OT: 2018 NFL Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Yes. Trying to put one more winner around Eli was a mistake.
Except saquon is already on his way to being a generational talent while the jury is still out on every qb not named Mayfield from that draft.

I highly doubt the Giants end up in a late '00's Vikings situation.

And what would you propose they should have done with Eli last season if they had gone qb? What would he have realistically returned on the open market? I doubt much more then they fetched for Beckham. Standing behind that offensive line with no Barkley and obj out a fair portion of the year would have gotten a rookie question mark killed.

And yeah, Eli was still good enough to win, it was the team around him that blew.

Last edited:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Yeah Giants fans still really get to take the high road on anything after Josh Brown. You're confusing John Mara with Wellington Mara, he really wouldn't put up with the off-field crap...at least not outside of LT, but stars do get a double standard - welcome to the NFL. Newsflash: I've never disputed they're 'less tarnished' than the Jets off the field. But they aren't the untarnished paragon of virtue people had them as a few years ago either and some like you still believe they are.

It's not like the Giants would have known Holmes or Wilkerson would have died after getting their money, the Giants themselves had plenty of guys spit the bit after getting big deals.
Guess who else Josh Brown (very briefly) played for?

Regardless, he was released the following year due to the arrest.

But at the end of the day you're somewhat correct, the Giants are not a paragon of virtue. I just believe they operate in a more responsible fashion in a lot of these matters than most of the league.

Whichever Mara is at the helm, you know the same can't be said for the Jets for at least 20 years now. And it's disappointing.

Anyways, it looks like yesterday was salvaged after all given the Barr debacle.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Very happy with that contract for Bell. Perfectly reasonable, and opens up a ton of possibilities for the offense and Sam's growth.

Lots of other holes to fill now, but still plenty of time to do it. Get me a Center and a CB and let's go to work. We'll solve the edge/pass rush issue at the draft most likely with Bosa or Allen. Seems like Murray going #1 to Arizona is likely and the Niners seem to be gearing up for Quinnen Williams with the Dee Ford trade. If Bosa falls to us at #3, run up and grab him!

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The people in this thread complaining about the OBJr return need to understand that the reason the Giants return wasn't a bit better is precisely the same reason the Giants traded him in the first place.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
The people in this thread complaining about the OBJr return need to understand that the reason the Giants return wasn't a bit better is precisely the same reason the Giants traded him in the first place.

It is tough to find players that take up so much of a defenses attention as Beckham did. If this is the best you can do for him in a trade, then you keep him and make him a part of the future. Especially if you look at what the league is now. It's a passing league. It's a QB to WR league.

If the Giants played their cards right they could've drafted Darnold. If they draft Darnold they keep Beckham. Now they need a running back. Running backs are everywhere. They probably would've been in on Bell and could've snagged him. Giants could've been sitting here with Darnold/Beckham/Bell and a real future instead of whatever muddled thing they're doing now

Last edited:
Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
If the Giants played their cards right they could've drafted Darnold. If they draft Darnold they keep Beckham. Now they need a running back. Running backs are everywhere.

You're preaching to the choir on that one. Taking Barkley #2 was monumentally stupid I said at the time. Barkley's a big play back, but it's not a big play back league anymore.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Haskins should be a fine consolation prize. Although I wouldn't put it past Vegas or Tampa to draft him.

Carr isn't one of Gruden's guys and we know how that generally goes.

The real question could be is can Carr or Rosen work for the Giants?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Darnold with this year's Jet 'offense' is like Blackwood with this year's Devils defense. He'll be fine, if they're smart enough to actually get better weapons around him (Bell and Crowder are a good start but they do need another impact WR I think).

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I'm not sold on Darnold TBH. I think this year's QBs (Haskins, Murray, Lock) are better than him.

No. This is a poor QB draft. All three are behind where Darnold was regarded by scouts last season and it's not even debatable.

It's starting to look like Miami and the Giants may pass on the 2019 QB class altogether to go for Tua, or Herbert in 2020. Which would be the smart move.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
No. This is a poor QB draft. All three are behind where Darnold was regarded by scouts last season and it's not even debatable.

It's starting to look like Miami and the Giants may pass on the 2019 QB class altogether to go for Tua, or Herbert in 2020. Which would be the smart move.

I’m not sold on Tua yet. He usually has too much time in the pocket without pressure and he throws against almost exclusively single coverage and defenses designed to stop the run. It’s no surprise that he was outplayed the first time this season he was asked to actually win a game for the lying sack of phony.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I’m not sold on Tua yet. He usually has too much time in the pocket without pressure and he throws against almost exclusively single coverage and defenses designed to stop the run. It’s no surprise that he was outplayed the first time this season he was asked to actually win a game for the lying sack of phony.

That certainly is valid point you bring up

Reactions: My3Sons

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

How is figuring/hoping you'll finish bottom 3 in the league "the smart move"? Especially for dudes like Herbert and Tua?

Nobody wants to hear this, but at the end of the day the jury is still out on Darnold. I watched every single Jets game in 2018 and have no idea why he's being anointed as the savior for any reason other than draft position.

Hope is great, hyperbole not so much.

Last edited:

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
You aren't going to see designed tanks for next season. Good QB class, but not elite.

The following year with Trevor Lawrence though....multiple teams will deliberately tank. We are talking a top pick with <2 wins tank.

Reactions: My3Sons

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
How is figuring/hoping you'll finish bottom 3 in the league "the smart move"? Especially for dudes like Herbert and Tua?

Nobody wants to hear this, but at the end of the day the jury is still out on Darnold. I watched every single Jets game in 2018 and have no idea why he's being anointed as the savior for any reason other than draft position.

I'd still give them the year. Herbert has got an outstanding toolset. The hype will be there for both QB's and while neither will be Luck level, it will be well above Mariota level. I think for someone like Herbert he can have multiple teams fall in love with him and try to step all over each other to get to him.

And I do believe there were reports the Giants were big on Herbert before he decided to return. I'm sure that interest will be rekindled.

Darnold I'm totally sold on. The physical skills are undeniable (but lots of people have those) but also I think his mental understanding of the game at such a very young age is remarkable. His last 4 games especially you can see what a fast learner he is. If he gets even a little bit of support, which he had none of last year, he's going to be a phenom in the league. Also he's got the right attitude, right approach. Nothing phases him. No moment is too big for him

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Giants sign Golden Tate and Marcus Golden.

I'd actually like the Tate if Sterling Shep didn't exist...2 slot WRs....alrighty

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

Because Darnold held his own with a dingbat for a coordinator, a HORRIBLE offensive line, and mediocrity at the skill positions

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Because Darnold held his own with a dingbat for a coordinator, a HORRIBLE offensive line, and mediocrity at the skill positions

I'd reverse the latter two...mediocre offensive line and horrible skill position players.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think the upcoming season is likely to be the last for Drew Brees. The Saints signed Bridgewater for one season to sit on the bench. I’m skeptical they do that if they expected Brees to play beyond the end of his current contract which voids after the upcoming season.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I'd reverse the latter two...mediocre offensive line and horrible skill position players.

That line looked pretty sieve like at times. He took a lot of hits and had to scramble from the pocket very quickly many times. Also the worst center in the league at snapping the football. It's amazing you look at some of those games and he had nothing but Deontay Burnett to throw to. But when you see throws like this from a 21 year old you know things will be just fine

SimilarCourteousBream-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: tr83 and vtdevils2k

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

How exactly do you pull that off, plan on stinking again so bad that you're either the worst or second-worst team in the entire NFL? Trading a king's ransom for a top pick?

Not a very realistic strategy IMO.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Late to the party but, I LOVE the Odell trade.

Great player. But a major pain in the neck.

17th pick is big, but I think Peppers is the key. If he can be a good-very good player then we made out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad