GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
The window to speak to and negotiate with UFAs is here.

Who should we target?

Who should we avoid??

Who can we sign in.hopes that we can sell them off at the deadline ?

7 yrs 13 mil per year offer on JT?

The crazyness starts at midnight !

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Grabner. Put him on the third line with Sutter and he can probably still get 20 goals. Grabner is a type of player that doesnt need a good center to score.

Last edited:

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I'm all in on grabby. Always loved the kid. Was at the draft here when we drafted him. Was pissed when we dealt him. Add him, petterson , possibly Hughes. This team might not win a lot but boy could they be fun to watch.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Grabner. Put him on the second line with Sutter and he can probably still get 20 goals. Grabner is a type of player that doesnt need a center to score.

What contract would you.offer him.
And just remember this might be one of his last big pay day contract. So the contract will have to entice him to sign hwre

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Yeah I'd give a 1 year deal to Grabner and see if we can get a pick out of him at the TDL. Wouldn't give him anything more than that...

If we're not going to use our capspace for anything better, I'd be fine with overpaying him by a few mil too.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
I suspect Grabner will be all about seeking term, he seems like the type that could disappear from the NHL any given offseason. He's going to want to make some gauranteed money.

I bet there are teams that offer him 3 - 4 years, and I hope it isn't us.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah I'd give a 1 year deal to Grabner and see if we can get a pick out of him at the TDL. Wouldn't give him anything more than that...

If we're not going to use our capspace for anything better, I'd be fine with overpaying him by a few mil too.
There would be 0 incentive for Grabner to sign a 1 yr deal.
He is 30 yrs old and coming off back to back 27 goal season.

He is cashing in .

Im guessing it will take 5mil per year for 3 yrs to get his agent to even pick up the call.

Reactions: biturbo19

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Avoid any one on a multi-year deal.

I'd only be willing to target guys on slightly overpaid one year deals if you can get a tangible trade return later in the season.

Otherwise look to weaponize the cap space.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
wABmWTK.png

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don't think we need to bring in any forwards. Maybe bring in a Matt Stajan type if Sutter gets traded.

If we can flip MDZ/Biega for a pick and maybe Hutton for the right deal while signing someone like DeHaan, Hickey or Franson I'd do it but I want a quiet free agency.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Tyler Bozak is the literal definition of a bad contract about to happen.

A 40-50 point player in his early 30s who has been fairly effective but is incredibly unlikely to continue to be that effective on his new contact as the majority of players fall off at this age. Exact same thing as the Backes/Ladd/Nielsen/Eriksson/Brouwer disasters of 2016.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Avoid any one on a multi-year deal.

I'd only be willing to target guys on slightly overpaid one year deals if you can get a tangible trade return later in the season.

Otherwise look to weaponize the cap space.
Overpaying guys to take shorter term (ideally one year) is weaponizing cap size.

That should be the route we go. Overpay guys that will have some trade value later in the season to get them on one year deals. Other than the pipe dreams of Tavares and maybe Carlson, there are no free agents that would be on this team when it's competitive down the road.

Reactions: biturbo19

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I think people are a little unclear on a few things here.

FREE AGENCY IS ALL ABOUT OVERPAYMENTS.........If we hope to lure anyone to our team atm we will have to do just that. I can live with anything that's no more than 3 years. Preferably 2 but rather doubtful anyone in the position to be able to write their own ticket is who's worth anything will do that. Players like Grabner who have put in their dues are not looking at one year contracts......even at gross overpayments.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Good god please no- that would be such a JB thing to do. Honestly I wouldn't mind Bozak on a max 2 year deal. Basically anyone at a max 2 year deal I could stomach. But I too would rather just wait until a week in when the over priced guys are gone and sign the remaining options to 1 year deals.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
The main focus should be trying to acquire a cap dump for assets, but since they are completely incompetent that isn't an option.

Throw a cheap one year deal at guys like Hamhuis/Hickey and Hansen, avoid players like Bozak and JVR who are going to be severely overpaid.
Maybe offer a contract to Matthew Peca and/or Jakub Jerabek.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Stay far far away from Bozak.

I"m with MS in that de Haan is probably the only one I would invest in. Tavares too obviously but I don't see him wanting to come here so that's moot. Aside from that, the only players we should be signing are 1-year contracts that are very cheap. Players to flip at the deadline for DRAFT PICKS (no more Tyler Motte's).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad