2018 Hall of Fame Ballot released (Vlad, Chipper, Thome & Hoffman are in)

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Has no business in HOF but that 3 year stretch was dominant. Best pitcher in baseball during those years (04-06 i think).
He had a war over 20 during that stretch. Led the league in K's 3 times, whip 4 times and won 2 Cy's. He may mot be a hofer but he deserved to at least be on future ballots.

Reactions: darko
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I thought the Hall of Fame no longer allowed players to choose their own cap after Wade Boggs put his up for auction to the highest bidder and tried to go in as a Devil Ray

I also remember Gary Carter wanting to go in as a Met

It really doesn't seem right, IMO. I think Guerrero absolutely should be inducted as an Expo

I think they choose but in cases where it isn't overwhelmingly obvious, like with Boggs or Carter, they'll follow the players wishes.

Either way, glad to see an Angel finally get in, especially since we won't see another one for 20 years. Kind of funny that they can't even retire their first HoFers number, though.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah i thought the HOF chooses which cap you wear?

he should have gone in as an expo. he played there longer and had better numbers there

and what were the angels thinking giving trout #27? they really didn't think they'd end up retiring vlad's number?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I'm guessing his decision to go in as an Angel is financially motivated

He'll have for more opportunities for appearance fees in California than he would in Montreal

Last edited:

93Ducks

Go Ducks
May 15, 2010
I'm guessing his decision to go in as an Angel is financial motivated

He'll have for more opportunities for appearance fees in California than he would in Montreal

I mean or he could've just liked winning an MVP in Anaheim, the multiple playoff appearances, being a hugely recognizable and beloved figure in SoCal sports etc etc..

To me it's a toss up. He was a great Expo and Angel. Biased and glad he'll be the first Angel though.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think the thinking for Vlad is while he did have great runs with both teams, the fact he won an AL MVP while with the Angels is probably what tilted the decision in that direction.

I don't know why Expos fans are claiming the hall is trying to erase their existence. Gary Carter and Andre Dawson both went in as Expos and as far as i'm concerned, those guys mean more to the legacy of the Expos than Vlad ever did.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It's a business decision

There are just far more opportunities to capitalize on being a Hall of Famer as a member of a team that still exists

It's a simple as that

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Jack Morris is looking pretty good when the likes of Jim Thome and Trevor Hoffman are getting the nod.

If people are mad now, just wait until they elect David Ortiz. All while passing by Bonds and others.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Jack Morris is looking pretty good when the likes of Jim Thome and Trevor Hoffman are getting the nod.

If people are mad now, just wait until they elect David Ortiz. All while passing by Bonds and others.

Umm what? Thome is a no doubt HOFer. Hoffman is a joke, most will agree on that but Thome towers over Morris. It's like not even remotely close. Your Tiger's homer is showing pretty bad on this.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

giphy.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
yeah i thought the HOF chooses which cap you wear?

he should have gone in as an expo. he played there longer and had better numbers there

and what were the angels thinking giving trout #27? they really didn't think they'd end up retiring vlad's number?

I feel like people associate him more with the Angels, mainly because of the MVP award and probably because the Expos don't exist.

I'm guessing one day the Angels will do a double retire like the NY Rangers did with Graves/Bathgate.

Whats wrong with Jim Thome?

& if Ortiz gets in before Bonds that will be complete horseshit.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
It's a business decision

There are just far more opportunities to capitalize on being a Hall of Famer as a member of a team that still exists

It's a simple as that

It was also much harder to ignore that much of what got Carter and Dawson into the HOF was what they did with the Expos. Easier to get around that with Vlad.

Should be noted as well that its the HOF decides how a player is to be inducted in. If it was MLB, Carter would be in as a Met and Dawson as a Cub.

Reactions: Voight

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Jack Morris is irrelevant, the veteran's committee has a long history of letting in undeserving players. The voting was supposed to be the pinnacle.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I thought the Hall of Fame no longer allowed players to choose their own cap after Wade Boggs put his up for auction to the highest bidder and tried to go in as a Devil Ray

I also remember Gary Carter wanting to go in as a Met

It really doesn't seem right, IMO. I think Guerrero absolutely should be inducted as an Expo

What Boggs did was inexcusable but IMO they should still allow players to choose. I'd like to think that was a one-off. Halladay should go in as a Blue Jay (and most likely wanted to) but I can totally see the BBHOF screwing it up and having the P on his hat.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
What Boggs did was inexcusable but IMO they should still allow players to choose. I'd like to think that was a one-off. Halladay should go in as a Blue Jay (and most likely wanted to) but I can totally see the BBHOF screwing it up and having the P on his hat.

That would be legitimately insane if he went in with a Phillies hat. Yes, the perfect game + post-season no hitter in the same year was pretty incredible but it doesn't override the fact that he played 75% of his career with the Blue Jays and was the face of their franchise for a decade.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'm not sure Halladay is a HoF, I definitely wouldn't vote for him on such a crowded ballot with more deserving players,but as morbid as it sounds I think he's more likely to get in now than if he were still alive.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm not sure Halladay is a HoF, I definitely wouldn't vote for him on such a crowded ballot with more deserving players,but as morbid as it sounds I think he's more likely to get in now than if he were still alive.

Agree on Doc not being a sure fire HOFer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad