GDT: 2018 MLB Draft

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Kinda like the Royals draft. I know Singer has his flaws but it was great value. Five picks on day one - all five are college pitchers including Singer's UF roomie. Of course not all will pan out but with the Royals best prospects all basically really young hitters and all in the lower minors, it makes sense to go heavy on college pitchers who can get to at least High A fairly quickly and sync up development-wise with the hitters. Plus the Royals have been as dreadful as anybody when it comes to picking out the right high school arms so I don't blame them for avoiding.

Add in hopefully some additional lower-level prospects for the likes of Herrera and Moose at the deadline and another round of high drafting in 2019 and you can start to make out the faint outlines of potential future success, with good development, down in the lower levels of the system. The next 3-4 seasons at the MLB level are just going to suck though.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Luke Heimlich still has yet to be drafted, I'm honestly wondering if anyone is going to take a flyer on that kid, *shudders*

that would be a massive PR nightmare. i would be furious if my team drafted him

he's very talented but i'd be surprised if he was drafted

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
that would be a massive PR nightmare. i would be furious if my team drafted him

he's very talented but i'd be surprised if he was drafted

Nah they’re saying he’s definitely getting drafted. He’s too good and he was a kid when he committed the crime. It wasn’t expected in the first or second round but second or third day is very likely.

Also, there’s been so significant doubt cast on his guilty plea. His court ordered therapy seems to indicate that he always maintained his innocence, only plead guilty because his lawyer said it was a better option than being wrongly convicted, and that his story seemed credible. Not saying it’s the case but this sort of thing does happen especially with youth accused.

Last edited:

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Nah they’re saying he’s definitely getting drafted. He’s too good and he was a kid when he committed the crime. It wasn’t expected in the first or second round but second or third day is very likely.

Also, there’s been so significant doubt cast on his guilty plea. His court ordered therapy seems to indicate that he always maintained his innocence, only plead guilty because his lawyer said it was a better option than being wrongly convicted, and that his story seemed credible. Not saying it’s the case but this sort of thing does happen especially with youth accused.
Well we are thru day two and no one has drafted him, it sure seems like he is off of everyone's board.

I agree it's a PR nightmare but I also believe that at some point ex-convicts must stop being punished for their crimes, especially those who were minors at the time of the offense.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
He's so Tigers that he's practically grown cat ears.

As a matter of fact, Mize played in high school for the Springville Tigers and in College for the Auburn Tigers. Now he is in the Detroit Tigers system. Murray knows baseball (which we already knew ourselves).

With regard to the other Tigers picks, I am a bit wary of Parker Meadows because of his alleged questionable hit tool. On the other hand, seeing Kody Clemens' stats, his hitting seems to have become better than advertised. The other pitchers are not ranked highly, but I like both the descriptions and their recent performances.

Gruß,
BSHH

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Well we are thru day two and no one has drafted him, it sure seems like he is off of everyone's board.

I agree it's a PR nightmare but I also believe that at some point ex-convicts must stop being punished for their crimes, especially those who were minors at the time of the offense.
You are right on all accounts. However, one has to consider the team chemistry as well. Heimlich will most certainly have teammates with young kids. Being a father myself, I would be extremely uncomfortable (and certainly unfair even) with such a teammate.

Gruß,
BSHH

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Day 2 or 3 was when it was going to happen, and even if he doesn’t he’ll get signed. He’s arguably a top 10 talent who is nearly MLB ready. Yahoo Sports has an article up with comments from GMs who said someone is going to take a chance on him.

It won’t really be a PR nightmare. It’ll be a story for a couple days then no one will care. His records were exposed in error. It’s really stupid that people want to more or less end his life over something he did as a child that supposed to be sealed (and may have not even happened).

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Love that Beck fell to the Braves in the 4th. I've seen some mocks having him go in the early 2nd.

Though, this does help make up for taking Jenista so high.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

2br4yg.jpg

Also Heimlich not drafted.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Thank God Murray signed with the A's.

Would have been really stupid to pursue a career in a sport where the average career is 2.5 seasons and no contracts are fully guaranteed. He has the talent to be an MLB star, no reason to risk it because he might like football more. Could always pull a Weeden if it doesn't work out.

Whats funny is his signing bonus is more than his coach will this year :laugh:

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
NCAA rules permit you to make money in one sport and still be eligible to play the other, its how Brandon Weeden & Russell Wilson played minor league ball before/during their NCAA football careers.

Lol I guess it makes sense, but NCAA rules are as stupid as ever. I kind of remember this with Jeremy Bloom too, I just saw the movie about his sister.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Thank God Murray signed with the A's.

Would have been really stupid to pursue a career in a sport where the average career is 2.5 seasons and no contracts are fully guaranteed. He has the talent to be an MLB star, no reason to risk it because he might like football more. Could always pull a Weeden if it doesn't work out.

Whats funny is his signing bonus is more than his coach will this year :laugh:

he's not going to the NFL with his size. not as a QB at least

still think he's dumb for going back to play football in the fall but oh well. just hope he doesn't get hurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad