NHL Entry Draft 2018 Draft - Prospect Discussion (Poll added)

Wth the 4th OA, who do we pick

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He doesn't have a man body, he just has a very projectable one. He's 6-0, 180.

Believe me, size has nothing to d with it. Everyone will marvel at him at the World Juniors next year.
There was a Hughes v Lafreniere debate going on in the prospect board a little while ago... people were split for the most part.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I see Zadina quite a bit (live). Some days he's amazing, others he seems happy to sit on the perimeter too much. He's a better playmaker than he gets credit for though, I think that skill is underrated with him. When he's on I don't see a big difference between what he's doing this year vs what Hischier did last year. He's just not been as consistent as Nico was last year (based on my viewings, which were really only 10ish games each year).

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised/I'm expecting Zadina to slide a bit on draft day

Zadina has been pretty steadily ranked #3 behind Dahlin and Svechnikov.. If the Sens pick 3rd who would you take?
How would you compare Zadina and Tolvanen .. I see them as similar players that shine blue line in

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
He doesn't have a man body, he just has a very projectable one. He's 6-0, 180.

Believe me, size has nothing to d with it. Everyone will marvel at him at the World Juniors next year.
To add to this I've had the chance to watch him a couple of times this year and every time he was the best player on the ice and it wasn't even close. He's noticeably better than most players out there.

The Océanic are playing in Gatineau this Saturday if anybody wants to watch him in person.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Zadina has been pretty steadily ranked #3 behind Dahlin and Svechnikov.. If the Sens pick 3rd who would you take?
How would you compare Zadina and Tolvanen .. I see them as similar players that shine blue line in
I'd still take Zadina, but he hasn't looked as good since the new year. I can't really compare, I haven't seen much of Tolvanen.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I prefer Tkachuk over Zadina, but the top 6 are all excellent propsects it would seem. Can anyone venture what we may be looking at for the Pittsburgh pick?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Tkachuk has Lawson Crouse written all over him, he won't get passed over and fall in the draft like Crouse did just because of his name recognition.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
One potential target with Pittsburgh's pick could be Serron Noel. He is 6'5 and 200 lbs. He has 25 goals and 19 assists for 44 points in 55 games played. Here are some write ups on him from OHLProspectsBlogSpot

“Noel had a good Top Prospects game and may have improved his draft stock. He is a giant of a winger that uses his size well to his advantage, but is not an overly aggressive player. He is a competent skilled player that can handle the puck well, makes plays and has creative offensive vision.” - Peter Harling

“Big, strong kid with a much upside as any draft eligible. Takes it to the net, decent hands, still getting stronger a figuring out body. Good character kid.” - Todd Warriner

"The word “raw” gets thrown out a lot with Noel and for good reason. He’s got size and he skates well, but there are still moments where he doesn’t look comfortable. He’s got good finishing ability and his size is going to allow him to get his looks. I like what he offers physically, but it seems sometimes that becomes too much of a focus because of his size. He does good work along the boards and in his own zone. I still don’t think he’s figured out how he wants to play regularly. But that’ll come with time and I think anyone would give a player of his size and talent all the time in the world." - Mark McKelvie

"I'm a big fan and I'll tell you why. Watch the Generals play and count the number of prime time scoring chances this guy creates, or is on the receiving end of. If he was able to finish off even half of those scoring chances, he'd be top 20 in scoring (easily). But the coordination, focus, and finishing ability just aren't quite polished yet as he learns to utilize his size advantage. As he gets stronger, will we see those components to his game improve? I think it's very likely. Maybe there is a slight risk that he's another Colton Gillies type. But there's also a chance that he develops into a top notch power forward who can take over games. The risk/reward is worth it IMO, especially with him being ranked in the mid/late first round right now." - Brock Otten

“I've been fairly high on Noel for most of the season and a lot of that has to do that I think his upside is through the roof. He moves well for a player of his size and I think he has good offensive instincts. There's a rawness to him that raises the risk factor in terms of projecting him out, but I think that's a risk I'd be willing to take in the latter half of the first round.” - Anonymous

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
One potential target with Pittsburgh's pick could be Serron Noel. He is 6'5 and 200 lbs. He has 25 goals and 19 assists for 44 points in 55 games played. Here are some write ups on him from OHLProspectsBlogSpot
No thanks to Noel, he doesn't have the latent skill that's needed in the NHL.

He has never been able to produce, even in minor hockey, and he doesn't show or flash a yet to come out ability. I'd stay as far away as possible.

Reactions: DJB

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Does anyone have a scouting report on Curtis Douglas from the OHL? He is 6'8 and 232 lbs. This season he has 7 goals and 11 assists for 18 points in 28 games playing for the Barrie Colts. He was then traded to the Windsor spitfires where he as 13 goals and 12 assists for 25 points in 30 games.

What kind of upside does he have? Would he be a worthwhile mid draft pick?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Does anyone have a scouting report on Adam Klapka? He is currently ranked 67 among European skaters. He is listed at 6'7 and 236 lbs and he plays right wing.

This is his career statistics.

CAREER STATISTICS Use/Embed statistics

SEASONTEAMLEAGUEGPGATPPIM+/- POSTGPGATPPIM+/-
2014-15 HC Slavia Praha U16 Czech U1635551022-4| Playoffs20000-1
2015-16 HC Slavia Praha U16 Czech U16383227595031| Playoffs221321
HC Slavia Praha U18 Czech U1830002-1|
Czech Republic U16 (all) International-Jr502221|
2016-17 HC Slavia Praha U18 Czech U181591120147|
2017-18 HC Slavia Praha U18 Czech U1813155201217|
HC Slavia Praha U20 Czech U20202201
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tkachuk has Lawson Crouse written all over him, he won't get passed over and fall in the draft like Crouse did just because of his name recognition.
There’s become this stereotype with all NA kids hat have edge. Crouse could not and still cannot do what tkatchuk did in the world juniors. Tkatchuk has a legit talent. Crouse always looked like a bust

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Dahlin is probably the only NHL ready guy to play next year.
Svechnikov will be ready next year.

Have a feeling we’ll take Dobson with a top five pick, that’ll be unfortunate. Not a fan of his game to warrant him going that high.

Last edited:

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
My own personal top 4 is Dalhin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk....soooo nothing earth shattering.

Dahlin is obviously the dream, but I still think this team needs some top end scoring talent. Who's the best goal scoring prospect in the system right now for Ottawa? Gagne? Perron? Brown? Are we feeling warm and fuzzy about any of them yet?

That's why I'm forward heavy after Dahlin. The team needs to get some seriously skilled players to round out that top 6 and have 2 dangerous lines to roll with each night.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh absolutely. You have to go BPA, if that's Dahlin, so be it. But this team needs a young scoring forward (or two) in a bad way. I would not cry if we ended up with Svechnikov.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Alexis Lafreniere (2020 Draft) scored his 40 , 41 goals tonight .. 1st 16 year old since Sid to do that.

Was he well known before this year? Like Crosby, McDavid, I knew those names when they were 13 or 14. But I used to pay more attention to the prospect boards. Is this kid considered close to that level? Out of the loop now.

Edit: never mind, several posts have answered that question. My bad. For the kids: always read first.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
There’s become this stereotype with all NA kids hat have edge. Crouse could not and still cannot do what tkatchuk did in the world juniors. Tkatchuk has a legit talent. Crouse always looked like a bust

Crouse was drafted too high and was rushed to the league, but it's way too early to say he is a bust.

He's producing the same as White and Chlapik in the AHL this season, and they obviously aren't busts.

He'll probably carve out a career as a good bottom 6er in the Zack Smith mold.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Crouse was drafted too high and was rushed to the league, but it's way too early to say he is a bust.

He's producing the same as White and Chlapik in the AHL this season, and they obviously aren't busts.

He'll probably carve out a career as a good bottom 6er in the Zack Smith mold.
That’s a bust tho..... the guy was a top 15 pic in one of the best first round ever. If he’s a good bottom 6er. That’s a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad