Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #22 - K'Andre Miller (D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I always thought he had a good shot that he needed to use more often.

But I think that will come with time as he continues to get comfortable with the position. Right now he’s concentrating on learning the position - the reads, the reactions, playing the puck under pressure, etc.

Because of that, I have a funny feeling he could be one of those kids who really starts to put it all together after he turns pro.

He’s an amazing athlete, and you have to accept the learning process for right now. In some ways it’s like watching someone who has amazing artistic talent, but is still very early in their training.

The excitement with Miller isn’t because he’s blowing the world away at 18, even though he’s been very good. The excitement is because of the belief that if he’s this good now, how good can he be with more experience, confidence and comfort?

That’s what makes him incredibly intriguing for the Rangers, and one of the big reasons he was one of the most talked about players heading into the draft.
From the two periods I saw tonight, I think he had at least 4 shot attempts and made a few good passes from the point, and with about 90 seconds left in the game he was at the point calling for the puck from everyone who got it. He looked really poised out there pretty much the whole time, it was like this was his 3rd-4th college season instead of his first game.

He did have a bad(ish) pinch where he tried to be the 4th man joining the rush and the puck ended up going the other way for a BC 2 on 1 (might have even been just a 1 on 1), but the puck carrier tried to cut to the middle of the ice while Miller was getting back into the play, and he ended up getting a shot off like half a second before Miller got to him.

I’m sure he’ll have some rough games here and there, but like you said, if this is what he looks like now, the sky is absolutely the limit for him. I’m really impressed by him

Reactions: pblawr

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
From the two periods I saw tonight, I think he had at least 4 shot attempts and made a few good passes from the point, and with about 90 seconds left in the game he was at the point calling for the puck from everyone who got it. He looked really poised out there pretty much the whole time, it was like this was his 3rd-4th college season instead of his first game.

He did have a bad(ish) pinch where he tried to be the 4th man joining the rush and the puck ended up going the other way for a BC 2 on 1 (might have even been just a 1 on 1), but the puck carrier tried to cut to the middle of the ice while Miller was getting back into the play, and he ended up getting a shot off like half a second before Miller got to him.

I’m sure he’ll have some rough games here and there, but like you said, if this is what he looks like now, the sky is absolutely the limit for him. I’m really impressed by him

Personally, I think Miller has the highest upside of all our defensive prospects.

I don’t think his floor is as high as Hajek, and Keane is obviously the riser, but I don’t think anyone has the potential upside that Miller has if he puts the majority of the pieces together.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I remember not being super high on him initially. Then I saw Mitch Brown's tracking data thing, and being blown away at just how good his numbers were over the 8 game sample size. He could be great for us if he progresses well

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Totally happy with this pick from day 1. Character and tremendous athletic ability. In a draft where we had three first round picks this was a very good pick. Heck even without the Tampa pick this was still a good pick. We heard a lot last year that the Rangers needed to go boom or bust well this kid has boom potential. The only thing is that it may take 3-4 years to see it on broadway.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I remember not being super high on him initially. Then I saw Mitch Brown's tracking data thing, and being blown away at just how good his numbers were over the 8 game sample size. He could be great for us if he progresses well

If we can just be patient with some of these kids, the potential is there.

This organization has not had this many legit prospects and young talent in more than 25 years. Depending on how the TDL and draft work out, we’ll be that much closer to that high water mark by this time next year.

Reactions: jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Totally happy with this pick from day 1. Character and tremendous athletic ability. In a draft where we had three first round picks this was a very good pick. Heck even without the Tampa pick this was still a good pick. We heard a lot last year that the Rangers needed to go boom or bust well this kid has boom potential. The only thing is that it may take 3-4 years to see it on broadway.

For me, the 2018 draft was really about longer term planning. I worry we got a little spoiled by 2017.

But Miller, Lundkvist, and to a lesser extent guys like Kravtsov, Lindbom, Ragnarsson and Keane, are all about that 2021-23 wave of talent.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Personally, I think Miller has the highest upside of all our defensive prospects.

I don’t think his floor is as high as Hajek, and Keane is obviously the riser, but I don’t think anyone has the potential upside that Miller has if he puts the majority of the pieces together.
If they all even just get in the neighborhoods of their ceilings
Miller-Lundkvist
Hajek-Keane
looks like a hell of a top 4 you can set in stone for x years. And that’s not even mentioning a bunch of the other pretty promising defensemen in the organization

Reactions: Rongomania

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I also just want to point out that at some point this season chances are Miller (at least 6’3”) and Dhooghe (5’3”) are going to be on the ice at the same time when a goal is scored, and they’re going to hug and it’s going to look insane

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
That's a good goal. Gets the puck. Puts his head up. Takes his space. Wires a shot.

K'Andre has boom potential, and I'm here for it.

This post makes me very happy. Between @Machinehead taking a liking to Howden and now you seeing Miller’s potential as a boom prospect, we might just get both of you on board with this rebuild after all.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Same here, but then last night they pronounced it as Key-Andre Miller.

Really, interesting. I didn't have the headphones on for the game so I never noticed. Back in the USHL/NTDP they'd say Kay. Now I'm not certain. :laugh:

This also happened last year when I watched a few Pack games late in the year but didn't listen. It wasn't until this year I learned Bigras was Bee-grah. I was saying it in my head as Big-rass. LOL.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's totally going to be a Tyrod Taylor thing where people say his name one way for a decade or more and then suddenly he says that's not how his name is pronounced.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
For me, the 2018 draft was really about longer term planning. I worry we got a little spoiled by 2017.

But Miller, Lundkvist, and to a lesser extent guys like Kravtsov, Lindbom, Ragnarsson and Keane, are all about that 2021-23 wave of talent.

It depends on development curve. This is in no way a prediction or a hype-up, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Miller come out of school after two years, a la McAvoy, and be on the team. That would be 2020-21. I also wouldn’t be surprised if he stayed in school for three or four.

I also expect Keane to be out of juniors the same year, but the difference is that I don’t think Miller comes out of school unless he’s NHL ready. Keane will leave juniors even if it means being in Hartford.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
It depends on development curve. This is in no way a prediction or a hype-up, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Miller come out of school after two years, a la McAvoy, and be on the team. That would be 2020-21. I also wouldn’t be surprised if he stayed in school for three or four.

I also expect Keane to be out of juniors the same year, but the difference is that I don’t think Miller comes out of school unless he’s NHL ready. Keane will leave juniors even if it means being in Hartford.
I’ve been thinking Keane gets to Hartford next year, it doesn’t feel like the Rangers are super into sending kids back for their overage years in juniors

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I’ve been thinking Keane gets to Hartford next year, it doesn’t feel like the Rangers are super into sending kids back for their overage years in juniors

There isn't a single prospect in the Rangers organization who played in Juniors for less than 2 years after draft eligibility. Keep in mind that Fontaine and Crawley were older draft picks (Fontaine was 19, Crawley 20).

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I always thought he had a good shot that he needed to use more often.

But I think that will come with time as he continues to get comfortable with the position. Right now he’s concentrating on learning the position - the reads, the reactions, playing the puck under pressure, etc.

Because of that, I have a funny feeling he could be one of those kids who really starts to put it all together after he turns pro.

He’s an amazing athlete, and you have to accept the learning process for right now. In some ways it’s like watching someone who has amazing artistic talent, but is still very early in their training.

The excitement with Miller isn’t because he’s blowing the world away at 18, even though he’s been very good. The excitement is because of the belief that if he’s this good now, how good can he be with more experience, confidence and comfort?

That’s what makes him incredibly intriguing for the Rangers, and one of the big reasons he was one of the most talked about players heading into the draft.

I agree, and absolutely loved the pick. Prior to the draft I heard there was greater interest in Miller, Foudy, and Dellandra than wTat the rankings had them at. I was curious what 3 months of training post-draft would bring him too.

Wisconsin is known for their athletic training program, so I expect him to be mature physically by years end... which will help him turn pro faster. But if he has a Trouba like D+1 Year... and I'm sure he can.... then you really have to consider if he's a one and done.

The athleticism is off the charts good, same with Foudy. These guys have physical gifts that have yet to develop, but if the game makes sense to them, their reads, coverage, decision making... then you've got a very good pro in the making.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The thing that always impressed me most about Miller was how good his reads were despite not having played the position for very long. Couple that with his athleticism and wing span and he could be an absolute monster on the blue line for a long time.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
There isn't a single prospect in the Rangers organization who played in Juniors for less than 2 years after draft eligibility. Keep in mind that Fontaine and Crawley were older draft picks (Fontaine was 19, Crawley 20).
Keane was also drafted in his second year of eligibility. So it seems unlikely that the organization would want him in juniors beyond this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad