punishment because of failings as a defenseman, it was because his team was desperate for forwards.

The fact that the youngest player on the team was trusted enough to play a completely different position and performed well should be something to smile about, not fret about.

Fair, and we can agree to disagree here. I’d rather read that they liked his play enough as a defenseman so they kept him at his normal position. :)

And that doesn’t make me snarky or uninformed (I know this wasn’t you!). I’m still a Lundkvist fan, and I’m still very much supportive of our first round picks this year.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Why are people having a cow over this? It's called being a team player. Would you rather he go to the Swedish media and give an Odell Beckham interview that because of injuries his team is letting him down? ;)P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->