2018 Free Agent and Trade Thread - News? Hello? Please give us news

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
You pay your elite talent, trade the secondary talent and replace them with cheaper and younger alternatives.

They have almost 25M tied to Callahan, Johnson, Miller, Killorn and Palat. Trade a couple of them for picks and prospects, you're basically recycling your depth over and over. This is exactly what the Hawks did for so long and did it almost perfectly.

To me Callahan and Johnson need to be traded. Which weakens the team. I would take the Leafs lineup over TB minus those 2 players any day of the week.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Kucherov is a winger so thats more a Marner comparison but if Kucherov got 13M then Matthews has leverage on that.

McDavid and Eichel will ALWAYS be the comparisons used by Matthews. It makes sense for both parties to use it. McDavid is the high end, Eichel is the low end.

I think it makes the most sense to give him 10.5/11 over 8 years. Keeps everyone happy and about what you would have expected for Matthews anyways.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You pay your elite talent, trade the secondary talent and replace them with cheaper and younger alternatives.

They have almost 25M tied to Callahan, Johnson, Miller, Killorn and Palat. Trade a couple of them for picks and prospects, you're basically recycling your depth over and over. This is exactly what the Hawks did for so long and did it almost perfectly.
Totally agree.
Identify your core to pay.
Your core also can't be 14 players.
So listing off Rielly,Dermott,Gardiner,Hainsey,keep going, keep going isn't feasible.
From most of what we have seen, you focus on about 5 players.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Regardless. Don't bridge Marner or Nylander unless you want to pay them 8+ million in 2-3 years.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Kucherov is a winger so thats more a Marner comparison but if Kucherov got 13M then Matthews has leverage on that.

McDavid and Eichel will ALWAYS be the comparisons used by Matthews. It makes sense for both parties to use it. McDavid is the high end, Eichel is the low end.

I think it makes the most sense to give him 10.5/11 over 8 years. Keeps everyone happy and about what you would have expected for Matthews anyways.
Matthews is a center. Center always has premium IMO. And Matthews was on a PPG pace.
Kucherov is a 100 point winger.
Nylander 61,61
Marner: 61,69

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kucherov gets 9.5M. I think this sets the ceiling for Marner.

We can't ignore Kucherov was coming off a bridge deal, and so they are buying more UFA seasons.
However, we also must factor in net take home pay difference between Florida and Ontario.

Kucherov wasn't coming off his entry contract so he had more leverage than someone like Marner will have.

Kucherov was 3rd. in even strength points, Marner was 68th.

Reactions: IWD

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
To me Callahan and Johnson need to be traded. Which weakens the team. I would take the Leafs lineup over TB minus those 2 players any day of the week.

They will be, but then they still have Point on the cheap for a little while, they have a Cirelli, Katchouk, Raddysh and Volkov as young cheap depth coming up.

They will 100% lose really good secondary players and they might stumble a little bit, but the Leafs will as well. They won't be able to retain guys like Brown and Hyman in the near future, and that's why the Leafs need to be sure they have good young players coming up like Johnsson, Engvall, Grundstrom, Korshkov, Moore, etc.

This is how you survive after you've rebuilt your core. There's really no way around that.

AlmightyPO

Dec 13, 2009
London
We can't ignore Kucherov was coming off a bridge deal, and so they are buying more UFA seasons.
However, we also must factor in net take home pay difference between Florida and Ontario.

Kucherov wasn't coming off his entry contract so he had more leverage than someone like Marner will have.

Kucherov was 3rd. in even strength points, Marner was 68th.
I think Kucherov's contract will shut-up those who keep saying Marner is looking for 10M+. No way he gets that now when Kucherov doesn't get it coming off a bridge deal, and after two 40 goal, 85+ point seasons. Marner may come to the table at 9.5M but no way he is getting more.

If I'm management I bridge Nylander and try to lock up Marner and Matthews to 8 year deals. When its all said and done I'm expecting it to look like:

Matthews 10.5-11M x 8
Marner 7.5-9M x 8 (If I had to bet it would be on 7.5M if he signs this season/8.5M next season)
Nylander 6-6.5M x 2-3

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Honestly, I think the income tax thing is overblown.

Especially when dealing with Canadian teams. If the Canadian dollar keeps tanking, these guys will end up getting paid more to play in Ontario than they would to play in Florida, once you factor in exchange rate. All salaries are paid in USD.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

Especially when dealing with Canadian teams. If the Canadian dollar keeps tanking, these guys will end up getting paid more to play in Ontario than they would to play in Florida, once you factor in exchange rate. All salaries are paid in USD.

It is. There is a ton of tax strategy planning. There are also huge advantages to people who earn a majority of their income in a short period of time (aka Athletes) were they can put a good portion into a fund and eventually be taxed on it at reduced rates when they bring it out.

Not only that but I am willing to bet 90% of guys are set up as a business and are taking advantage of agents as expenses and all that as well. They aren't being taxed like you and I are.

Reactions: AlmightyPO

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

With the current exchange rate, Tavares is making 14.5M before tax (Canadian $). Canada definitely has it's benefits too.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010

Most of their securities, stocks, luxury items, secondary houses are paid for in USD.

And in what world could Marner justify $10 million a year coming off an ELC?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think Kucherov's contract will shut-up those who keep saying Marner is looking for 10M+. No way he gets that now when Kucherov doesn't get it coming off a bridge deal, and after two 40 goal, 85+ point seasons. Marner may come to the table at 9.5M but no way he is getting more.

If I'm management I bridge Nylander and try to lock up Marner and Matthews to 8 year deals. When its all said and done I'm expecting it to look like:

Matthews 10.5-11M x 8
Marner 7.5-9M x 8 (If I had to bet it would be on 7.5M if he signs this season/8.5M next season)
Nylander 6-6.5M x 2-3
I said this on some other threads and I will say it on here. With Kucherov signing and Tampa already having Stamkos, Headman and McDonagh signed long term, it should also shut up those people who said Dubas won't be able to sign Matthews, Marner and Nylander because he signed Tavares.

Reactions: AlmightyPO

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Matthews 8 years 10 million a season
Marner 8 years 6.75 million a season
Nylander 8 years 6.75 million a season

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Thanks Kuch - that should help give the Leafs some leverage in a cheaper “discount” deal for Matthews and Marner :nod:
It definitely does. I can't see us giving Matthews over 10M if Kucherov is getting less. I know they are different positions but Kucherov is a top player in the league and still very young.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It definitely does. I can't see us giving Matthews over 10M if Kucherov is getting less. I know they are different positions but Kucherov is a top player in the league and still very young.
The other difference is Kucherov is coming off a bridge contract, where as Matthews best comparisons in McDavid and Eichel signed for 8 years at $12.5 million AAV and 8 years at $10 million AAV prior to their ELC being finished.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
This would be exceptional to say the least.

I would go as far to say Matthews probably gets less then what Kucherov just got and closer to what Stamkos got. Yes Kucherov is playing a different position then Matthews, but we are talking one of the top talents in the league. Matthews isn't at McDavid's level (yet!!!), but he's definitely not at Kucherov's level. Kucherov deal is doing it for the team, taking less for the cap. This is what Matthews will be sold on. Wouldn't surprise me if its less then 10 million and not on an 8 year deal. Possibly a 5 year deal with a chance to make more later when cap goes up and other contracts are off the books. Become a free agent just like Tavares did as a 27-28 year old.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Either sign Gards to an extension, trade him or risk losing him for nothing next July 1st. The last option will piss off many posters on this board.

Option 1 should be keeping him.

People tend to underrate him because he’s a high event player, meaning when he makes mistakes, they tend to be more obvious, then when say, a Roman Polak made a mistake, despite Polak making them constantly.

Gardiner does way more good than bad.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
How about we start the season with him, hope his value to the team increases. Try to sign to an extension, if it doesn't work then deal him at deadline. In the end I think that Zaitsev should be shopped prior to him as his cap hit for the next 6 seasons can be put towards other priorities. If there is a way to rid yourself of Zaitsev I would aim for that first and then attempt to resign Gardiner.

This is the only thing I don't want to do. Compare it to the Donaldson situation:

Either trade the guy prior to the season starting (not forced to keep him for a run, not forced to trade him for a discount at the deadline), or sign him to an extension.

Personally I look at the latter first, and really exhaust all extension options. If we can't get anything done, he's had a great career in blue & white and it's time for him to go. Great team's don't lose premium assets for nothing (JVR/Bozak).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad