GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I'm optimistic they won't be able to get near Beagle with a # of playoff teams probably interested. Bozak I can see being pursued by a number of playoffs teams trying to get that 3C guy that can fill in at 2C when needed after watching how valuable Ellers was for Washington.

The guy I'd be worried about them signing is Reaves. I don't see him being a hot ticket item personally and I wouldn't be surprised if he's a Canuck after July 1st.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Players I'd have interest in signing, in no specific order:

Martin Frk
Michael Grabner
Matt Calvert
Tim Schaller
Antoine Rousell

Greg Pateryn
Calvin De Haan

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Calvin De Haan should be our #1 target.

He won't cost and arm and a leg and is the perfect partner to pair up with Hughes long term.

Will also ease the worry that some have of trading Tanev and Edler TDL and the resulting lack of pro experience on the Dline.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Jay Beagle would be a good sign, perfect 4th line C.

I do think Canucks should wait until next season and go all in on Karlsson.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

1) Beagle will get overpaid due to the shine of winning the cup, not worth it when you can get totally fine 4th line guys for cheaper. We need to keep hammering home the concept of budget signings.

2) Even if Karlsson makes it to UFA, which is very unlikely, why would he move out of the burning house of Ottawa and into the ashes of the Vancouver organization?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
2) Even if Karlsson makes it to UFA, which is very unlikely, why would he move out of the burning house of Ottawa and into the ashes of the Vancouver organization?

Canucks can offer him a ton of money, the team has an excellent set of young players, Canucks have a long history of being good to swedish players, and Vancouver is one of the nicest places to live in the world.

Reactions: Mudshark50

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Jay Beagle would be an absolutely terrible signing.

The guy is 33 years old and paying a massive premium for an old 4th line center whose play is about to fall off a cliff is completely idiotic.

Reactions: shortshorts

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Jay Beagle would be an absolutely terrible signing.

The guy is 33 years old and paying a massive premium for an old 4th line center whose play is about to fall off a cliff is completely idiotic.

He plays a solid 13 mins a game, is used extensively on PK, was the best face-off guy on Washington, and produces solely on even strength. That's an excellent 4th line C.

Canucks are going to have a very young team on forwards, they need some veterans to provide leadership and guidance.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He plays a solid 13 mins a game, is used extensively on PK, was the best face-off guy on Washington, and produces solely on even strength. That's an excellent 4th line C.

Canucks are going to have a very young team on forwards, they need some veterans to provide leadership and guidance.

He was a good 4th line forward in the past relative to his cheap contract.

He's 33.

Non-elite pretty much without exception fall off a cliff at age 32-34.

He is highly unlikely to be a good 4th line forward going forward relative to the contract he receives.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Would be fine with him coming back. This is exactly why I’m fine with dumping Cassels. Can play C in Utica in all situations and put up points. He was given Gaunce usage here last year, hard to impress in those kind of minutes. Was a captain in College so I’m sure he’d be a leader in Utica as well.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Won’t happen but offering 1 yr deals to Nash and Neal for 7-8mil each and then retaining salary on a deadline deal would prob net a good return.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Grabner isn’t scoring 20 goals with Sutter

Not many players can score 27 plus goals with less than 15 minutes and not much pp time.

A lot of Grabner goals is not because he has an elite center. It's because of his speed, hands, reads the play well defensively, good at taking the puck away and he so good at transitioning the puck up ice with his speed. With Sutter he can still do all the things that got him goals.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
What contract would you.offer him.
And just remember this might be one of his last big pay day contract. So the contract will have to entice him to sign hwre

I probably won't go more than 3 or 4 years. Canucks have cap space now but they will need to use A lot of cap space because if Hughes turns pro next year. That means in 3 years Pettersson and Hughes contract ends at the same time. Thise two with Boeser extension and Horvat 5.5. You are looking at 30 M for those 4 players.

Probably 3 or 4 yrs between 4 to 5 M

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Not many players can score 27 plus goals with less than 15 minutes and not much pp time.

A lot of Grabner goals is not because he has an elite center. It's because of his speed, hands, reads the play well defensively, good at taking the puck away and he so good at transitioning the puck up ice with his speed. With Sutter he can still do all the things that got him goals.

Grabners success in NY is in large part due to AV’s system which is tailor made to speedy transition players

We don’t play the same system and Sutter can’t pass, highly doubt green wants the winger on his shut down line flying the zone

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The negotiating window for free agents opened today. Rick Dhaliwal reports the Canucks reached out to the agents for Tyler Bozak and Jay Beagle, while there has been no progress on a new contract for Darren Archibald:

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011

Archibald is one of my favourite Rick Rypien heart and soul kind of guys.

Really hopefully they give him a contract!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad