Not open for further replies.

Puck Ingrate

Aug 18, 2011
MSP / YVR
What we'll see in 2019:

qyhTcN8.jpg

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Trevor said it’s hard to do that. Then the Rangers ended up having 3 first round picks this year and are going to get another one from taking salary to facilitate TB Karlsson trade. They rebuilt in 1 year.

Guess it is possible with a good GM.

It's too bad Trev isn't doing anymore interviews for the summer, would be awesome to ask him if he still believes creating a market and weaponizing cap space isn't possible.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Does anyone here even think the Canucks can reach 73 points this coming season?

Looking at our roster I would probably handicap our point total at 58.5 right now. The Sedins masked a lot of problems offensively last year, not to mention their presence meant opposing teams couldn't simply overload their defensive matchups on the Horvat line. As the only offensive line left, Horvat-Boeser are going to face the toughest matchups every night (how's that for "insulating" these guys? :laugh: )

This could be one of those downright awful years that we've seen some teams have.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Looking at our roster I would probably handicap our point total at 58.5 right now. The Sedins masked a lot of problems offensively last year, not to mention their presence meant opposing teams couldn't simply overload their defensive matchups on the Horvat line. As the only offensive line left, Horvat-Boeser are going to face the toughest matchups every night (how's that for "insulating" these guys? :laugh: )

This could be one of those downright awful years that we've seen some teams have.

Depends upon goals for. I'm expecting 20 goals and 50 points from EP. That takes care of 1 Sedin. Goldobin, Eriksson or someone else is going to have to compensate for the other one. If they get that contribution, their goals for should hover around 200~. Teams like OTT, BUF, ARZ and MTL could be around the same marker.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Depends upon goals for. I'm expecting 20 goals and 50 points from EP. That takes care of 1 Sedin. Goldobin, Eriksson or someone else is going to have to compensate for the other one. If they get that contribution, their goals for should hover around 200~. Teams like OTT, BUF, ARZ and MTL could be around the same marker.

Do you think Pettersson can produce that while playing on a line with Sutter? Or Gagner? It would be nice, but I don't know if he'll have the linemates to actually support him well enough (unless they load up the top line, move him to LW and put him with Brock and Bo).

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Do you think Pettersson can produce that while playing on a line with Sutter? Or Gagner? It would be nice, but I don't know if he'll have the linemates to actually support him well enough (unless they load up the top line, move him to LW and put him with Brock and Bo).
"The hockey guy" had him penciled in on the 'second line' with Loui and Virtanen. Ironic as both of them had opportunity to play with both Sedins, and never came close to their potential with them. So I'm sure both of them together would work with first year Petterson - because isn't he going to replace the offence of both the Sedins anyways?

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
"The hockey guy" had him penciled in on the 'second line' with Loui and Virtanen. Ironic as both of them had opportunity to play with both Sedins, and never came close to their potential with them. So I'm sure both of them together would work with first year Petterson - because isn't he going to replace the offence of both the Sedins anyways?

I had him starting off at RW, but you're right I suppose he could start off at C. Virtanen-Pettersson-Eriksson...I can't see that line producing much offense. Puck possession should be decent though.

Reactions: Pavel96

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Will the Canucks settle with Stecher before the arbitration hearing? Who is playing hardball here Jim or Troy?

Jake still hasn't signed, but didn't file for arbitration. Anybody got a line on this situation?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Really is telling now that Jim's only clear win of a trade came with Dorion, the one bigger idiot.

Puck Ingrate

Aug 18, 2011
MSP / YVR
Mentorship this, insulation that, protecting the kids...

The Canucks had the two best possible mentors in franchise history during these last few years, and the team still sucked. and As well, the few young players who were integrated into the lineup all experienced distinct development curves that largely matched their skill level, regardless of where they originally started in the lineup.

It's pretty clear that the reason Virtanen's not as talented as Horvat has nothing to do with the quality or frequency of mentorship each player received. If that's the case, why do people still hold this asinine idea that young players depend on "mentorship" to reach their potential? Sure, you need a bare minimum level of NHL depth, and you can't ice a team of 18 rookie skaters. But beyond that, there's no evidence that mentorship is what actually helps young players improve.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Will the Canucks settle with Stecher before the arbitration hearing? Who is playing hardball here Jim or Troy?

Jake still hasn't signed, but didn't file for arbitration. Anybody got a line on this situation?

Jake is not eligible for arbitration as he signed his ELC prior to turning 20 and requires four pro seasons.

Reactions: Peter10

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
In 2021 (3 years from now) half our roster is already set. And they include

Loui Erikson
Jay Beagle
Sven Baertschi
Antoine Roussell
Brandon Sutter
Erik Gudbranson

All of them 3 years older.

Yayyyyy to never being good again!

Jesus. At least 5 of those guys will be buyout candidates by then. Some already are.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

The Canucks had the two best possible mentors in franchise history during these last few years, and the team still sucked. and As well, the few young players who were integrated into the lineup all experienced distinct development curves that largely matched their skill level, regardless of where they originally started in the lineup.

It's pretty clear that the reason Virtanen's not as talented as Horvat has nothing to do with the quality or frequency of mentorship each player received. If that's the case, why do people still hold this asinine idea that young players depend on "mentorship" to reach their potential? Sure, you need a bare minimum level of NHL depth, and you can't ice a team of 18 rookie skaters. But beyond that, there's no evidence that mentorship is what actually helps young players improve.
Yeah...Sedins, Edler, Tanev and Sutter weren't enough "mentorship" to keep Virtanen and McCann on the straight and narrow in 15/16, were they?

In my nightmares this coming season, Pettersson and Dahlen both head back to Sweden after promising training camps where they were obviously superior talent to most of the vets at forward and decide privately to bide their time while Vancouver sorts out its managerial tire fire.

Reactions: Puck Ingrate

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

Nope.

Sub 60 point season sounds about right.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

I fairly certain that the word "mentorship" is just Jim & Trevor's code word for "lololo this idiot fan base thinks we're rebuilding"

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

I've said for a while that this is the year we bottom out.

I had hoped that we might start improving again after that, but I'm not so sure now. Our 1st round picks (plus, maybe Gaudette) are all going to have to step up their game(s).

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
The frustrating thing is that I was legitimately excited for this season.... I knew they were going to be crap but hey at least I could watch some fast paced, young guns hockey. Now they're going to be crap, and I have to watch them trot out lines of:

Erikkson - Schaler - Sutter
Roussel - Beagle - Gagner

I get why they signed some grit... but do you need three of them? On a team that rivals Buffalo as the most offensively inept team in the league, you suffocate the chance of young skilled forwards coming in with the likes of Roussel, Beagle and Schaler?

Lord have mercy on us all.

That is the whole thing right there. Bless the Sedins but I was excited to see them retire so the Canucks could finally properly rebuild and bring in a youth movement. There were already enough veterans here on long and bad contracts. Now they have added 3 more unnecessary bad contracts to the pile and have blocked many of the young prospects for a few years to come.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
BTW has anyone who likes these signings thought about the ramifications of the upcoming Luongo salary cap penalty, likely in the last 2 years of these unnecessary contracts?

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I fairly certain that the word "mentorship" is just Jim & Trevor's code word for "lololo this idiot fan base thinks we're rebuilding"
Exactly. They think it sounds good and it fits the narrative! So just say it. If you don't believe whatever they say and continue to pour money into them, you aren't a fan and you are impatient. They know better - just look at their track record right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->