Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #22 - K'Andre Miller (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
So many solid guys avail. Wilde was the obvious one but Mcleod Drury Addison Groulx Akil Thomas Hallander Olafsson Gustafsson Tychonick Marchenko and then even Rodrigue who was the top goalie prospect if you really needed the top goalie prospect.

The puck was just so dumb.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
K'Andre was high on NYR's board. He wasn't going to be available at 28 where they picked Lundkvist since the Ducks (and likely Wild) were going to take him after the Ottawa pick. If you know that information and the player is high on your board, the trade is perfectly reasonable.

Moving up to get him was never dumb. What they spent is the only questionable part.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
From what I remember Gordie Clarke saying after the draft, the rangers were shocked he was still on the board. When they found out that Anaheim and Minnesota were prepared to grab him, they figured it was just too good a player to pass up at that spot so they traded up. They did not expect him to be within trade-up range. They were observant, and jumped on the opportunity to grab a player they truly believe will be a difference maker. Great reaction and great execution by Gorton there.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So many solid guys avail. Wilde was the obvious one but Mcleod Drury Addison Groulx Akil Thomas Hallander Olafsson Gustafsson Tychonick Marchenko and then even Rodrigue who was the top goalie prospect if you really needed the top goalie prospect.

The puck was just so dumb.

Are you talking about Miller?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
K'Andre was high on NYR's board. He wasn't going to be available at 28 where they picked Lundkvist since the Ducks (and likely Wild) were going to take him after the Ottawa pick. If you know that information and the player is high on your board, the trade is perfectly reasonable.

Moving up to get him was never dumb. What they spent is the only questionable part.

The cost of 2nd round pick is usually 4-5 spots, so Gorton slightly overpaid. The problem was that Dubas shortly after accepted much less value to move down in the deal with St. Louis.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
No I’m talking about lindbom

You walk out of that draft with Kravstov Miller Lundkvist and sayyyyyyy Akil Thomas then you also walk away with Joey Keane

Forget it the draft looks ridiculous

I think we're still walkin away pretty rock solid, and I don't even mind taking a goalie where they did, I just would have wanted it to be Skarek.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We passed on rodrigue and skarek who were definitely higher prospects although the whole goalie crop in 18 sucked. Wouldn’t have taken one till 4th or 5th round and it would have been akira Schmid for me a guy who I would have taken the flier on.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The cost of 2nd round pick is usually 4-5 spots, so Gorton slightly overpaid. The problem was that Dubas shortly after accepted much less value to move down in the deal with St. Louis.
My opinion of it is this: Per Carp, it was known the Ducks wanted Miller at 23, and I think it's safe to assume the Wild would go for him at 24. Since the Rangers were very high on him, and they knew that potentially two consecutive teams in the draft order were going to take him, and wouldn't be available at 26, you gotta overpay a little to make sure you move up to get your guy.

If they were moving up for the sake of moving up to get a better guy, and didn't have info that other teams were going to take your guy, then it's not worth it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
From what I remember Gordie Clarke saying after the draft, the rangers were shocked he was still on the board. When they found out that Anaheim and Minnesota were prepared to grab him, they figured it was just too good a player to pass up at that spot so they traded up. They did not expect him to be within trade-up range. They were observant, and jumped on the opportunity to grab a player they truly believe will be a difference maker. Great reaction and great execution by Gorton there.

It was in one of the draft exclusive videos, but they initially tried to move up to 18 to get him.

McKenzie said that one team had him as high as #10. That team was probably us.

Reactions: TheKingsCourt

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
My opinion of it is this: Per Carp, it was known the Ducks wanted Miller at 23, and I think it's safe to assume the Wild would go for him at 24. Since the Rangers were very high on him, and they knew that potentially two consecutive teams in the draft order were going to take him, and wouldn't be available at 26, you gotta overpay a little to make sure you move up to get your guy.

If they were moving up for the sake of moving up to get a better guy, and didn't have info that other teams were going to take your guy, then it's not worth it.

This is also why the price was higher than it was for St Louis moving up because of the team initiating the trade.

Rangers moved up from 26 to 22 by giving up a 2nd rounder
Blues moved up from 29 to 25 by giving up a 3rd rounder

In our case, the imitating team (Rangers) wanted to move up, driving the price up.
In the case of Blues pick, the initiating team (Maple Leafs) wanted to move down, costing a lower pick for the team moving up.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If he keeps up his production for the whole year you really do have to look hard at him perhaps being a point producer at the NHL level. Sure it doesn't always translate but the NCAA isn't a league where it's easy to put up points at that age without it being an indicator of some skills. I think as always the key will be how he continues to develop. Some guys plateau early, others keep developing or develop late.

I'd be much more "wait and see" when it comes to production if this was juniors, but on the other hand I guess " wait and see how it pans out over his whole season"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad