NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Zadina and svechnikov are weird for me so I just take the opinion of the scouts. When I watch them rarely do I say wow. They’re just super toolsy and super smart and get the job done. Which is 100% fine. Just misleading when you watch them or watch a highlight pack.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
My own personal top 4 is Dalhin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk....soooo nothing earth shattering.

Dahlin is obviously the dream, but I still think this team needs some top end scoring talent. Who's the best goal scoring prospect in the system right now for Ottawa? Gagne? Perron? Brown? Are we feeling warm and fuzzy about any of them yet?

That's why I'm forward heavy after Dahlin. The team needs to get some seriously skilled players to round out that top 6 and have 2 dangerous lines to roll with each night.

Just my 2 cents.

If you want s seriously skilled forward you should have Wallstrom ahead of Chuck.

Reactions: DJB

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
If we don't gey Dahlin or Svechnikov, I'd be totally fine with Evan Bouchard.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
They seem to be pretty far apart for anyone to be thinking of drafting wahlstrom ahead of tkatchuk

They really shouldn't be.

Production at the same age:

USHL
Wahlstrom: 14GP-13G-8A-21P
Tkachuk: 24GP-11G-12A-23P

US U18 Team
Wahlstrom: 36GP-29-21A-50P
Tkachuk: 61GP-25G-29A-54P

Stats are somewhat skewed in Wahlstrom's favour, as he gets to play with future top pick Jack Hughes, while Tkachuk led his team in scoring and didn't play with the same kind of talent, but still that much of a difference in production indicates that Wahlstrom is the better offensive player at the same age.

And like Tkachuk, Wahlstrom is a very toolsy player. Real solid kid at 6'1, 205lbs, skates very well and has a terrific shot. He's got a ton of qualities you look for in a goal scoring winger.

Tkachuk has more hype because:

a) he's a year older, so naturally he looks more impressive in the same season
b) he had a really good WJC - the biggest stage with a ton of eyes watching
c) his last name is Tkachuk, and his brother has blown expectations out of the water thus far

Overall, they are probably on the same tier as prospects, and picking one over the other shouldn't be surprising at all.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Outside of Dahlin and Svechnikov, Dobson is still the guy I'm hoping the Sens end up with.

52P in 50GP
6'3, 180lbs
High-end hockey sense
Excellent skater
Great vision and passing ability
Rocket of a shot

Has all the tools to be a #1 defenseman. Pietrangelo is a good comparable in terms of upside.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

USHL

US U18 Team

Stats are somewhat skewed in Wahlstrom's favour, as he gets to play with future top pick Jack Hughes, while Tkachuk led his team in scoring and didn't play with the same kind of talent, but still that much of a difference in production indicates that Wahlstrom is the better offensive player at the same age.

And like Tkachuk, Wahlstrom is a very toolsy player. Real solid kid at 6'1, 205lbs, skates very well and has a terrific shot. He's got a ton of qualities you look for in a goal scoring winger.

c) his last name is Tkachuk, and his brother has blown expectations out of the water thus far

Overall, they are probably on the same tier as prospects, and picking one over the other shouldn't be surprising at all.

I feel like Brady is getting the Alex Nylander treatment because of his older brother.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

USHL

US U18 Team

Yeah from a skill perspective it shouldn't be that crazy to have Wahlstrom ahead of Tkachuk for the reasons you just mentioned. Tkachuk is the intangibles guy in this draft, the type of guy people say will helps you even if he's not scoring. He plays physical, tough, fearless hockey. It reminds me of what people said about Crouse. It seems like Tkachuk gets more of a pass when it comes to lesser production. He went 13 games without a goal to start the year, and he's still scoring a fair bit below a point per game [Bowers has the same point production on the same team] but he's never really moved that far down in draft rankings.
I was concerned with his production heading into the World Juniors, and then he somewhat won me over with his play in that tournament. He played an intrusive game and also produced well. But, it just seems like he's more of a support player. I think his brother is the same. They can be good players- annoying to play against, solid production, but just not those high skill level forwards that will consistently lead they way on their teams/lines.

Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina are easily 1-2-3 for me right now. I wouldn't automatically go with Tkachuk after that, though; there are a few d-men that would need to be considered at that point, and maybe Wahlstrom as well. Not sure how much people have seen of Boqvist but in the highlight videos, 1- he's a great skater, 2- he wants the puck on his stick, 3- he loves his wrist shot much more than his slap shot. The Karlsson comparison obviously draw you in. He's someone I think the Sens would be high on.

Reactions: senswon

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Whatever happened to jake wise. I remember two years ago he was touted as THE guy here.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Heard over the weekend that some teams are very high on both Xavier Bernard and Xavier Bouchard. I never heard any of the teams in particular, or what "very high" entailed.

I haven't seen either guy play before, so I have nothing to say other than passing that info on.

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Heard over the weekend that some teams are very high on both Xavier Bernard and Xavier Bouchard. I never heard any of the teams in particular, or what "very high" entailed.

I haven't seen either guy play before, so I have nothing to say other than passing that info on.
I’m all for having xaviers on the team. Where are they ranked?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I like Svenchnikov or Wahlsrom at RW. Tkachuk or Zadina at LW or Bouchard, Dobson or Wilde at RD. Don't want Bodquist or Hughes but my guess is that PD will draft Bodquist. Kind of hope they make a move to acquire another 1st rd pick but not at the expense of Hoffman.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I like Svenchnikov or Wahlsrom at RW. Tkachuk or Zadina at LW or Bouchard, Dobson or Wilde at RD. Don't want Bodquist or Hughes but my guess is that PD will draft Bodquist. Kind of hope they make a move to acquire another 1st rd pick but not at the expense of Hoffman.

Why?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm starting to fall in love with Tkachuk to be honest after watching more film on him . A part of his game that is very underrated is his passing game. He's pretty creative and has the ability to find the open guy for a shot or to then move into a position to get it back for a high scoring play.

The thought of a top 6 poop disturber that can score play physical like a Marchand is extremely appealing

Reactions: coladin

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

USHL

US U18 Team

I've been very high on Wahl Strom all year long . He's not getting nearly the attention he deserves. I have had him 5th for a while now.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm starting to fall in love with Tkachuk to be honest after watching more film on him . A part of his game that is very underrated is his passing game. He's pretty creative and has the ability to find the open guy for a shot or to then move into a position to get it back for a high scoring play.

The thought of a top 6 poop disturber that can score play physical like a Marchand is extremely appealing

Yes yes yes.

Reactions: DJB

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If we could get a mid 1st for Brassard, we could get two very good prospects this year.

Go with a forward should Svechnikov/Zadina/Wahlstrom/Tkachuk be there (outside of getting 1st pick), and use the ~15-20 pick to grab McIsaac. He is going to make GM's wish they took him sooner, he thinks the game so well.

Man, our 2nd rounder would be a huge asset to have now. Lots of good players will be left there, or we could have used it to jump up 4/5 spots from the 20's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad