OT: 2018 NFL Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Cooks is two levels below OBJ. So basically all they added to the Cooks return is a third-rounder, a mediocre safety and six spots in the first round. Cooper was looked at as a dissapointment and an overpay at the deadline but instead he came to life outside the black hole.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Cooks is two levels below OBJ. So basically all they added to the Cooks return is a third-rounder, a mediocre safety and six spots in the first round. Cooper was looked at as a dissapointment and an overpay at the deadline but instead he came to life outside the black hole.
And obj is looked at as an injury prone, locker room cancer, who acts like a ghergoff on the field by most informed Giants fans. Perhaps he finds his way with a 2nd year qb and a dude who kicks women in the delightful town we call Cleveland.

Reactions: devilsblood

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And obj is looked at as an injury prone, locker room cancer, who acts like a ghergoff on the field by most informed Giants fans. Perhaps he finds his way with a 2nd year qb and a dude who kicks women in the delightful town we call Cleveland.

We have to differentiate 'cancer' from 'perennial drama king'...there's no real evidence OBJ is a problem in the locker room per se the way Brown was (quitting on his team, posting the social media crap, publicly demanding a trade) other than his pointed comments about Eli earlier this year that caused agita.

Other than that stupid catfight with Josh Norman where did OBJ really ever hurt the team on the field? He never even held out the way everyone was afraid he would before signing his extension. He's just emotionally mercurial and that makes him fresh meat for the NY tabloids.

Last edited:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
We have to differentiate 'cancer' from 'drama king'...there's no real evidence OBJ is a problem in the locker room per se the way Brown was (quitting on his team, posting the social media crap). Other than that stupid catfight with Josh Norman where did OBJ really ever hurt the team on the field? He never even held out the way everyone was afraid he would before signing his extension.
If you don't think that talking trash talking your quarterback to the media while you can't even string together healthy seasons or even solid games is cancerous and despicable then I don't know what to tell you.

Perhaps you've grown too accustomed to gang green culture dude.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Amari Cooper got a late 1st at the trade deadline.

You're welcome.
Dude...that's hysterical. Are you trying to be obtuse?

Is half the WR Odell was and was on AN EXPIRING CONTRACT.

Jesus.

Maybe listen to what the most popular NFL sources are saying about this trade. I'll give you some help since it looks like you don't like to do research: Surprised at the return. Expected 2 firsts and a small plus (pending where the 1st fell).

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you don't think that talking trash talking your quarterback to the media while you can't even string together healthy seasons or even solid games is cancerous and despicable then I don't know what to tell you.

I added that in...that's one instance in five years. If you think him being whiny about Eli when basically 90% of NY feels the same way compares to the stuff Brown was doing (and he also had choice words for Ben, who actually still is a good QB) vaya con dios. His health has zero to do with any of that though. You want to get on him for being injury-prone that's a seperate issue.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
I have no doubt in my mind they could have gotten more from the 49ers. But, much like good ol boy Gettleman refusing to trade Collins within conference at the deadline, he did the same with OBJ.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I have no doubt in my mind they could have gotten more from the 49ers. But, much like good ol boy Gettleman refusing to trade Collins within conference at the deadline, he did the same with OBJ.

Is that really what happened? I'd almost defend him on the Collins one if he was only getting third rounders offered at the deadline since he'll get a third-round compensation pick for him anyway. If he turned down a two for Collins then yeah that's all on Gettleman.

If you're going to take shots at the Jets you aren't even doing it right. Their problems are generally caused by players with 80% of the talent of Odell at best. I'd rather have his 'issues' (not to mention his talent) over Santonio Holmes or Mo Wilkerson, both guys who flat out quit when they got paid, among others. Or Robby Anderson who can barely stay out of jail and is barely half the receiver Odell is.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Is that really what happened? I'd almost defend him on the Collins one if he was only getting third rounders offered at the deadline since he'll get a third-round compensation pick for him anyway. If he turned down a two for Collins then yeah that's all on Gettleman.

If you're going to take shots at the Jets you aren't even doing it right. Their problems are generally caused by players with 80% of the talent of Odell at best. I'd rather have his 'issues' (not to mention his talent) over Santonio Holmes or Mo Wilkerson, both guys who flat out quit when they got paid, among others. Or Robby Anderson who can barely stay out of jail and is barely half the receiver Odell is.
I mean even if we say it was a 3rd...it's a 3rd this year in the middle of the round >> a 3rd next year at the backend.

Also, it isn't a guaranteed 3rd comp pick. Depends on FA signings (but yea, probably).

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It'd be hilarious if that front office exec was in Cleveland :P

Well a great RB but can't argue the rest.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I've given the jets enough time and money that I've earned the right to take as many shots as I feel warranted.

But given this post I feel the need to reiterate that you have a gang green mentality.

Holmes, Wilkerson, and Anderson are unacceptable in the giants organization. As are Vick, cromartie (sp?), keyshawn, Herndon, etc, etc, etc.

I don't need to tell you but here you go anyway: Jets lead NFL in dubious category, and it must change

They tolerated Plax and I thought that was a mistake initially, but I suppose he didn't hurt anyone. Obj is a distraction, always has been. If he had been putting up '16 numbers these past 2 years perhaps he'd get a pass. But what did he do the moment Eli had another target? Stomped his feet, crossed his arms, and cried his way out of town.

Hope your ankles hold up dude. Bye.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I can't really figure out what the Giants are doing, if they have a plan it has seemingly changed a bunched of times in the past few months and continues to be in a state of flux. This is not an elite QB class, but they need a quarterback. They traded an all world receiver and got surprisingly little in return. What's the plan for Eli Manning in 2019? Is Gettleman going to be there long term? Is Shurmur (I don't think highly of him as a coach) it just seems like they're caught in between on everything.

The Zeitler deal was pretty good. Patched up a hole in one spot though they opened one somewhere else. Still for the Giants at that time (last week) keeping Eli upright in order for him to make throws to Beckham and making more space for Barkley seemed like a bigger priority. Now Beckham is gone. They're also going to be operating with something like $33 mil in dead money

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
I mean, hypothetically, I would have traded Beckham for a herschel walker type deal...and this wasn’t even close to that. What in the actual f*** is Gettleman thinking???

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
It'd be hilarious if that front office exec was in Cleveland :P

Well a great RB but can't argue the rest.

It's almost like a baseball team that has a great closer when the rest of the squad is in a state of flux and projected to win 70 games. Or in hockey a great shutdown defenseman. Is it useful, sure of course. But at this point in time it's not going to help at all.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I've given the jets enough time and money that I've earned the right to take as many shots as I feel warranted.

But given this post I feel the need to reiterate that you have a gang green mentality.

Holmes, Wilkerson, and Anderson are unacceptable in the giants organization. As are Vick, cromartie (sp?), keyshawn, Herndon, etc, etc, etc.

I don't need to tell you but here you go anyway: Jets lead NFL in dubious category, and it must change

They tolerated Plax and I thought that was a mistake initially, but I suppose he didn't hurt anyone. Obj is a distraction, always has been. If he had been putting up '16 numbers these past 2 years perhaps he'd get a pass. But what did he do the moment Eli had another target? Stomped his feet, crossed his arms, and cried his way out of town.

Hope your ankles hold up dude. Bye.

Yeah Giants fans still really get to take the high road on anything after Josh Brown. You're confusing John Mara with Wellington Mara, he really wouldn't put up with the off-field crap...at least not outside of LT, but stars do get a double standard - welcome to the NFL. Newsflash: I've never disputed they're 'less tarnished' than the Jets off the field. But they aren't the untarnished paragon of virtue people had them as a few years ago either and some like you still believe they are.

It's not like the Giants would have known Holmes or Wilkerson would have died after getting their money, the Giants themselves had plenty of guys spit the bit after getting big deals.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
13B7EDA9-D3F5-47FC-B9E9-16E0FF912761.jpeg

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
And regarding the Jets, yes Barr used them so that he could squeeze more money out of Minnesota so that he can go back there and go 7-9 &and 8-8 every year with Cousins for the rest of his life. Clearly he didn't want to move he just wanted the Vikings to raise the ante a bit and they did

Mosley and Crowder are very good signings. Osemele is an awesome move.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
And regarding the Jets, yes Barr used them so that he could squeeze more money out of Minnesota so that he can go back there and go 7-9 &and 8-8 every year with Cousins for the rest of his life. Clearly he didn't want to move he just wanted the Vikings to raise the ante a bit and they did

Mosley and Crowder are very good signings. Osemele is an awesome move.
Idk man. Personally, I don't want my guard going on a life changing health kick specifically targeting weight loss...

Back to the Beckham trade, I'll issue a slight retraction. Peppers isn't trash, and I think he'll perform very well in Bettcher's system (as the moneybacker at times). Just watched 2 hours of tape from this season and it was night and day vs how f'n terrible he was his rookie year. So at least there's that, I guess.

Will look into his performance last season a little more as NFL gambling season draws closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->