NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He could be our very own Wayne Simmonds type player. Would be nice to see Brady on our PP.

That's a pretty good comparison to be honest outside of the obvious "Bigger than Mathew" comp I suppose. The added bonus is that he's probably going to be 30 pounds heavier than Simmonds too.

I don't see a Lucic comparison as some have tossed around. For one it's doubtful Brady weighs close to 250 at any point other than retirement like his dad lol, and I think Brady is more skilled.

Now Lucic has definitely lost a step and some of his skill but it's also obvious he was carried by Bergeron for a few years .

Either way let's hope we stay in the top 3 to have a potential shot at him or one of the other high end guys

R2010

May 23, 2011
Just noticed Bowers is on the same team and has more goals, nearly the same points and is only 1.5 months older than Tkachuk.

Reactions: JungleBeat

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
That's a pretty good comparison to be honest outside of the obvious "Bigger than Mathew" comp I suppose. The added bonus is that he's probably going to be 30 pounds heavier than Simmonds too.

I don't see a Lucic comparison as some have tossed around. For one it's doubtful Brady weighs close to 250 at any point other than retirement like his dad lol, and I think Brady is more skilled.

Now Lucic has definitely lost a step and some of his skill but it's also obvious he was carried by Bergeron for a few years .

Either way let's hope we stay in the top 3 to have a potential shot at him or one of the other high end guys

Lucic played with Krejci not Bergeron.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I personally do not want to draft Tkachuk, but I will understand and come around to it pretty quickly.

His offensive game is being shortchanged.

There are still 3/4 guys I'd rather have at 4 than him though.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Also would not be surprised to hear Joel Teasedale's named called by Dorion on the 2nd day either. Ticks a lot of boxes for us.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Yuck, please don’t draft Tkachuk.
If we're drafting after 5 and Tkachuk is available I don't mind at all with selecting him. However if we pass on the likes of Svechnikov, Zadina and Boqvist. I'd be upset. With the selection.
I do like Tkachuk but not ahead of the guys mentioned above.

Reactions: Micklebot

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I feel like Boqvist is being rated too high, I'd take 2/3 D before him
For the Sens maybe,.. for other teams that don't have that level of play making ability on the back end ...maybe not. I see him as being more offensively gifted .. like Quinn Hughes
I could see the Sens wanting a more hybrid D with more size and better attention to defense. Dobson and Bouchard, maybe McIsaac fit that better. I have just seen glimpses of all these players so far.. Hlinka , Prospects game and promo vids.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
For the Sens maybe,.. for other teams that don't have that level of play making ability on the back end ...maybe not. I see him as being more offensively gifted .. like Quinn Hughes
I could see the Sens wanting a more hybrid D with more size and better attention to defense. Dobson and Bouchard, maybe McIsaac fit that better. I have just seen glimpses of all these players so far.. Hlinka , Prospects game and promo vids.
I like McIsaac, a lot, but not in the range we are picking.

I haven't been a huge fan of Boqvist where he is slated in the draft, always viewed him in the 10 range.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Zadina would be a guy I'd like to pick but whoever we pick I'd be happy with, some great talent available this year.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Things (generational players) come in pairs.

Pittsburgh got Mario and Sid.

Edmonton got Gretz and McJesus.

Ottawa gets Karlsson and Dahlin.

BOOK IT!!

:naughty::nod::thumbu:

Reactions: Hutz

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Things (generational players) come in pairs.

Pittsburgh got Mario and Sid.

Edmonton got Gretz and McJesus.

Ottawa gets Karlsson and Dahlin.

BOOK IT!!

:naughty::nod::thumbu:
For me alf i think its him or bust,We get the surefire guy or maybe we should look to trading the pick...

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
For me alf i think its him or bust,We get the surefire guy or maybe we should look to trading the pick...
Svechnikov is nothing to shake a stick at, he is a star in the making.

He has everything you want in an offensive player, in an absolutely elite frame.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I'd love to build our team around Dahlin and Chabot (oh and Karlsson) on the blueline for the next decade. It would be a lot like Anaheim's 2007 team, IMO.

That being said I think Svechnikov is going to score a lot of goals in the NHL. I'm less certain about Zadina but I think he'll be prolific as well.

If we miss out on Dahlin there are some really nice players left to be had.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'd love to build our team around Dahlin and Chabot (oh and Karlsson) on the blueline for the next decade. It would be a lot like Anaheim's 2007 team, IMO.

That being said I think Svechnikov is going to score a lot of goals in the NHL. I'm less certain about Zadina but I think he'll be prolific as well.

If we miss out on Dahlin there are some really nice players left to be had.
Maybe but a good young nhler,can be the ticket too....Its good to at least have some options moving forward,and TBH i dont think we will be as bad next season

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like McIsaac, a lot, but not in the range we are picking.

I haven't been a huge fan of Boqvist where he is slated in the draft, always viewed him in the 10 range.

Boqvist was a clear standout at the Hlinka .. he had a really good tournament .. really good offensive D in that small sample size.

definite maybe on McIsaac even at 10 but still some time for him to move up into that 10-12 area

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
My own personal top 4 is Dalhin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk....soooo nothing earth shattering.

Dahlin is obviously the dream, but I still think this team needs some top end scoring talent. Who's the best goal scoring prospect in the system right now for Ottawa? Gagne? Perron? Brown? Are we feeling warm and fuzzy about any of them yet?

That's why I'm forward heavy after Dahlin. The team needs to get some seriously skilled players to round out that top 6 and have 2 dangerous lines to roll with each night.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
My own personal top 4 is Dalhin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk....soooo nothing earth shattering.

Dahlin is obviously the dream, but I still think this team needs some top end scoring talent. Who's the best goal scoring prospect in the system right now for Ottawa? Gagne? Perron? Brown? Are we feeling warm and fuzzy about any of them yet?

That's why I'm forward heavy after Dahlin. The team needs to get some seriously skilled players to round out that top 6 and have 2 dangerous lines to roll with each night.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob has the same top 4 ... LWOH as well ... with a bit of a writeup 2018 NHL Draft February Rankings: Top Five - Last Word on Hockey

I am intrigued by Wahlstrom if we are in the 6,7,8 area but it might be hard to pass on Dobson or Bouchard there as well.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Just my 2 cents.
Agree with you. Having that near sure fire scoring prospect with oedigree in the system woukd be nice. We definitely can’t “pass” on dahlin, but if he’s gone, I’m not kicking myself on having to draft a svechnikov.

If we draft dahlin though it could potentially allow us to ACTUALLY shop ceci for some scoring help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad