2018 Management Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
You're saying it's good the Canucks gave out big money and long-term to two 4th liners, one of whom is in his mid-30's? :laugh:

The defense of this regime has hit an even more ridiculous level than I thought it could, especially after the whole "waaah he's learning" BS.

It is getting ridiculous how far some will go to defend the really poor moves of this management.

When i came onto this board I tried to remain moderate, objective... in the middle. I would support the Benning moves I liked and call out the ones I didn't. I did think the Benning lynch mob went a little too far which caused me to occasionally spar with the likes of you, MS, Tantalum etc. But 4 years in, I have to say you guys were right from day 1. Linden and Benning are in over their heads running and NHL team and have no clear, cohesive plan. They continue to make poor decisions and bad moves. I don't think it can even be debated any longer

This team will not be on the right path until they are removed of their responsibilities. Picking up a few good draft picks while being a bottom team is not enough when all other facets of the job show incompetence. It is hard for me to fathom the ownership doesn't see it and know better.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Found this Benning gem in today’s athletic explaining his rationale for the July 1 binge. Apparently it’s so that we won’t have ANY injuries next season.

What an absolutely insane quote.

There is no correlation between size and suffering injuries. None. For a GM to be claiming this as a reason for $30 million in signings is embarrassing.

Secondly, one of the guys they signed is undersized! And one of the bigger guys is seriously injured right now! It's like this idiot doesn't even know what he signed.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

There is no correlation between size and suffering injuries. None. For a GM to be claiming this as a reason for $30 million in signings is embarrassing.

Secondly, one of the guys they signed is undersized! And one of the bigger guys is seriously injured right now! It's like this idiot doesn't even know what he signed.

I literally don't think @Jyrki21 can come up with things for him to say that is dumber than the things he actually says.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

The local media better brings this tripe up. It's just unbelievable at this point.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
If managements smart they let Stecher go to arbitration, his numbers won’t be kind to his dollar amount

All his agent is probably doing is pointing at the Hutton contract

It's amazing how little negotiating leverage a GM has when he signs every mediocre to awful defencemen to 3-4 million dollar deals with term. I miss Laurence Gilman so much.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
It's amazing how little negotiating leverage a GM has when he signs every mediocre to awful defencemen to 3-4 million dollar deals with term. I miss Laurence Gilman so much.

that bum? He works for the Leafs now, who are WAY worse off then us, so good riddance. Who needs cap space am i right?

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
that bum? He works for the Leafs now, who are WAY worse off then us, so good riddance. Who needs cap space am i right?
Pffffft...and they have that loser Shanahan in the front office and who is that bum behind the bench.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It also can't really be pinned on Gillis. It can be pinned on the league and really Brian Burke who were annoyed GMs used loopholes they didn't like. It was mean spirited retroactive punishment.

Oh, absolutely. Meant it moreso as it's one of the only stamps on the organization remaining from the Gillis era. Everything else from the Sedins to management, coaches, etc. are all gone. The players on the roster except Edler, Tanev (and neither will likely be Canucks next season) Markstrom and Horvat are from Benning. Even holdovers like Brackett and Delorme have been assigned to new positions.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Jake is not eligible for arbitration as he signed his ELC prior to turning 20 and requires four pro seasons.

So what's the holdup then? He can't do any effective bargaining at this stage. He takes the QO or he doesn't.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Umm... Willes has consistently been ripping Canucks management since ownership fired Nonis.Did you fail to follow the discussion again?

It is a joy tearing down yet another wonky post by you FAN. Truly. I'm glad you have afforded me another opportunity to do so here.

[Ed Willes] has been "consistently ripping the Canucks since Nonis"? Hardly. You must not be reading his articles or listening to him anymore. He's been pushing Benning's ability to draft on more than one occasion. Have a look:

Willes: Benning knows the craft of drafting

But we will say that in the big things — and for a GM nothing is bigger than the draft — he’s delivered the goods, which is why the Canucks can sell a future.

Ed Willes: The future Canucks fans have waited for is about to arrive. No, seriously.

But, in terms of quantity and quality, this franchise has never had a group like this, and we haven’t mentioned Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser and whatever it is Jake Virtanen is becoming.

Over to you, FAN.

Reactions: Morenz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad