Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #22 - K'Andre Miller (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
Big, big fan of the pick. I'm wondering if Miller was a back up plan for Merkley. I don't think anybody excepted SJ to take him at 21, and the Rangers traded up for Miller immediately after.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I love this pick, only wish he was a RHS. Size, speed, toughness, high character guy. He's going to be an NHLer. Upside may not be huge offensively, but he's going to play.

I think he goes the junior route and then minor pro. College only helps him bulk up, but the Rangers should get a head of that and put him on a strength training program from now till the fall. The more reps the better, f*** his education he's a hockey player.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Because they really are not similar players. Doig was a decent skater but nothing special. Doig's athleticism was never anywhere near Miller's level. The only similar things are a mediocre offensive skillset and that both are black guys. I don't really see the comparison at all.

Miller is an elite skater and an elite athlete.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Would have prefered Veleno or Wilde but his size combined with his athleticism is certainly interesting. Hey atleast we have a shot of Wilde tomorrow. As for the trade I'm not a fan of moving up in drafts, and I think the price might of been a bit steep but if this is the guy they really wanted it is fine.

Would you still prefer Wilde now that Wilde is a second rounder?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I love this pick, only wish he was a RHS. Size, speed, toughness, high character guy. He's going to be an NHLer. Upside may not be huge offensively, but he's going to play.

I think he goes the junior route and then minor pro. College only helps him bulk up, but the Rangers should get a head of that and put him on a strength training program from now till the fall. The more reps the better, **** his education he's a hockey player.
I agree, but just because I don’t love Wisconsin for defensemen. He’s also so raw that I’d prefer him to get more games in juniors than he’s going to get in college

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Because they really are not similar players. Doig was a decent skater but nothing special. Doig's athleticism was never anywhere near Miller's level. The only similar things are a mediocre offensive skillset and that both are black guys. I don't really see the comparison at all.

Doig, really? (Not you, Jon)

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

I remember football references with Doig as well and both are big and physical. Doig was also a high draft pick.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I agree, but just because I don’t love Wisconsin for defensemen. He’s also so raw that I’d prefer him to get more games in juniors than he’s going to get in college

Exactly, he just started playing defense. You get him as many minutes as possible and the experience that he needs.

The last time the Rangers took a defenseman that was raw, didn't play high level competitive hockey till he was 15, was Dylan McIlrath.

Goes to show you the athleticism Miller has to crack the USNDP with limited experience. Bulk up over the summer, go to Saskatoon, and play 30 minutes a night.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
McKenzie knows his draft stuff. His last podcast from last week broke it down perfectly.

He had Kotkaniemi going to the Habs at #3. He said Zadina would slide. Hayton may move into the top 10.

He wrote this earlier this week.

Centre Barrett Hayton of the Soo Greyhounds, at No. 11, and Russian winger Vitali Kravtsov, at No. 12, were the only other players to get a vote in the top five.

If a top-10 team is looking for a centre, and Kotkaniemi is gone, Hayton could easily crash the top 10.

This draft was always going to be wildly unpredictable outside of the top 10 but what has become evident is how much potential variance there is from what we thought we knew earlier in the season.

https://www.tsn.ca/kc-1.1115400

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Serious question: If Miller was so talented then why would someone think he needed to be converted to defense? Why wouldn't he have continued to just be a promising forward prospect?

Reactions: EssEmmEll

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Serious question: If Miller was so talented then why would someone think he needed to be converted to defense? Why wouldn't he have continued to just be a promising forward prospect?
Serious question: If [Dustin Byfuglien or Brent Burns] was so talented then why would someone think he needed to be converted to defense? Why wouldn't he have continued to just be a promising forward?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Because while big and fast forwards are nice, big and fast defenders are coveted just as much. Bigger impact on the game. If he is a top 4 guy, 20+ minutes a night. Middle 6 forward? He gets 14-16 a night. More ice time, bigger impact.

Guy looks like a horse out there. We all loved Skjei coming up and I think we're going to be doing the same here.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Serious question: If [Dustin Byfuglien or Brent Burns] was so talented then why would someone think he needed to be converted to defense? Why wouldn't he have continued to just be a promising forward?

Not the same. Those players played both positions before being drafted, they weren't already exclusively defensemen. And both played both positions in the NHL, before sticking with defense. Miller's been a Dman for the last 2 (or is it 3) seasons. No one's talking about him playing forward in the NHL.

I hear converted to defense and I have visions of Matt Gilroy and Thomas Poek...and it does not give me the warm and fuzzies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Gorton said he’s not necessarily looking for guys who can play next year. I absolutely love this pick and it’s exactly what I wanted to see.

Swing for the fences. That’s what this pick was.

We might have drafted the best “athlete” in the draft. He’s a physical specimen who has character and talent.

I’ll take this over the safe pick any day of the week in the late 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad